ReactOS Promote plan...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

FORCE

ReactOS Promote plan...

Post by FORCE »

We can promote ReactOS different ways: reactos.org signature in forums, mail client signatures, p2p software user names (Emule, Ares, etc..), using reactos.org name in multiplayer games, use reactos.org nick name in irc chat, etc... use your imagination where you can promote.

12.2009 UPDATE: posting photos with reactos.org watermark on websites like flickr, photobucket etc... Use photos whatever you want like for example Ballmer funny pic, drunk programmer, server burning or whatever you want.
2-nd: post comments on news sites about ReactOS.

More you promote then more possibility that new developers and supporters arrive.
Last edited by FORCE on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 17 times in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Nice Idea, I did the same with SeaMonkey and PrefBar Extension installed.
Thcrw8383

Post by Thcrw8383 »

This is a good idea,this could lure more developers to ReactOS causing development to rise,making 1.0.0 become a reality much sooner

But isn this what Mozilla did with Firefox?
walter

Post by walter »

EmuandCo wrote:Nice Idea, I did the same with SeaMonkey and PrefBar Extension installed.
how can i do that?
DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

what about a spread reactos campaign like the firefox one
nos

Post by nos »

What about creating a Pad file and submitting it to freeware sites.

What is a pad file? It a xml file that has a description of your program and features that sits on your web site. When you submit a program to a freeware site you can just point a URL reference to it and your done. Saves you manually typing everything on each site. I know it's not a program, It is a OS but you could just put it under a category that is the closest.

Personally I don't think it matters ReactOS is Alpha state you just mention it in the Pad file but you might like to wait a bit.

More info on Pad files
http://www.bpssoft.com/padfiles.htm

eg You can submit by Pad or type the form in manually at this site.
http://www.brothersoft.com/submit.asp

Google search showing that you could submit it to a lot of sites
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&c ... arch&meta=

What does the dev team think. I could make a Pad file for you if you like :D
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

walter: prefbar.mozdev.org Coded by my Big Brother
walter

Post by walter »

.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

reactos foundation like mozilla should coordinate things such like that imho...
FORCE

Post by FORCE »

Now i posted offical video to youtube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wSE_lY5do2c
dark

Re: ReactOS Promote plan...

Post by dark »

FORCE wrote:
More you promote then more possibility that new developers and supporters arrive.
:!: Idea: Linus Torvalds was talking about how the old linux developers were scaring off new developers, it could be possible to find those new developers and get them working on reactos.
FORCE

Post by FORCE »

Made a little plan update for firefox user agent swicher code and uploaded printable promote doc file too, look first post.
walter

Post by walter »

could you please provide rtf or html version of the file? i still have to install openoffice or abiword, and i had problems opening it with wordpad. thank you
FORCE

Post by FORCE »

Currently statistic i made is that most effective word spreading is commenting on sites when there is operating system or similar related talk and including ReactOS document in free software.

Plan update feb 2008:
If someone makes videos that lot of people watch then you should include ReactOS address in video end or beginning, in Youtube example if you post some fun video then hundred of thousands people watch and see, better is that you include ReactOS address in video that fits in computer topic.
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

We could have graphical links we could copy onto our blogs or social networking websites, like Mozilla does.

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates/homepage

One or two people mentioned the Spread Firefox campaign already, so I'm not alone in my opinion. (Which is good.) I didn't see anybody post the URL, so I put it up.

We could have a couple different ReactOS banners, for testers, developers, fans, etc. It would be a cool way to get the word out and develop the community. If people get curious, eventually word will get out and sooner or later potential developers will hear about our project too. It wouldn't be much of an expense, either, just an extra page on the website. :)

...I checked Facebook and it seems someone started a Facebook group already, so I joined. (Sweet!)