Black screen when loading blue.sys in setup(ReactOS 0.31)

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

fm

Black screen when loading blue.sys in setup(ReactOS 0.31)

Post by fm »

Hello

I had installed ReactOS 0.30 on a harddisk using the boot cd . it ran fine.
But with ReactOS 0.31 it's much more difficult. Setup starts, begins to load drivers, but when Blue.sys has just been loaded, I get a black screen. To be sure it was not my CD Burner, or my CDrom drive, I used winimage to extract files and folders from the iso file and copy them on the harddiisk.without burning any cd rom.
Since I have already installed ReactOS, the boot sector calls Freeldr.ini and Freeldr.sys.
I copied Setupldr.sys to the root directory (c:\) and renamed this file Freeldr.sys. So at the reboot, ReactOS setup started from the harddisk, but was stopped immediatly after loading blue.sys. it seemed to be a display problem.
Then I searched other ways to make it work.
Finally, I got a success with the following way.

I copied the folders from live cd to the harddisk
I copied the folders from dbg-kdbg boot cd the harddisk(overwriting live cd files)
I copied Freeldr.sys from the loader folder to the root folder(c:\)
I edited Freeloader.ini(I had kept this file from ReactOS 0.30) , Default : ReactOS_Debug, path : \"drive*\Reactos.

At the reboot setup starts(with Freelodr.sy, instead of Setuplldr.sys), but desn't stop any more when Blue.sys is loaded.(I don't undertand why)
I had to choose a other folder to install ReactOS (Not the folder where I had put installations files)
There was an error : setup couldn't create system hive. So I copied the config folder from the live cd to the folder where I had installed ReactOS.
I edited again Freeldr.ini, Default : ReactOS, path:\drive\directory where ReactOS was installed.

After the reboot, I got ReactOS 0.31
Many program works (cmd, notepad, workpad, control ... for instance), I can change the display, install 7zip, or Mozilla Activex controls, but this installation is not correct . The registry is only a copy of the registry of the live cd . Most drivers are not installed. Network and shutdown don' t work . Every timeI reboot, i have to restore the registry.

Thank you for your help
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

What are your system specs?

I have the same issue, but with the recent trunks, both debug and normal. I checked all the nightly bootcds from 26152 till 26179.

CPU: Amd Barton Mobile 2500+
Mobo: Via Asrock K7VM4
GPU: Ati Radeon 9500 128mb
fm

Post by fm »

hello

I have forgoten to say something : to get it working, profiles folder(from the live CD) must be copied inside the folder where ReactOS is installed(usually ReactOS)

My hardware
motherboard : MSI K8MM-V
cpu: AMD Sempron 2600+
Ram : 768 Mb(704 Mb + 64 Mb shared memorie for the video)

Thanks
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

At least one person was able to install rev26163, using a Dell PIII... so this may be another AMD issue... but more data is required.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

P1, k6-2, i486 = have invaild opcode issue will be fix later

amd xp/mp/64 = have unfish path in trap.s line 1559

cpu should work is p2-p4 without any real problem at moment

if u are ruing in real hw
fm

Post by fm »

hello

Thank you for these explanations.

Is this uncompatibility issue with AMD xp/mp/64 in Setupldr.sys or in Ntoskrnl.exe ?

With my AMD K8 cpu I never completed an installation with Setupldr.sys,( new release provided with ReactOS 0.31), but Ntoskrnl.exe seems to work with this kind of "dirty" installation I've made using Freeldr.sys instead of Setupldr.sys.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

This must be something new. The first AMD bug makes VESA mode freezing at startup screen, in 0.3.1 version. This bug freezes an installation of a trunk. It may be related to AMD, but more data is required.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

So at the reboot, ReactOS setup started from the harddisk, but was stopped immediatly after loading blue.sys. it seemed to be a display problem.
There are actually two problems -- one with wrong boot device name, another with display driver, which cannot show BSOD because of wrong video mode, so the screen remains black.
fm

Post by fm »

Helllo

I can give you more details about what happens.

Setupldr.sys has been designed to load files from the CD ROM, not from the harddisk, it's true.
But when I use Setupldr.sys(Renamed Freeldr.sys) on the harddisk, setup loads the following files : Ntoskrnl.exe, Hall.dll, Kdcom.dll, C_1252.nls, C_437.nls, L_intl.nls, Scsiport.sys, Atapi.sys, Buslogic.sys, Class2.sys, Cdrom.sys, Cdfs.sys, Disk.sys, Floppy.sys, Vfat.sys, I8042prt.sys, Kbdclass.sys and Blue.sys.

I have tested. Every time I remove one of these files , Setup stops and tells it couldn't load the file I have removed , but goes on when this file has been restored.

The display disappears when Blue.sys is loaded, but I can't say Blue.sys is not supported by my system.

When I use Freeldr.sys in debug mode to get the setup, Blue.sys is loaded, but I have no display trouble. I can select the display mode, the keyboard layout, the partition, format or not format, change he name of the ReactOS folder. But in the end I have an error message "Setup failed to create system hive".
But this is not at all a display issue.

I don't understand.

Maybe I have no display problem because Freeldr.sys claims for system hive. I have to copy the config folder from the live cd to the harddisk. Maybe Freeldr.sys looks at the registry to know what display mode must be used . Maybe the diplay mode specified in the registry is supported by my system.

Setupldr.sys desn't look at the registry, because when you use Setupldr.sys, the registry is supposed not to have already been built.. Maybe Setupldr.sys use a default display mode not supported by my system.

And if I use Freeldr.sys instead of the Setupldr.sys, the system hive can't be created maybe because there is already a registry i've copied from the live cd to allow Freeldr.sys to start up.

But I'm not sure at all about what I say.

I hope developers will make a patch to allow users to select display mode used while the setup.
Last edited by fm on Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

The display disappears when Blue.sys is loaded, but I can't say Blue.sys is not supported by my system.
After loading Blue.sys, Setupldr.sys clears the screen and starts Ntoskrnl.exe. Then Ntoskrnl.exe thinks it was loaded from CDROM and tries to access it. If there is no CD in the drive, the kernel tries to show BSOD but can't, because of video mode which Setupldr.sys sets. So the screen remains black.
I hope developers will make a patch to allow users to select display mode used while the setup.
Setup uses standard display mode. There is currently some incompatibility between Setupldr.sys and Bootvid.dll.

Could you please try my Setupldr.sys from http://www.5748.nm.ru/setupldr/ , it sets different video mode. If there is some problem in the kernel, it will show BSOD with error code.
peat

Post by peat »

GreatLord wrote:P1, k6-2, i486 = have invaild opcode issue will be fix later

amd xp/mp/64 = have unfish path in trap.s line 1559

cpu should work is p2-p4 without any real problem at moment

if u are ruing in real hw
When can we expect running ReactOS on real-hw again?
Cause only real-hw is real fun :lol:
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

as we told 0.3.1 was in middle of ntoskrnl rewiting. and the rewting still go on. At moment we are fixing allot of more serius problem. We will deal with thuse regress, when we finish take care of other regress we need deal with now.
fm

Post by fm »

Hello hto

Thank you for your help

I will try your Setupldr.sys on a cdrom.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Sorry to report, but that new setupldr didnt make any difference.

I used UltraIso to replace the older file with the one provided by you.

Still the same problem, screen goes blank after blue.sys, HDD led on constantly.
hto
Developer

Bug

Post by hto »

Still the same problem [...]
It can be that known AMD bug or something else.