do you compile ReactOS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

How often do you compile ReactOS?

Every day!! I'm thinking of getting an automatic build server...
15%
A few times every week
31%
Every month, I just casually watch development...
23%
Maybe once a year... I can't even remember the last time
15%
Never. wait... whats a 'compiler'?
17%

Total votes: 48

samwise52

do you compile ReactOS?

Post by samwise52 »

Everyone has been fighting over silly topics like "let's include an IDE with ReactOS", build enviroment fights, compiler fights and what not...

So let's run a little poll... to see what the common ppl think.
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

I compile ReactOS currently just because it's the only way to get my implementation of "tree" to work.
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

Where's the "Never, but I'm perfectly aware of what a compiler is" option?

Also, I don't think that whether or not people build ReactOS themselves is necessarily relevant to whether or not they want a programming environment bundled with it.
samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

Also, I don't think that whether or not people build ReactOS themselves is necessarily relevant to whether or not they want a programming environment bundled with it.
not a terrible lot... just for fun ;)
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

I already have a batch in mind that can automatically compile a new release.... I am building it about now. I just can't remember how to get a new release instead of an old one.
More ReactOS, please!
steveh

Compile on linux RosBE (linux BE outdated gcc versions?)

Post by steveh »

... the prepared ISO images from svn.reactos.org, as well as the release iso's, most often do not include the "rosapps".

I suggest that it would be great help for those people who do not compile reactos themselves, if the iso's had "rosapps" included.

Currently i compile on windows with the most recent RosBE3.6. Because since about end of 2006, my linux build environment has produced unfunctional compilations, means iso's which hang on install. But i do not blame reactos for now, the issue may be due to the fact that my linux since 2006 is a Suse 10.2 x64 version?
Having other problems (video plugins / win32api in firefox do not work! All videos are monochrome green...) with the x64 linux, i will anyway install an x86 32-bit version again.

By the way what linux BE package versions gcc, w32api, ... are recommended for trunk and for next branch 0.3.2 ? I read here in the forum that the wiki for linux BE were slightly outdated?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

ad.1 What exactly do you think they would need from RosApps? Adding all of them would seriously increase the building time and iso size.

ad.2 The Linux BE is now being updated, soon there will be a new version. You should join #reactos channel on irc and ask for details.
Carlo Bramix

Post by Carlo Bramix »

Never, because my PC isn't powerful enough for compiling it (perhaps I could compile the entire ReactOS's sources in a week!).
I can only compile and debug applications separately and then I can test them into a precompiled ROS image.

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

What cpu do you have Carlo?
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

I compiled it a few times, but most of the time I use precompiled isos.
Carlo Bramix

Post by Carlo Bramix »

Haos wrote:What cpu do you have Carlo?
Pentium MMX 200MHz
64 MBytes RAM
HardDisk 6.4 GB (only 200 MB are free).
S3 Virge DX with 4 MBytes VRAM
A CRT monitor, a mouse and a keyboard.

I just use it for typing source code and I must say that it does its job.

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini.
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

That is a bit slow, but it should be able to do it in a day or two, and after that you can use ccache (can you use that on windows?) and it should compile relatively fast
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Not the CPU speed i`d be afraid, but the disk space. Compiled source takes up around 2.4 gb... But it`d take up to 50-60h.