Long Term Plans for ReacOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

artamb

Long Term Plans for ReacOS

Post by artamb »

Greetings:

Not to speak out of turn, but has there been any thought about long term plans for REACTOS, I understand it is a volunteer effort. But I think it would be helpful to really know the long term plans. That way backwards planning and the low hanging fruit can be identified and then addressed.

Some long term recommendations:

True MPS/Dual Processing for Intel/AMD
IPv6
RDP
Ehanced Security and configuration control
x64 Bit support
Embedded Appliance (being able to use ReactOS for appliance OS)
Tachikoma_Pilot

Post by Tachikoma_Pilot »

Whats the big deal with IPv6 ?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

http://www.reactos.org/en/about_roadmap.html

Everything you've asked about has been discussed by the devs. RDP support is already been added in. It's not fully working, but it's there. SMP will come when the kernel is more stable and it doesn't have a chance of breaking every other commit. x64 will literally be a port, which again needs a stable system in order to port. The ROS dev won't make any changes in terms of security or configuration if it breaks apps, so long as the apps themselves are using properly documented methods and etc. However, they probably do have a few tweaks to make ROS more secure. There is also talk about a possible ROS CE or something, but again, that's a port that needs to wait until at least 0.5.0.

IPv6 is important insomuch as it is the next generation of addressing for the internet. When it'll actually pick up enough momentum to be all over the place is anyone's guess.
artamb

Post by artamb »

Tachikoma_Pilot wrote:Whats the big deal with IPv6 ?
Obiviously you are not following the changes in the market, to give you a few very public areas where IPv6 IS A VERY BIG DEAL.

China is the converting it's entire networks to IPv6 to include their celluar infrastructure.

Japan just let 6.5 Billion contract to Juniper Networks to convert Japan to IPv6.

Germany let 6.25 Billion contract to Juniper Networks for the same purpose.

South Korea is using IPv6 now and moving to 100% implementation.

IPv6 is coming, and I also note that it is important enough that even Microsoft was forced to include IPv6 support in Longhorn Server and Vista.

The fact that so many economies are moving to IPv6 that in order to survive as a viable desktop solution and to be able to communicate on the newer networks some form of IPv6 support will be needed.

I know this is just the PR explanation, but frankily I could type 8 volumes of information why IPv6 is important from a technical area. But there are many resources on the net that will give the same anwers I would give you.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

ipv6 is backword compatible it works like this
frist four byte is the ipv4 then follow a small mark it is ipv6 number
now 4 more bytes will follow it is rest of ipv6

when we reacih year 2020 we need rewrite most of the tcp/ip then
it was some magic year that the protocoll can not handling, if I rember right year. it was over 10year ago I read how tcp/ip works and what diffent it is betwin them.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

IP4 is good enough for a start in most cases. Linux router will let clients running IP4 hide as one IP6 address.

IP6 support was a addon to XP. So it is not exactly new. Longhorn Server needs IP6 to be in the same level as Linux Servers.
Tachikoma_Pilot

Post by Tachikoma_Pilot »

Been running vista for a while, usually untick ipv6 as i dont really want this protocol to run as of yet i just dont see it being a big thing for a number of years still.