My Startmenu

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Thcrw8383

My Startmenu

Post by Thcrw8383 »

This is my design of the ReactOS Start menu,I will create other design's so tell me what you think of each,this is my first one:

[img][img=http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/2930/trfgfod0.th.png]

Your Idea's are welcome,Ill try to make it look more like the Windows XP start menu if you'd like...[/img]
Thcrw8383

Post by Thcrw8383 »

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

This is very much like the Windows XP one, ,if not a clone, and I think something like this might be implemented, to offer UI-compatibility with Windows XP, so that all users that step over are used to everything.
Not because you 'made' it, though ;) :P
-graey-
dreams

Post by dreams »

I'm sorry but the startmenu for me is only for applications, not for updates, settings and spam. In Windows i also would prefer to see the 'Applications' menu immediatly when i click start.
Thcrw8383

Post by Thcrw8383 »

First of all,its not Spam,its a link to the ReactOS community forums and website,I thought this might be helpful for new people who use ReactOS and need to get help (other then the built-in help)
Avalos

Post by Avalos »

I cant view the second image :S
Morpheouss

Post by Morpheouss »

it sucks
.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

I prefer constructive criticism but:
i think that you should re-design it, because of ease of use.
Alkali

Post by Alkali »

Wow, everybody's so harsh. I think this is an excellent first step, its on par if not better than the current menu (better IMHO), and its as good as any of the other mock ups I've seen. I would suggest you view menu designs from some of the linux distros for some pointers since this is not very original, but good job so far.
Thcrw8383

Post by Thcrw8383 »

Morpheouss wrote:it sucks
I expect you can do better? :? anyway, ill have a look at other menu designs
florian

Post by florian »

Well I prefer the good old Win98 classic surface. Sorry.
Thcrw8383

Post by Thcrw8383 »

If you all tell me what you want to see (specifically),then maybe i can pull something together,but no rude remarks,just ideas please :roll:
HyTeK

Post by HyTeK »

Morpheouss wrote:it sucks
Vote for the best post of all time? :roll:

I like the XP style start menu. There are multiple levels of "organization" to the data that should be easily accessible, but not so many levels that your digging for oil trying to find what you need, or so little that you don't know where to start looking. The only thing that I did not like about XP is that the start menu seemed to be slow on lower end systems. Granted I want easy access to anything and everything, but I don't want to wait for several seconds for the menu to load everything too.

The one thing to this type of menu that you should NOT do, is follow what Suse did with SLED10. By default there is hardly anything useful on the menu except for Firefox and Evolution. And when you want to add stuff, they combine "everything" into one window, seperatating sections by color rows, and pretty much no other organization scheme to it. It is not very user friendly. I think they had a novel idea, but poorly implemented it.
Thcrw8383

Post by Thcrw8383 »

O.K. , my latest design, a win98-like menu,but with nice icons for that "updated and fresh" look

[/img][ external image ]
TiKu

Post by TiKu »

I don't like the all white background and the missing 3D border.

I hope the XP style startmenu will be implemented, I like it. Maybe for those who don't like it, a Win2k-like menu could be implemented.