A New Hope - KDE 4 multiplatform

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

meg112

A New Hope - KDE 4 multiplatform

Post by meg112 »

KDE 4 will be released in october. it's new because runs on windows and OSX (multiplatform).
may be a good idea using it on ReactOS, because KDE is free.
It could be helpful for developers. they can concentrate their efforts in frameworks, because the windows manager already exists.
it is no use developing 20 times the same things! :wink:

what do you think about?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

ReactOS will use its Explorer which is compatible to Windows and thats the goal of ROS. Aaaand it eats too much RAM. If you want to use it, download and install it. (Or wait until it is added to ROS Packet Downloader) KDE for Windows.... useless or not.... how about a vote?
kevintrooper

Re: A New Hope - KDE 4 multiplatform

Post by kevintrooper »

WOW it works on Windows? I'm surprised!
meg112

Post by meg112 »

EmuandCo wrote:... Aaaand it eats too much RAM...
KDE or react explorer?
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

Nope thanks I prefer to use KDE only with Linux :wink: Its kinda unnatural to see KDE in Windows or ReactOS.
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

I'm sure there at some point will be a ROS distro with KDE...
meg112

Post by meg112 »

react developers are working with linux developers! (APIs are taken from Wine)

For a first period this could be a solution....
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

So what? Those are subsystems for Win32...
rrae

Post by rrae »

i do also like the idea, to make it avaible through the "Downloader!" app. but I think it would need some integration, so it really replaces the native shell (deleting the old). other window managers from linux/X11 where ported to windows already, like blackbox (BB4Win) and AfterStep (LiteStep).

maybe those shell replacements could make for a hole category. the benefit? well i wouldn't use those alternative wm's either, but this way ReactOS could loose a bit of its image as just-a-clone and thus would get out of the patent grabber's firing line.
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

rrae wrote:just-a-clone and thus would get out of the patent grabber's firing line.
Nice! I AGREE!

not so much with KDE. I wanna see some screenshots right before the release! :lol:
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

kevintrooper wrote:
rrae wrote:just-a-clone and thus would get out of the patent grabber's firing line.
Nice! I AGREE!

not so much with KDE. I wanna see some screenshots right before the release! :lol:
Unlikely. You can claim to be anything you want, but that ultimately makes no difference in court.

As far as KDE4 running fully on Windows, umm, let me just put it this way. We know that KDE4 base and libraries are being ported, mostly. But does that include the likes of Plasma, etc? A lot of hype has been going around about KDE fully being on Windows. Unfortunately, lack of citation is making those claims hard to fully investigate.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Z98 KDE 4 is a huge redesign to be cross platform. Supporting native Mac output without a X11 server is not nice either.

Note plasma is not the news worthy bit to the developers. Its Soild. One interface no matter the platform to detect and use devices. Plasma core dependancy is opengl, kdelibs. So yes it will work. Most kde apps if you get the kdelibs kit working you are home.

So yes complete desktop interface. Only one problem. KDE 4 will not fit into Reactos light memory usage goals. 64 meg for its light weight operations on linux. So its at least 48 meg to itself. Due to different memory usage that could be huge on windows. Note 256 to use KDE 4 under linux with every desktop option on. Testing will tell us if it works well.

Other projects might provide KDE 3 apps at decent speed on windows.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Don't doubt it is. Except KDE's own website makes it hard to dig up info detailing everything. In theory, I shouldn't have to dig through two, three layers to find info on what should be one of the most major things in the upcoming KDE4. Hell, the ROS site is guilty of this at places, which is why we so badly need a reorganization at several points.
Carlo Bramix

Post by Carlo Bramix »

The idea is good (many multiplatform apps available), but if I can choose I prefer to use the applications made with native Win32 API.

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Linux is Linux. MenuetOS is MenuetOS. Windows is Windows. ROS is ROS. ROS shares interface with Windows. Let Unix branches keep their GUI. KDE can be downloaded later.
More ReactOS, please!