A New Hope - KDE 4 multiplatform

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I SERIOUSLY doubt that KDE on Win will be lighter than default explorer... i also see possible compatibility issues...
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi all
KDE 4 will be released in october
what year 07 / 08 / 09 /and up
i fink it may be interesting to have a look at it when it is released
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Theoretically, 07.
meg112

Post by meg112 »

Reacter wrote:Linux is Linux. MenuetOS is MenuetOS. Windows is Windows. ROS is ROS. ROS shares interface with Windows. Let Unix branches keep their GUI. KDE can be downloaded later.
Are you crazy? :shock: we are talk about opensource software!!
ROS share code with Linux and this is right! I say NO to protectionism!

initially, i think ROS could use kde 4... this let the developer more time and resources for the frameworks.... and after this they could work on a dedicated GUI

MadWolf wrote:hi all
KDE 4 will be released in october
what year 07 / 08 / 09 /and up
i fink it may be interesting to have a look at it when it is released
it will be released in october 2007. now it's in alpha stage
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

meg112 wrote: Are you crazy? :shock: we are talk about opensource software!!
ROS share code with Linux and this is right! I say NO to protectionism!
What part of code does ReactOS share with Linux??
meg112 wrote: initially, i think ROS could use kde 4... this let the developer more time and resources for the frameworks.... and after this they could work on a dedicated GUI
Even if using it would be a good idea, it`s still not mature enough.
meg112

Post by meg112 »

What part of code does ReactOS share with Linux??
look this http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/Links

related projects section near Wine project
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

WINE isn't Linux specific. Several of its components can be used to replace DLLs in Windows. That may change if WINE actually does decide to break Windows compatibility, at which point we'd basically have forked off the code we'd need if it messes with our work.

The only thing we got from Linux itself would be USB support, and that's incomplete anyways. It's not like anything else from Linux would be useful to us, since they're built using a completely different architecture.
meg112

Post by meg112 »

however linux share some code with ROS ....the concept remains the same....this is the way!
FSX

Re: A New Hope - KDE 4 multiplatform

Post by FSX »

meg112 wrote:KDE 4 will be released in october. it's new because runs on windows and OSX (multiplatform).
may be a good idea using it on ReactOS, because KDE is free.
It could be helpful for developers. they can concentrate their efforts in frameworks, because the windows manager already exists.
it is no use developing 20 times the same things! :wink:

what do you think about?
Even though this isn't on topic, I would use KDE for Windows anytime. That's just SOOOO awesome...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I stand corrected. The current USB code is from a non-Linux source.

People assume that just because we're GPL means we can or should make use of Linux code. Absolutely no. We're based off a completely different architecture, making a lot of their work useless. Everything they've implemented, we basically have to reimplement ourselves anyways. Sometimes their code is useful to look at, just to examine their drivers to see how hardware works. But all we need are the basics anyways, and we could just as easily examine BSD code.

It's far easier from a theoretical standpoint for the BSDs, Linux, and even Solaris to share code, barring the licensing issues, because they're all trying to create a UNIX like system. We are not. As such, we cannot use their code directly if we wish to create an NT-compatible system. This was one area where Alex was really helpful on, because he forced out all the code hacked in from Linux and reimplemented it properly.

And as a final word on KDE4, from our viewpoint, it differs greatly from the default Windows shell. As such, it is unsuitable as our default shell, as our objective is also to duplicate the look and feel of NT.
meg112

Post by meg112 »

If ROS doesn't share code with linux you have to rewrite all wiki pages...
:roll:

windows is not perfect!

if kde works on win i think it will work on ROS... we will see it in october

Ionescu has given a big hand to ros but now he's gone... the development continues...
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

What pages exactly???

AFAIK, the previous USB driver may have been based on Linux version, but this doesn`t mean that Linux and ROS share code!

Linux is Posix-alike on Linux kernel, ROS is Win32 on NT kernel. You could try to share solutions, but not code!

WINE works on Linux, but it doesn`t mean WINE IS LINUX. WINE IS a Linux based Win32 compatibility layer. We cooperate in DirectX develompent and use their Win32 dlls.

Still, our ReactX is more alike Directx than WINE`s (our`s a real clone, whereas theit Dx is being emulated over OpenGL), Dll`s that we use, are Win32 dlls (not Linux)!

I still can't think how anyone could get the impression of Linux and ROS sharing code.

ROS is not Linux! ROS is NT!
noccy

Post by noccy »

Why is everyone going on about replacing stuff that you can actually download and install yourself later on? It's no rocket science, and if regular windows users are gonna feel comfortable, it must look and act as closely to windows as possible.

I am currently the main developer of bbClean, a bb4win branch (actually a bbLean branch, which is a branch of bb4win), and I of coarse use bbClean on all my systems. Still, those who want to use bbClean should install it themself. It shouldn't be bundled by default with the official ReactOS install. Neither should LiteStep, KDE4, or any other shell. Since it will be fully open, anyone will be welcome to make their own install CDs with the favorite shell bundled.

Just my 5 cents.
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

KDE? that will make ROS feel unoriginal!
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi

anyone know if i can download a copy of kde 4 and if yes where do i get it from