Questions and Hopes XD

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tatzi

Questions and Hopes XD

Post by Tatzi »

Hello I'm Tatzi ,

the developer of MeoW Linux , a live distro ( arch linux ). I woul'd only say that I love this project. I hope you can succes the beta 0.5 soon.
My dream is to make a react os live distro with linux live scripts :o

My question :

* Is possible to use linux progs in react os , or woul'd be only windows executables possible ?

---> I hope it woul'd be successfull , because that woul'd be great , a live distro with windows progs. as working center or multimedia center , or not ?

what do you think ?
:wink:
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

Well, at the moment linux programs are not yet supported by Reactos, however, there has been talks around a POSIX subsystem, though that was never finished and never was ment to be more than a test...
And indeed, it would be great to create a live version of ROS with some nice programs to run as working/media center... And if ROS stays small, it will be quite possible if you have a normal amount of ram (128/256mb+), because ROS would easily fit in RAM memory then...

EDIT:
What I think I forgot to mention, is that it is not a primary goal for ROS to support Llinux/POSIX apps. However, support for multiple subsystems (like in WinNT) is already there and/or will be developed to work just as in windows, so a 3rd party can come up with a subsystem to run Linux apps...
It's not the goal for ROS itself though, the goal of ROS is (obviously) to be both source and binary compatible with Windows for 100%...
-graey-
Tatzi

Post by Tatzi »

With linux progs is not a big problem , the most open source ( the good ones ) progs for linux , are avaible for windows too. The cool thing of ROS is the possibility of Live CD mode. I hope it can be finish the 0.5 beta , I think 70% compatible apps woul´d be very great.

MeoW is currently Arch based , but itself is a multimedia / work live center ( one edition for media , and the other for graphic design and music making ). If ROS 0.5 will be good enough for a beta ( see roadmap ) MeoW will a get a fork MeOW ROS :P and then 0.6 mainly with ROS as base , but it´s the future.
:wink:

PS : I dream of a work system on cd xD . I put it into dvd drive and start it and all progs are available. The problem in windows is that it is very slow after installation of 30 or more programms and then some important progs like photoshop and manga studio ex runs not perfectly. A live cd runs ever time perfect , and on many different computers :o
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Ok I will be truefull I was partly responsible for the posix subsystem disappearing from the ros tree. I pointed the developer of the posix layer in ros to http://sourceforge.net/projects/winntposix/. That turned out to be more functional and stable than what was in ros tree. So ros posix got killed. So it is not like Ros does not want a posix layer.

Yes in time a Linux interface layer could be build. But first worry about having a running OS.
Jaix
Moderator Team

CoLinux

Post by Jaix »

There is also a Linux distribution that actually ronns under Windows (CoLinux) it will also run under ReactOS. http://www.colinux.org/
Carlo Bramix

Re: CoLinux

Post by Carlo Bramix »

Jaix wrote:There is also a Linux distribution that actually ronns under Windows (CoLinux) it will also run under ReactOS. http://www.colinux.org/
I totally agree.
In my opinion too, Colinux is the best way for running linux applications.
And probably, it will be like that for long time.
You can run X applications with Xming.
You can also see the entire linux disk image with some methods: my favorite one is the mapping as a network drive with samba.

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini