Installer / Package

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tachikoma_Pilot

Installer / Package

Post by Tachikoma_Pilot »

I want to make an installer / package that installs a bunch of apps together .....

I use to make my own setups with setup2go is there any such program compatible with reacOs ?
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

if it compatible with windows it is compatible with ReactOS
we provide diffemt software with packet mangers. it d/l diffent opensource program and install them.
mcgogo

Post by mcgogo »

hi,

why isn't the package manager in start menu or on the desktop?
Viator

Post by Viator »

Need to add a few more apps to the packagmanager which shouldnt be too hard. Frik85 is wirking on it. How it coming frik?
Cire

Post by Cire »

I'd suggest adding some games to the packmgr that works good with ROS like the demos of Unreal Tournament, Deus Ex and Quake (1, I'm not sure if 2 works), ScummVM (with Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen and maybe some demos) and maybe DOSBox with some DOS demo games. OpenTTD requires the original game data I think. I don't know any other games that works.
Tachikoma_Pilot

great idea guys
walter

Post by walter »

sorry, but i don't think so. i think we should include ONLY open source gpled software. this will allow us more freedom and avoid legal issues.

however, it's a good idea bundling open source clones of famous games (as frozen bubble is with puzzle bubble)...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Two things of note. One, since ReactOS is trying to be Windows compliant, there isn't any need to actually add game demos into the packmgr. You could just as easily go download the installer and install it yourself.

Second, if you mean include the demos in the packmgr on the net and not directly on the CD, and even if you meant putting them onto the CD, you would need to check if the demos permit redistributing. Some do, but that is absolutely no guarantee all do.

Oh and I guess a third point is, adding them onto a CD will only make the CD bigger, which most of us don't want to deal with.
folle_invasato

Post by folle_invasato »

I agree with Z98...software licenses is a thing we should always take care of...
Cire

Post by Cire »

Adding a software to packmgr (NOT the CD) means just adding a link to download location on the net in packmgr source code, I thought. In that case, ReactOS isn't really redistributing the software, right?
Viator

Post by Viator »

You are correct the packagemanager installs applications from the internet.(no need to scour the net or surf to sites) They should be all open source but the DO NOT have to be. It will make it alot easier to maintain than having a repository. But if the package owners site goes down or they stop maintaining it you wont be able to get it from the packagemanager which is where repos come in handy. Maybe a hybrid system would be apt where certain or all apps can be gotten from repos and from the net if one should fail the other will work :)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The general issue is whether ReactOS would host said package. That's what I meant about distributing. And there's even whether sites allow direct linking. Some get annoyed with that. Providing it's not an open source software, you need to check to make sure you can distribute it, or if not, whoever hosts it allows direct linking.
forart

Post by forart »

walter wrote:i think we should include ONLY open source gpled software.
...or GPL-compatible software. :wink:

I started to update my Untested (open source) software list into Open source software list, that features "graphical license-compatibility" (based on this document) and description. 8)

I already asked - by PM - frik85 (the compatibility database developer) to add this kind of feature to it, but no reply since now. :cry:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Flappz

Post by Flappz »

This is what I wanted to do also, I wanted Freebies Like Open Office, The GIMP, CD-XP Burner and more to be installed or atleast on the disk and have the Autoexec.bat to boot upon install like Windows does and have a button that says install other software.
Tachikoma_Pilot

I've abandoned this idea after reading the wiki and doing some research at this point it doesnt make sence maby when ReactOs 1.0 comes out *Tachi holds thumbs* :wink: