why about a scripting language ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vorador

why about a scripting language ?

Post by vorador »

i'm french , please excuse my poor english.

Do you think it is a good think to implement a scripting language in reactos ?
might be better to use a library of macros for C ?
Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz »

I believe Reactos should use the same "script" language as windows, i mean the .bat one. If it needs more power, then we can just add functionality based on the original one.

That aproach makes it more familiar to windows and ex-dos users.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

It's not a script lang for the OS, bit for the package manager,
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
oiaohm

When I am no longer runing in read only mode

Post by oiaohm »

Perl, Python and bash.

Need more power hmm ruby REXX.

Theres are all floating around for windows. Dos is dead except it.
Time to move on.
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/dosbatch.html
All that is really missing from BASH is a goto function and a label tag but bash has functions.

Simple fix just packaged in a morepowerful script lang with a converter and be done with dead batch files. (ie a once run converter) .BAT remains the script in side besomething else. The soon the the better we get rid of the quick and dirty operating system the better.
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

What it with the Windows Scrip languages (batch is ncot really scripting) i mean jscrip and vbscrip (Windows Script Host)
Toxigenicpoem

Post by Toxigenicpoem »

Maybe Rapid Euphoria could be our scripting languge? They release a free intepreter and its about 8x faster then perl, or python, or java. And close to 20 times faster then VB, you can also translate from Euphoria to C. Not sure if anyone thinks highly of this languge, but I'm kind of fond of its 'basic' languge sytax, and the fact that its as powerful as C++.

http://www.rapideuphoria.com
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

I think the package management system should look something like this:

Code: Select all

$NAME="FooBar";
$VERSION="1.3.4";
$LICENSE="GPL";
$DEPENDS="libmono.dll>1.0, qt.dll>=3.3, qt-sharp.dll=1.2";  //This tells the system what this needs before it can be installed
$PROVIDES="foobar.dll, foo2.dll, foobar.exe"; //This tells the system what it provides, so it will be able to know if this is needed to be installed before some program that depends on say 'foobar.dll'
$PROGPATH="$PROGRAMFILES\FooBar";  //Where the program will be installed
$LIBPATH="$PROGPATH\dll"; // "          " the dlls
$EXEPATH="$PROGPATH\";  //  "           " the exes
$DOCPATH="$PROGPATH\docs"; // "         " the documentation
startInstall(); // Installs all the files, and adds this to the db of installed apps so it knows

// Somebody set up us the bomb!!!!!

addToStartMenu("$PROGPATH\foobar.exe", "FooBarIndustries\FooBar.lnk", "$PROGPATH\foobar.exe, 1"); // Adds a shortcut to the start menu, also letting you define the icon used (last parameter)
addToStartMenu("$PROGPATH\docs\help.html", "FooBarIndustries\Help.lnk", "%SYSTEMROOT\DllFileThatHasHtmlIcon.dll, 354"); //Shortcut to the help file
if($allowQuickStaters = true) { // Quickstarts as in programs that preload the program making it start faster, not that little quick start menu on windows (maybe need to change it to $allowPreloaders ?)
       addToStartup("$PROGPATH\foobarQuickStarter.exe");  //Adds a program to the Startup folder (so started on startup)
}
That way you could prevent all the weird problems you can get with windows (everything being dumped in %SYSTEMROOT% and %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 ). It would also be all you really need to install most programs. It wouldn't be that hard to write or expand. Some variables like $PROGRAMFILES could be defined globally (like "C:\Program Files"), and some like $allowQuickStaters could be based on user configuration.

How does that sound? Are there any things that are missing from this?
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

I find the windows sytem with the folders for the StarMenu realy good, and it is recommend for the combitability!

With this backgroun meke your "addToStartMenu" no sense!
booter

Post by booter »

Scripting language.
Personally I think existing languages are enouph. These guys are about making an OS, not building a language. Euphoria will be a great addition, and I intend to try it, as soon as I get this os to boot.

booter

Euphoria is cool!
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

I find the windows sytem with the folders for the StarMenu realy good, and it is recommend for the combitability!

With this backgroun meke your "addToStartMenu" no sense!
"addToStartMenu" would be a function in the scripting language to add a shortcut to the start menu, beside the package manager would have nothing to do with compatibility since Windows doesn't have a package manager.
Scripting language.
Personally I think existing languages are enouph. These guys are about making an OS, not building a language. Euphoria will be a great addition, and I intend to try it, as soon as I get this os to boot.

booter

Euphoria is cool!
Regardless of the language its going to have to be modified to suit ROS, Euphoria appears to be in the public domain so license shouldn't be an issue. It doesn't make much sense to make the package a self contained program though.
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

Since I'm an insomniac and love taking on new projects and not finishing them I've decided to create a sample package and a program that would process it, since I don't really know Windows programming yet its going to use the QT toolkit, tar, gunzip and a few other command line utilities (meaning it will only run under Linux/Unix)

I really should be working on the job I'm trying to get.... :oops:
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

Ok scratch the last part of my last comment (using QT and linux only), since I'm lazy and need to learn C#, and I've decided to do it in that, the format of the package I'm going to use is 7z (7-Zip, its GPL). So far I've made amazing progress since this is the first time I've even touched C#.

REMEMBER: This is ONLY a demo. There isn't going to be a DB it stores the info in, and it won't really install anything (just extract stuff to subdirs of 'C:\ROSEXAMPLE\' ). Right now I'm trying to figure out how to put a new line character into a textbox (I'm using it as something to display the current progress.).

When I get something done I'll upload it along with it's source along with a sample package I'll make (right now I'm just using a random 7zipped file from my desktop haha).

Current Progress: 2/05/05 2:00 AM - I got some of the program done, now I'm going to create an example package with some stuff in it. This is fun! Yay for insomniacs!

Current Progress: 2/05/05 2:14 AM - Sample package done, now trying to figure out how to execute an outside app from C#...

Current Progress: 2/05/05 2:48 AM - Yeah... I'm going to sleep now, I'll try work some more in the morning, if anyone knows how to open an external app w/ some arguments in C# PLEASE POST HERE HOW TO!!!!! Thanks! BTW: Has anyone tested Mono in ROS?
Toxigenicpoem

Post by Toxigenicpoem »

It doesn't make much sense to make the package a self contained program though.
Euphoria dosn't create self contained programs without fusing the script to the interpter. As such, the packager could just launch the script against the interpreter, solving your not wanting a self contained program :wink:
Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

When we want full combitality to Windows we mst integreat cmd, JScript and VBScript!
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

pentiumforever wrote:When we want full combitality to Windows we mst integreat cmd, JScript and VBScript!
You can download win32 script host and install it in Ros.
Screenhots:
http://reactosde.re.funpic.de/mediadeta ... 0s&mdnr=80