When your machine won't run MS what then?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

MtnTopRebel

When your machine won't run MS what then?

Post by MtnTopRebel »

:D It dawned on me the other day after reading that MS will no longer provide XP after the first of the year forcing everyone to go Vista, and that according to a reviews I read nearly half the worlds computers couldn't run entry level Vista without upgrading, and some 95% couldn't run Vista Pro then, there are going to be a lot of computers needing a reasonable OS that will run their machines. Looks like a golden opportunity! :lol:
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

that has been stated in many articles everywere :P

and it is, as people start searching for alternatives, it's the time for opensource... Ubuntu, OpenSolaris and the likes are among the tops tier..

the bad news is that ROS is still at alpha level and thus it doesn't qualify as an option yet (as is the case with Haiku)
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

MtnTopRebel: I think you misunderstand microsoft's support plans. Normally home versions of windows have a 5 year support cycle, and pro versions have a 10 year support cycle.
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/

However, they extended the windows xp home support to november 2008, and pro support is still set until november 2011 I believe. Thus in november 2008, home users will have to upgrade to xp professional if they cannot upgrade to vista. That will be our opportunity, and hopefully we will have a good beta quality OS then.

We're always looking for people to do anything from helping code, to translating, to simply spreading awareness. Welcome to the ReactOS community.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Yes, but WinXP will no longer be activated by MS soon!!!! If ReactOS can gain beta stage by then, we can shoot through the hole left by MS and corkscrew right into the mainstream OS market.
More ReactOS, please!
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Reacter wrote:Yes, but WinXP will no longer be activated by MS soon!!!!
Could you link me to an article on this?

I'm sure they will only stop activating new copies or something like that.
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

Phobos wrote:that has been stated in many articles everywere :P

and it is, as people start searching for alternatives, it's the time for opensource... Ubuntu, OpenSolaris and the likes are among the tops tier..

the bad news is that ROS is still at alpha level and thus it doesn't qualify as an option yet (as is the case with Haiku)
First of all , some of you are rather sadly mistaken..

I'm curious , why did you mention Ubuntu..?? Ubuntu sucks...!

And opensolaris..? , it's way too hard to get one's head around , not very user friendly...!
However, they extended the windows xp home support to november 2008, and pro support is still set until november 2011 I believe.
Well , you're half right , Win XP Pro will still be supported until the year 2014..., as well as XP home , they are only going to stop offering it new as of 2008...
Last edited by jason.b.c on Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Same kind of stuff was said before Windows 98 was extended by 3 years.

These threats are powering winehq, Reactos and linux. So why be worried about it is good for everyone.
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

jason.b.c wrote:
Phobos wrote:that has been stated in many articles everywere :P

First of all , some of you are rather sadly mistaken..

I'm curious , why did you mention Ubuntu..?? Ubuntu sucks...!

And opensolaris..? , it's way too hard to get one's head around , not very user friendly...!

Sadly mistaken.. exactly where?

your opinion is that Ubuntu sucks, but is not the popular opinion... Ubuntu is the most popular distro in case you didn't know... and it's pretty well done, excellent for new users

once again, one thing is that for you opensolaris is "too hard to get one's head around" but is not what everyone believes.. many servers use solaris 10 as os, and each day is coming closer to home users.. and for user friendliness, maybe you should specify at what level you're talking.. as for the GUI, it can use the same windows managers as linux does (gnome, kde..).. and runs ports of the same programs (OpenOffice, firefox...).. please, make it clear

And with the new Zones, eventually you can run any linux binary without having to port it.. one big advantage over other OS

now I'm curious as well... what OS doesn't suck for you?

Oh, and mikedep... I believe you were the one who misunderstood the first post... he was talking about MS not selling XP anymore, as retail or as OEM, thus making any new buyer go for vista.... nothing about the support cycles
Last edited by Phobos on Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MtnTopRebel

MS Greed will be the downfall.

Post by MtnTopRebel »

I have worked on computers for over 20 years regretfully I went after hardware instead of networking and programming. so am not much help in that area. I do however take my whacks at MS when ever I see the opportunity. Did with a client today as I took her through her bloated "Registery" looking for her lost Product Key for Word... when I was finished she had a good Idea where her resources went. And left her with several Open Source products. I have done this for years, but not until recently have I been excited about the potential for something better than MS. I anxiously await ROS to reach 1x and above. Rest assured I will do my part to make it the desktop OS of every client I can fit it to. Presently I am making linux converts, for the brave and those totally P()&( off with MS. I liked SuSE till they betrayed the faith, and presently am using and learning to use Ubuntu. I do know though that few want to leave a basic system they understand. and so ROS will be the salvation of the day. MS greed will be their downfall, and I believe /ROS will be the death nail for them. Keep up the good work, and don't look back... We're waiting to do our part when you can pass the task on. :D MtnTopRebel
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

Phobos wrote: your opinion is that Ubuntu sucks, but is not the popular opinion... Ubuntu is the most popular distro in case you didn't know... and it's pretty well done, excellent for new users

If you think so...!

For what reason do you think ubuntu is so great..? Or the most popular system to-date..? Because they have a huge forums full of so-called experts.? , or the fact that the forum has alot of members ( most of wich just trolling around starting useless threads ) , or the fact that Mark Shuttleworth ( A-Hole ) is such a great guy., ready and willing to "As of Now" to stick his nose into other systems and ruin things for the user's of those systems..

And while on the subject of their forums , The ubuntu forums administration is "terrible" at best , Certanly not the best thing for new user's to have to deal with , Besides that - I take it that YOU were not around then for all the "changing of the guard stuff" ( so to speak ) the "exchanging of arms" that happened a while back that caused so much trouble for user's that wanted nothing to do with it...

Or the big core update that crashed so many user's systems..?

Or all the other useless bullsh*t that goes on there...

Or the fact that everytime it was decided that ubuntu was to be upgraded to the next version , you had to either perform the upgrade and take the chance of breaking your system or get left behind , on that note - the upgrades are so damn big that dialup users have no chance of completing the upgrade , what about them..?

I got stuck using Breezy Badger because Dapper Drake refused to operate correctly and no-one in the forums could give me a straight answer , the only thing people would ask me ( tell me ) is to dist upgrade wich i couldn't do , or ask me why i was still using breezy...
once again, one thing is that for you opensolaris is "too hard to get one's head around" but is not what everyone believes.. many servers use solaris 10 as os, and each day is coming closer to home users.. and for user friendliness
Well that is fine , But just remember that - that you said "each day coming closer" , because it ain't there yet , there are pleanty of other linux systems out there far easier to use than solaris...

now I'm curious as well... what OS doesn't suck for you?
Well as of right now , i am running Freespire - wich the easiest and most stable linux system i have found yet..., But with all this Ubuntu / Linspire / Freespire / Mark Shuttleworth ( A-Hole ) stuff going and the coming changes to be made i am thinking of switching to just pure Debian and sticking with it , Because at least Debian dosen't have to change "it's mind" all the time uselessly...

:lol: :evil:
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

first off, is easy to see you have a personal crusade against ubuntu.. problems you had that not everybody had...
For what reason do you think ubuntu is so great..? Or the most popular system to-date..? Because they have a huge forums full of so-called experts.? , or the fact that the forum has alot of members ( most of wich just trolling around starting useless threads ) , or the fact that Mark Shuttleworth ( A-Hole ) is such a great guy., ready and willing to "As of Now" to stick his nose into other systems and ruin things for the user's of those systems..
what, you are asking me?... If it is because you don't take my word, search for it

forums have nothing to do with the OS, and in either case, if it does for you, each component of the OS has its own forum or mailing list to ask questions, if you don't like ubuntu's....

you never are "left" behind or HAVE to perform the upgrade... that's one good thing about linux, you customize and use it the way you like...
as in windows and any other piece of software, support is given to the latest version and others are deprecated and is why it's recommended to upgrade

what about dialup??... you can ask for a FREE CD from ubuntu's page with the newest OS and perform the upgrade from there

Well that is fine , But just remember that - that you said "each day coming closer" , because it ain't there yet , there are pleanty of other linux systems out there far easier to use than solaris...
you should try belenix http://www.genunix.org/distributions/belenix_site/ or nexenta http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki before saying something like that... I said that it is each day coming closer to home users... and so is linux, in case it isn't clear... as some say, they are too "geeky" to be used by "normal" people

as Ubuntu is Debian based, I take that the only thing you don't like are the extras... well, good grief... as it is what many people like (and a good reason why freespire is changing to it)... good luck with your debian
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

ahem

Back on topic here. Also, MtnTopRebel, I would advise you to stop using the dollar sign with MS. Most of the developers view it as a lack of maturity. Might be funny the first time around, but it gets old very fast.
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Phobos wrote: Oh, and mikedep... I believe you were the one who misunderstood the first post... he was talking about MS not selling XP anymore, as retail or as OEM, thus making any new buyer go for vista.... nothing about the support cycles
Yeah, but he said:
MtnTopRebel wrote: I read nearly half the worlds computers couldn't run entry level Vista without upgrading, and some 95% couldn't run Vista Pro then, there are going to be a lot of computers needing a reasonable OS that will run their machines.
He is suggesting that there will be computers out there without a suitable windows operating system. If you have an existing computer, then you will continue to run windows xp/2000; the fact that you will not be able to run vista is irrelevant. If you buy a new computer, it will usually be powerful enough to run vista.
Therefore the vast majority of people will be able to run a windows OS. The only people that will not be able to run a windows OS are people that buy new computers with windows vista on them, but with only 512 megs of ram, making them extremely slow.
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

it doesn't change the fact that he said nothing about support cycles, does it? :P

anyways, those are not the only affected.. suppose you have some spare parts and/or PCs and want a fresh start on it (for any use)... being spare parts, they are not new hardware... maybe good enough to run XP, but not vista... aside from using an illegal copy of XP, what options do you have?
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Phobos wrote:it doesn't change the fact that he said nothing about support cycles, does it? :P

anyways, those are not the only affected.. suppose you have some spare parts and/or PCs and want a fresh start on it (for any use)... being spare parts, they are not new hardware... maybe good enough to run XP, but not vista... aside from using an illegal copy of XP, what options do you have?
I was pointing out the support cycles to demonstrate how people are able to stick with XP/2000.

Anyway, teah, true, I would love to throw reactos on my spare hardware. But keep in mind the average person buys a computer rather than assembling it from spare parts, and thus they have a copy of windows per computer.