Hanging Installation with 0.28 and 0.30

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mikey

Hanging Installation with 0.28 and 0.30

Post by Mikey »

My computer seems to be having an issue with installing from a CD onto a hard drive. It loads up normally (i.e. Boots from the CD, loads up initallity) but once it changes the installation screen to the dark blue version with no grey line at the bottom, it hangs. This problem seems to be specific to this computer as another computer I have tried it on works fine.

I've tried using a 0.28 release installation and a 0.30 release installation on a CD-R and a DVD-RW respectively and both hang at that point.

My hardware is as follows:
  • VIA motherboard (I cannot remember the model)
  • AMD Sempron 2800+ Skt 754 64-bit
  • 1GB DDR 400 RAM
  • Samsung HD @ 4GB (formatted to FAT16 and 32 in two partitions) - I don't think this is the problem as I put this in the other computer and works fine.
  • Nvidia 6600GT 128MB AGP
  • Creative soundblaster live 5.1
  • Pinnicale TV card (Rave I think)
I cannot work this one out... any ideas?
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

run it in debug-mode (selectable from within freeloader menu), and then you should see each module being loaded.... the last loaded module before hanging is most probably the one causing trouble.

i had this with the floppy driver, on a notebook not having a floppy drive. in such cases deleting/renaming the driver file from within e.g. windows helped...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

loki1985 wrote:run it in debug-mode (selectable from within freeloader menu), and then you should see each module being loaded.... the last loaded module before hanging is most probably the one causing trouble.

i had this with the floppy driver, on a notebook not having a floppy drive. in such cases deleting/renaming the driver file from within e.g. windows helped...
Do you mean downloading the debug build from sourceforge or do you mean once I've installed it?
Trasher

Post by Trasher »

Is your cdrom drive set to slave? change it to master. Worked for me.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Trasher wrote:Is your cdrom drive set to slave? change it to master. Worked for me.
I've put the CD/DVD in the master driver.... It could be my CD drive setup (I have a Old CD drive (circa 1995) as a slave). I'll disconnect it and try again.

EDIT: I've also noticed that the hard drive is constantly being accessed and the CD drive keeps on spinning after crashing...

EDIT: Found and solved the problem. I noticed that it may be my USB ports that were casuing the trouble so I accessed the BIOS and disabled the USB ports, the SATA controller and other unnesseray stuff as well. It worked fine.