compiling whit delphi on reactOS

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

forum1

compiling whit delphi on reactOS

Post by forum1 »

I am very new for this project. Sorry...

May i use Delphi 7 to compiling my project under this OS.
What about suport BDE engine, ADO, MSSQL 2005 server.
Do yuo have any bady whit expiriency. Test it. Is thera are problem.

When compiling on this os, is have a problem to start to standart windows XP. And both os - XP, ReactOS.

I want to know about licenz. I do not make free source software. Only comercial produkts , sory.
forum1

Post by forum1 »

"Delphi 7 installation stops here..."

That meain delphy 7 do not support in this OS. I check in compatable data base, but thay told me that instalation stop in to the begining.

I thing that place first all files from mine windows XP to React os. Make registry, and to tray :)
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Ros says it windows 2000.

Try freepascal or get reactos to lie. I cannot remember how.
forum1

Post by forum1 »

but free pascal not have vcl calss.
If we made to run Delphi 7 on this operation system, many software will build on ReactOS
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

ReactOS can build many software already asm, C, C++ with gcc
in the os itself. At moment we are more focuse getting a stable kernel
and better compatible. We can not do much more until that is solv and fixing. Alex is working very hard getting a better kernel
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Laza ... lphi_Users

I did not say it for a joke. Most VCL stuff converts to LCL code.

And if that is not good enough CLX from Delphi can be part build with freepascal providing the vcl classes without the limitations.

With work Delphi 7 will not be required at all.

Freepascal VCL is split in two parts. LCL and FCL. One is graphics one is low level. There are ways around problem.
Ndi

Post by Ndi »

Hi.

I'm a bit disoriented here (new). I understand D7 doesn't work with ROS, did anyone try D5? It's less demanding and frankly who needs native database support, there are open source engines/helpers out there. It's just that having the IDE in the OS really helps development, more so that compiling and copying.

So I'm asking, basically, does D7 fail with ROS because of the installation? Or the components? The VCL? The Personal (or was it Enterprise) editions come with most of the sources so I guess they can be slightly altered to fit the OS while still in development. And Setup isn't really the problem, anyone can ... help the IDE in with no setup. Components can be recompiled. Does anyone know where the problem is?

I did check out Lazarus but it seems like swapping open source for ... open source - it's odd. True, D5E is not open source, it just has most of the sources with it.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

ROS doesn't support it because we're missing god knows how many implementations. None of the developers even runs ROS as a production system. File downloading from Firefox doesn't work, ibrowser has issues, etc. It's basically just because ROS isn't complete enough to run certain apps. All development is done on other systems, simply because ROS isn't stable enough to do a lot of things in it for very long.
Ndi

Post by Ndi »

I see, thanks for the reply.

Well then, I guess I'm stuck to Windows compiling. Sorry I can't help with actual OS development but I'll have a whack at application porting.
duzenko

Post by duzenko »

Hi everyone

I'm a Delphi coder, and is interested in ROS as well

I understand that installing delphi and working in IDE can be only dreamed so far. But I can develop applications in Windows and then test it on ROS

Any ideas about it?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

It depends on what would those apps need in terms of windows api/hardware.
Ndi

Post by Ndi »

I didn't find the time to actually insert a running VM in my schedule (already quadruple-booting), but I'd go like this:

Build an empty, button application with a ShowMessage. Run that over ROS, my bet is it works just fine. Then start developing, eyes on MSDN PSDK (Platform Software Development Kit). Mind requirements and only use well-established APIs, test on Win32 first then port. If it breaks in transit, try a workaround. Most things can be done in code, circumventing the APIs, not that it's a good idea but at this stage I feel it's a better move to write code out and contribute to application base rather then wait all features out.

It's possible, too, that base applications bork when ported, in which care *some* support might be required.
duzenko

Post by duzenko »

How I can run my exe under ROS, if I use ROS via QEMU?
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

You can use -hdb fat:directory QEMU option.
duzenko

Post by duzenko »

i use this
qemu -L . -m 128 -hda ReactOS.hd -hdc fat:vdisk
(if i specify -hdb ROS hangs)
i see drive d: in explorer but when i try to open it ROS hangs too