open source directx?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

walter

open source directx?

Post by walter »

does anybody know if an open source directx clone exists? if so, does it have problems or limitations? thanks for you suggestions :)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Uh. Open source DirectX? Not that I know of. It's generally DirectX or OpenGL, and the two are not the same. DirectX actually covers sound as well as graphics.

DirectX can also be downloaded for free anyways, both the SDK and the runtime(I think it's called that). Is there a particular reason you're looking for an open source DirectX?
frik85
Developer

Re: open source directx?

Post by frik85 »

walter wrote:does anybody know if an open source directx clone exists? if so, does it have problems or limitations? thanks for you suggestions :)
The ReactOS project is working on a free open source DirectX implementation, mainly DirectDraw and Direct3D. All other DirectX libs are from the Wine project. Although, WineHQ also have D3D and DDraw, but both are wrappers around OpenGL, which have several draw backs.
The ReactOS project need a native implementation so that user can use nVidia, ATi, etc. graphic driver and get hardware acceleration.
Current status: both DDraw and D3D are not usable beside some sample demo apps.

@Z98
??? ... what are you writing about?
(... "eula", license, etc. ... don't forget about such things)
walter

Post by walter »

thanks for your answers :)

@ Z98: since usually open source sw is lighter and faster than similar closed source ones, i thought this could have helped me getting some more performance from my secondary pc (also, if there already existed open source directx they could be included in reactos, wine etc...)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

@frik85: Aware of such things. But I'm more of a pragmatist so when something is free(as in beer), duplicating it for the sake of licensing without a purpose is something I consider wasteful. But since ReactOS needs to be able to distribute such things, implementing it is understandable for the project.

Which is why I asked him what he wanted it for.
reub2000

Post by reub2000 »

Z98 wrote:Uh. Open source DirectX? Not that I know of. It's generally DirectX or OpenGL, and the two are not the same. DirectX actually covers sound as well as graphics.

DirectX can also be downloaded for free anyways, both the SDK and the runtime(I think it's called that). Is there a particular reason you're looking for an open source DirectX?
OpenAL covers sound.

And this project is to create a free as in speech operating system. Why would they accept proprietary code into the system?
Andrewm1986

Post by Andrewm1986 »

Question out of curiosity :

Could I install DX from MS when React OS works fully?
walter

Post by walter »

i think this might have legal issues because you can install directx only on an original ms windows. if i remember correctly, they made this license also to descourage who installed directx on wine.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Microsoft also might have modified the installer to check if it is an actual Windows system you're installing it to, like they did with IE7.

And I don't ever recall suggesting ReactOS distribute DirectX itself. I simply stated you could download it yourself for free, since the original question never specified whether it was for an actual Windows installation or for ReactOS.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

OpenAL are not cover by ms sound driver support and is not shiped with windows nt so it will not come with reactos as defualt either.