What can I do to help.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jay_Walker

What can I do to help.

Post by Jay_Walker »

A while back I asked if i would be able to help by writing apps in vb6. I was told no because it would be heck to try to compile it with the rest of the stuff since its all written in C. Anyway, will there be a point where programs written in other languages eg. vb6 could be packaged with reactos?

Another thing if (ever) there will be a time when i can help by making apps, if its not soon, what could I do to help in the meantime? I have some ability to make graphics, ie. icons and such, maybe some documentation, etc.

So, because I dont work well without instruction, could someone tell me what i can do to help out with the production of reactos? I would really like to see it finished sooner than later, and im willing to help if i can.
vins

Post by vins »

I once asked if I could help by writting programs in Delphi.
But they don't accept code other that C/C++ and I do agree with them.

So if you want to help you have to learn C/C++.
I didn't knew C well so I decided to so some translation.

Now I know C/C++ much better. I also learned ASM and I read some very old books about PCs. And it is very educational to examine the source of ReactOS. As soon as I find some free time I'll do my best to help. Atleast with trasnlations.
PeterK

Re: What can I do to help.

Post by PeterK »

Jay_Walker wrote:.. what i can do to help out with the production of reactos? I would really like to see it finished sooner than later, and im willing to help if i can.
Coding applications in ANY language, even in C, doesn't help because lateron ANY Windows software _should_ run on both Windows AND ReactOS.

The only way to help ReactOS for people with a "foreign language" is to help debugging (in addition to "translate", .. etc). My "native language" is Pascal (Delphi) so I also cannot write c code.

What we can do (on real hardware) is:
- set up a second PC with terminal program and serial debug cable
- install ReactOS from unmodified ISO (BootCD) on Your PC
- write the debug output to file

If ReactOS does not properly install or any hardware of Your PC doesn't work well: You can - probably with help from developers - try to isolate these bugs:

- install a subversion client
- download the trunk sources with the same release number
- install ReactBE
- compile the downloaded sources with ReactBE
- install something like WinISO to replace selfcompiled files in the ISO -> for debugging

- insert breakpoints or debug messages in the sources (so You need to learn C (more than) a little bit ..)
- and isolate the bug
- burn the ISO with Your modified files and debug log what happens ..
- report the bug in bugzilla and/or find a dev who is willing and able to solve the error together with You

"That's it" ... ;-)
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

WinISO are not need reactos come with own tools
to make iso.

U can do anything u like modify register, adding files, config up own livecd with prepare software and allot more.

change freeldr.ini direcly.
Ged
Developer

Re: What can I do to help.

Post by Ged »

PeterK wrote: My "native language" is Pascal (Delphi) so I also cannot write c code.
Proficcient programmers can pick up new languages with little effort.

What I mean by this is that if anyone has a great enough interest and has good programming skills, it doesn't take long to switch languages.
Esspecially C which should take a few weeks at the most to learn.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

I agree with Ged, C is not a hard language to learn. If you learn C++, you could help rebuild the explorer, but, well, just if...
More ReactOS, please!
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

Well I find C very hard to learn, maybe I just cave trouble coming to terms withe the inefficiency of the language (Delphi takes 1 line C takes 1 page) but the real purpose of this post was that I were going to suggest making some help files, as far I know there are none made but a lot will be needed sooner or later, just make sure you don't plagiarise the windows ones :)
vins

Post by vins »

Mrkaras wrote:(Delphi takes 1 line C takes 1 page)
Try writting Windows application in Delphi using only WinAPI calls and then compare to C. Or you can try Borland C++ Builder witch also has VCL, RTL etc and it won't take you more lines than Delphi.

The only think I don't like in C/C++ is compile time compared to Delphi.
But Delphi(pascal) compiles faster, compared to c++, because you have to predefine variables.
With new fast PC's who cares about compile speed.
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

vins wrote:
Mrkaras wrote:(Delphi takes 1 line C takes 1 page)
Try writting Windows application in Delphi using only WinAPI calls and then compare to C. Or you can try Borland C++ Builder witch also has VCL, RTL etc and it won't take you more lines than Delphi.
It doesn't make sense to (again) open the LANGUAGE discussion. My example of DELPHI shows: Borland C++ and DELPHI use the same compiler (as far as know) so why worry about compiler speed ?

It is much more difficult (and mostly independent from the language) to write eficcient code - which afterwords can be understood by foreigners.

It would be better to think about how users and even the skilled ones can report qualified bug reports - they all just want to help ...

Best regards,
Peter.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

This Line is dead.

C, C++ and Asm are chosen as Reactos development langs.

Pascel is outside the targeted compliers for Reactos. Reactos is currently built on Linux Freebsd and Windows by different parties. So compliers for the lang has to be cross platform.

Something Reactos does not have. Is something like MFC and Visual GUI development tools. This could reduce the lines of code down a lot.

Document creators are needed even to right introduction documentation.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

There are enough bug reports :) but lack of manpower to take care of them.
radu.bulboaca

Post by radu.bulboaca »

Can you suggest some bugs that I can start on?
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Can you suggest some bugs that I can start on?
It is better to ask developers on IRC.
Colin Finck
Developer

Post by Colin Finck »

oiaohm wrote:Something Reactos does not have. Is something like MFC and Visual GUI development tools.
As far as I know, we also don't want any additional GUI libraries, since they can never have all the functions of the native Win32 GUI libraries.

As hto already said, for newbies it is currently the best to ask developers at the #reactos IRC channel.

We know about these documentation and newbie help problems, but currently it is hard to create a workflow, which helps both newbies and developers.
Also many developers more like to write code than documentation. :D

Regards,

Colin