We really need a Bounty-based development model

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MarOrt

Post by MarOrt »

GreatLord wrote:A bonty hunter system is bad dections, I will not support it for allot reason. it will make at end all devloper will only work for money and do not care about other thing.
Out of an idealistic point of view, I would agree with you, but in real life people do work for money, however looking at my own work, it's not the only motivation for me...

And having a developer receive e.g. $400 for work he's doing anyway would give him/her the opportunity to do something special for the kids/mrs... (I work with computers and believe me that sometimes people can get real @#$*** when I show up late for dinner etc. etc.)

BTW if the developer doesn't need the money he might donate it to the foundation or other charities.
Last edited by MarOrt on Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

GreatLord wrote:A bonty hunter system is bad dections, I will not support it for allot reason. it will make at end all devloper will only work for money and do not care about other thing.
I tend to agree, it is a volinteer project, people should be doing it because thay want to, not because they want the money. Still, I can see that it might be good in some ways.

MarOrt

Post by MarOrt »

Sirmatto wrote:Instead of a bounty system for developers, how about a pledge system for the ReactOS Foundation? Example: Somebody might say, I will donate $X to ReactOS for a fully functional USB stack. Other people might chip in, some developer steps in, does it, and although they don't get any money, ReactOS as a whole does. It's not so much an incentive for developers to develop as it is for people to donate. Not the greatest idea, but a thought.
My problem with a pledge system would be, that people could deceide not to pay up at the end...
For myself, at the moment I do have some savings, but having to make some private and/or busines decisions in the future might al change that. So I would rather have a system where I could transfer the money right now instead of later... if I can't trust the ReactOS Foundation, who can I trust ;-)

About the bounty going to the a general ReactOS fund, I completely disagree. The bountysystem could boost development if some people decide to work fulltime or part-time for ReactOs...
Again if a dev doesn't want the money he could donate it to the ReactOS Foundation or another charity...

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Or it could split the developers like it's doing with Debian. If you're going for the employed to work on ReactOS full time, it's generally not a good idea to have the Foundation be the one paying it, since the Foundation has no guaranteed source of income. The best way is for something like what major developers for Linux, Samba, etc do. They get employed by an actual company such as IBM, Google, Novell, etc, to work on their open source projects full time. The obvious problem is that ROS is nowhere big enough to get such corporate sponsorship. However, it's one of the more accepted methods for providing developers with money for their works.