What about Crystal icons theme ?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Harteex

Post by Harteex »

mvent2 wrote: Use some attractive icons and you can really make yourselves look ahead.
Not everyone finds that style attractive..
jbond_00

yup, got that

Post by jbond_00 »

oiaohm:
Now a tool that takes the base svg of a crystal-clear or any other theme and produced the required windows icon files would be great. So when applications ask for Icons in Windows format they can get it.
sure, taking all the svg files in a directory and automatically converting them into .ico would be nice (like setting the size to 256x256 and deriving 256X256, 48x48,32x32,16x16 in the 3 bitmaps), but as you say, the tool isnt around, yet. right? also, are svg icons squares (ie x by y, x=y or "number of pixels wide" by "same 'number of pixels wide' as high")?

stuff is confusing with seemingly mulitple topics in one thread :roll: . or if just one main topic, the headline which seems to say something else added to my confusion.

all i did, with a few of the png files from this specific "theme," is ask if the 256x256 resize would look good (the files were originally 120x120). i am not sure if they will look good but they probraby look just okay. i have a couple .ico with me and can email them to someone if they use vista rc or something.

Matt
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

The big thing when see if a theme works for windows is the 16x16 size.

Some fancy Icons look completely don't work at that size.

I am not trying to do mult topics. I just really cannot rate if a theme will work without seeing it in the right sizes.

Basicly we need a tool to make reviewing of icons simpler.

There is a tool for linux that will do svg2png in anysize set you want as part of cairographics have not built cairographics for windows yet to see if it comes across.

A tool to make ico does not exist yet.
jbond_00

Post by jbond_00 »

oiaohm:
The big thing when see if a theme works for windows is the 16x16 size.
so much for the "scalable" part of svg :lol: .

but dont themes have the smaller versions as well? would the tool be practical if it took the corresponding 16x16 file and put it into the .ico? the unified name scheme stuff would come into play. i dont really play around with themes, let alone the ones recently for linux, so i dunno if there still are the smaller 16x16 and 22x22.

Matt
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

16x16 are the ones that appear in the systray in windows. The location next to the clock.

scalable is true for svg. Just larger no problems smaller not always.

Take a Bitmap and make it large it breaks into pixels. Smaller it can destroy itself as well.
jbond_00

Post by jbond_00 »

yup, 16x16 is in a few other places as well.

but i thought linux themes had a 16x16 "non-svg"(png?) file for some icons(if not all), in addition to the svg file. and also at 22x22. wouldnt those compensate for the "small icon problem" due to scaling a detailed image (like, i assume, is their purpose in linux)?

im basing this on a tango pack i have at home, sitting in some tmp dir.

Matt

PS. the "scalable" was a joke. as you said:
larger no problems smaller not always
should "always" be :wink:
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

There is a difference between Linux and Windows the required starting size for Linux is 32x32 not 16x16. Only special Icons are reproduced in 16x16.

Most likely a problem.

Unix has used larger icons for a long time.

http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon ... Guidelines

Min size of a Linux SVG only has to be 48×48+ if it works at that is passes the theming requirment. Everything bellow that can be special render png.

Almost all the right sizes. 32x32 22x22 and 16x16. Problem 16x16 is optional completely optional in a Linux theme. 16x16 is only menu entry and the like icons. System Tray and the like under linux is 22x22. Windows System Tray is 16x16. Basicly we have a problem.
jbond_00

Post by jbond_00 »

so put simply, yes; icon themes can be imported. however: 1) the 16x16 versions versions may look ugly. 2) it will not be easy due to the lack of a automated conversion tool and/or direct svg theme support.

Matt
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Ok almost.

Even With SVG direct support 16x16 still might look nasty. Since the SVG icon does not have to render that size under linux. Ie 48x48 is the min size the SVG has to do.

http://www.winterdrache.de/freeware/png2ico Found something handy.

And needs to be updated to support Vista icons. This should work nice with svg2png.

Ok still does not cure the 16x16 problem. Looks like a artist job to fix it.

I am slowly collecting the parts still have to test if the svg2png works under windows. Still a GUI will have to be built.
jbond_00

Post by jbond_00 »

lol i said that (after you first mentioned it); twas my "1)" cause it is the main problem.

anyway, great find on the png2ico. i found inkscape(for svg to png). i converted battery.svg from the tango pack to a png just now.

Matt
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Opps Thinking and typed something different. ie 16x16 instead of 32x32.

The svg might not be able to create the 32x32. In that case the theme should have a png copy of the 32x32. So svg generation all the time is not going to work as well as I hoped. At least the 48x48 and the 256x256 will be simple. Problems are not always locked to 16x16. 16x16 is just the hardest.

I want in time to have a intergated here is a Linux theme turn it into a Windows/Reactos one. Then we can go ok that works or Ok that really really does not. Or with a little bit of tweeking it will work. Maybe if we have it working might be able to talk to freedesktop.org to make a few more icons with the requirement of 16x16.
jbond_00

Post by jbond_00 »

but when the question of value comes into play, do people want to invest the time to bring it up to a higher quality (working with the files individually) to say it works well or as good as was originally intended? or do they even want to use it?

the quality issue can most easily be resolved, as you stated, by offering the sizes standard.

i think we could never say it works or doesnt because it is the individual who chooses whether or not to place value in them.

Matt

PS. but technically it works, lol, even though the icons deal with aestetics(sp?)
forart

Post by forart »

Some other links:

CrystalXP

Exquisite icons

Nuvola icons

and so on...

8)
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
forart

Post by forart »

UPDATE: I asked the support of CrystalXP.net community for ROS (and not only...)

Check my 3ad !

For those who wanna try icons on ROS, here's ConvertIcon: a ICO to PNG or PNG to ICO web converter. :wink:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.