[suggestion] Windows Sound Recorder substitute

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

forart

[suggestion] Windows Sound Recorder substitute

Post by forart »

Well, i noticed a very interesting news from the Fridgesoft's news page:
Friday, 01-26-2007

HarddiskOgg is now Open Source! I finally decided to release the source code to the public, as I just do not find enough time for big updates. You can find the source code at SourceForge. If you find the source code useful, or want to contribute, please let me know.
[ external image ]

Official website

I think it could be a good base for the sound recorder substitution !
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

That looks good, though I didn't test it.

Anyways I think, that many of the controls could be hidden by default. Windows' shows only the needed buttons (afaik, I didn't use it for ages), and that's good, I mean, many beginners don't even know what normalization is and won't change those settings, as well as most people don't care about memory statistics.
my blog: phoenix.de.am
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

It may be the greatest soft, but mind that our sound stack is practically nonexistant...
forart

Post by forart »

UPDATE: more findings !!!

recmp3
A Windows application which records audio from an external input (i.e. radio, tape deck, sound system, etc.) and writes it directly to an mp3 file using the LAME mp3 encoder.
[ external image ]

Mini Recorder
Tiny audio recording utility. May be used for speech recording or phone calls (requires external software). *) source switching through mixer. *) limit by time or size *) continuous recording *) event logging *) spy mode Has multilingual interface.
[ external image ]

MPEG Recorder
A real-time recorder and compressor of audio and video input for the Windows platforms, using MFC, DirectX, FFMPEG and MPEG4IP. The program is capable of generating avi and mp4 files and streaming MPEG-4 audio and video via Apple Darwin Streaming Server.
[ external image ]
»Forward Agency NPO
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

An, uhhhh, your telling us that you have ALSO setup the kernel so we have sound? If not, you might want to put that on a post it note before you post anything sound-related yet. No offense ment.
More ReactOS, please!
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I'm telling you that ROS sound support isn`t there yet, and wont be ready anytime soon. We are missing important kernel-side code. For more info visit irc channel and ask Silverblade. Anyway, it is a good initiative, as we wouldn`t like to clone windows app if there is an opensource, 3rd party replacement would be available.

EDIT: Btw, it would be great if you`d use the diagram made for ROS 3rd party software selection.This diagram, made by mf is in sticked thread inside General Discussion.
forart

Post by forart »

Haos wrote:I'm telling you that ROS sound support isn`t there yet, and wont be ready anytime soon.
If ROS will be 100% Windows compatible, then this is not so mutch important. Remember that there are other projects and sw distros (such as WinLibre) that can benefit from it, and -anyway- it could be multiplatform...
Haos wrote:EDIT: Btw, it would be great if you`d use the diagram made for ROS 3rd party software selection.This diagram, made by mf is in sticked thread inside General Discussion.
I already asked frik to integrate the license compatibility feature in the compatibility database (check out my page on the wiki to undestand my visual license compatibility-coloring idea) to sensibilize users to legal-use (remember that piracy is wide spread between windows users) that should favourite the switch to open source.
»Forward Agency NPO