Messenger

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kevintrooper

Messenger

Post by kevintrooper »

because Msn messenger is preinstalled (windows messenger) on xp.

well i thought people mightmiss that and i found this!

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_ ... nger+clone
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Windows Messenger was removed in Vista, and in this case, I think we're following that particular pattern. Messenger really isn't essential for anything and as such falls under stuff users can install themselves.
computerwizard4949

Post by computerwizard4949 »

Z98 wrote:Windows Messenger was removed in Vista, and in this case, I think we're following that particular pattern. Messenger really isn't essential for anything and as such falls under stuff users can install themselves.
Yea I think that would be a cool Idea to put messenger on Reactos
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Then put it after you installl ROS. Not everyone uses Win messenger, why we'd need it bundled in ReactOS?
Angelus

Post by Angelus »

Maybe one day it could be done by someone with a ReactOS distro, or maybe using a software downloader if it's implemented with an "app-get" like application (as it is already done in linux distros). So people could (or should) choose what they want.

I think (IMHO) that the aim of ReactOS main project should be to release a really light-weigh win32 OS.
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

I always disable the messenger after install Windows so i don`t think its necessary for ReactOS to have that kind of application by default.
florian

Post by florian »

I don`t need a messenger within ReactOS instead I would prefer to download my favourite messenger application.
sling-shot

Post by sling-shot »

One of the reasons Windows is disliked is due to the lot it ships along with the OS. Definitely ReactOS would do better not to include everything and its cousin along.

Further keeping ReactOS as lite as possible during its developmental state makes me more willing to download a smaller file and test it rather than downloading a full distribution of 100+ MBs (I am on dial-up)

Better give the choice than to shov-it-down-the-throat ala MS.
-SS.
I am a nobody. Nobody is perfect. So I am perfect.
FSX

Post by FSX »

There seem to be a lot of topics like these popping up. ROS should include, pretty much, everything Windows ships with, maybe minus the middle-of-the-road text editor.
sling-shot

Post by sling-shot »

;-) On second thought, my post above is contradicting itself ;-) sorry for the lack of clarity of thought.
I guess I should have said
During the early developmental stage represented by the alpha builds, please keep the size to the minimum by carrying the least no. of non-essential components.
Once we reach the beta state, start including those programs shipped with Windows and are useful but none of the trial/commercial software. (What may be it?! Whatever :-) )
Never ship any crap - Hmm.... that will never be done by ReactOS anyway.
I am waiting for the day ReactOS will run on real hardware - AMD X2 series in particular which I am on.
-SS.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

When I install Windows, I break out my copy of WinRegEditGet.bat and WinGetCrapOff.bat . I built both to sweep out the junk, and, low and behold, no one I have given a copy to has even wanted to take Messenger off the delete list.
More ReactOS, please!
walter

Post by walter »

i think we don't need to insert messenger (miranda and pidgin - formerly gaim - are open source and easy to install)
sling-shot

Post by sling-shot »

[Reacter]
May I have those .bats of yours please?
-SS.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

I'll dig up my old box of CD's for you.
More ReactOS, please!
ironek69

Post by ironek69 »

maybe it is a good idea to release two versions of ReactOS, one clear and the other one with all of soft that comes with windows, but with ability to remove any of it after install?