Linux XP - Sounds similar to ReactOS

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Floyd

Re: pay for download?

Post by Floyd »

tomleem wrote:One pays eighty nice cents to download it. One does not have to pay anything to download ROS. 8)
no, use a non-USA mirror, i didn't have to pay anything to get it.

but after 99 reboots you have to get a license key.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
Apal

Re: pay for download?

Post by Apal »

Floyd wrote:
tomleem wrote:One pays eighty nice cents to download it. One does not have to pay anything to download ROS. 8)
no, use a non-USA mirror, i didn't have to pay anything to get it.

but after 99 reboots you have to get a license key.
Except for that, the non USA mirrors are very slow. Well I have to leave my pc on for 2-3 days and maybe I'll get the iso! ;)
samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

Oh God! just let this post die!

... /me hides
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4
forart

Post by forart »

oiaohm wrote:Reactos does not need people thinking that secuirty problems can go just under carpet.
I don't agree: ROS (as any other open source project) needs everyone.
More people talk about it more it will be spreaded. :roll:

Have you hever heard about "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" ? 8)

We're in a Bazaar here. :wink:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Cire

Post by Cire »

I hope they release Linux Vista in January. :wink:
Flappz

Post by Flappz »

Ive Tried this, its a Russion Linux Rip-off to look and feel like Windows XP.
Its crap I was very displeased with it, and its nothing like ROS
PUOjACKz

Post by PUOjACKz »

oiaohm wrote:Linux servers and clients are protected by either apparmor or selinux. Both control what applications can and cannot do. Windows out box no application access control. I do mean none. If you use the quick switch between users one is admin and one is a limited account. You can reach from the limited account to the desktop of the admin user and control it. This is only a example of many secuirty holes in windows that means once you in the system is yours.
The problem of Windows is that, if you want to use an old program, not written for the NT Architecture, you need the maximum access.

Keep in mind that, the users that use XP are not nerds that use all their time to understard how the system work.
If have hear a lot of times (even from hardware technicians) that: "Windows must work like a tasker. They don't have to understand what backup is ecc.".

This ideas of windows usage are very stupid, but a lot of people think like this.

Malware and so on are not present in Linux, because, it don't have a great market share, and, think that you don't have to keep in consideration the security layer, on a OS, only because is not so spread as another, is the clear example of Security by Obscurity.

Do you want to fight this problem, on ROS? Good. Start to think about how to make the configuration more efficient against the classic windows bugs. The OS Hardening is the source (es. making the Local Protection Settings more extended and easy to setup).

After that, you can start to think about to implement a REAL firewall, and, maybe, a HIDS (Integrity Checker is a good idea) and a HIPS (a Core Force-Like, maybe introducing the concept of Capabilities even in Windows). With a configuration more modular, but efficient, you can make ROS secure more than Windows, with no use of Antivirus and Anti-Malware.

For example, there's a configuration, on Windows XP, that let an user (even if he is using ad administrator account) to not permit the dialer-injection. And this is a stupid configuration.

I have heard that, in ROS, the default user would be a limited account. Keep in mind that, if you set it with too few privilege, the user will switch to Administrator in a little time. Try to find out a middle way is always a good idea. You can't remove the risk, but you can limit it.

Another thing is, for example, that Linux don't give the Execution Privilege, as a default privilege on the binaries.
jorl17

Post by jorl17 »

I think that post should be in the suggestions...
Ki

Re: it's linux with wine

Post by Ki »

digiboy wrote:Like everyone said. It's just Linux with Wine pre-installed.

I myself have given up on Linux. Recently I tried to use a simple "old" HP LJ 4 printer with the latest and greated FC5 and it didn't work on both of my systems. Frustrated I installed Windows and it worked right away.

Linux drivers "currently" are too buggy.

Windows API is more evolved.
Windows drivers are more available and reliable.
Windows 2000/XP can be just as reliable as Linux now (9x was junk). I can't remember the last time I've seen a BSOD.
Linux would have just as many virus etc. if it was mainstream.
Granted MS apps suck (IE, Office) but we have FireFox and OpenOffice now.
And ROS is free.

The Choice is becoming more and more obvious.
Many people make that mistake about viruses. Linux doesn't have viruses because it was built in a more practical way making note of the terrible mistakes in Windows.

Windows XP reliable? ALPHA STAGE ReactOS is more reliable! Don't make me laugh. Sure, if my 2gb RAM, dual core 64bit 2.13ghz processors get eaten alive by windows trying to play a dvd whilst doing check disc is reliable, I'd hate to see 2000!

OpenSUSE rules, by the way :P.
Ki

Post by Ki »

Jorl17, you're 13 too? Nice. I've never met a 13 year old as geeky as me who actually spends their time on alternative OS forums xD.
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

Ki wrote:Jorl17, you're 13 too? Nice. I've never met a 13 year old as geeky as me who actually spends their time on alternative OS forums xD.
I first came here when I was 14, maybe 15, and I built my first PC when I was 13 xD
Don't worry, there lots and lots of people like us :P
-graey-