Linux XP - Sounds similar to ReactOS

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

vahju

Linux XP - Sounds similar to ReactOS

Post by vahju »

tomleem

pay for download?

Post by tomleem »

One pays eighty nice cents to download it. One does not have to pay anything to download ROS. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
jorl17

Re: pay for download?

Post by jorl17 »

tomleem wrote:One pays eighty nice cents to download it. One does not have to pay anything to download ROS. 8)
Yeah, but you gotta admit, I think it may really have a good potential both in the open-source world and in the commercial world, it just needs to be revealed, as ROS does!
Dadesigna

Re: Linux XP - Sounds similar to ReactOS

Post by Dadesigna »

:? what is it? Is it compatible to Linux Softwares or Windows Software?

If it is compatible to Linux Software...
there are more interesting OpenSources
like openSUSE...
ReactOS: feel the spirit of opensource...
cruzades

Post by cruzades »

XP Linux is Linux based

while ROS is not.

What I could see (XP Linux), it is just same as other "distros" out there, it just with eye-candying theme, specifically an XP-theme.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

The theme is not even there own.

Its got just a few minor tweeks from the pictures and Winehq.org for windows compad.

Its still a linux kernel that has to use Linux drivers most of the time.

Reactos is a Windows style kernel that will use Windows Drivers.

Different games. Both have there place.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

I have just seen in one screenshot, that they use tahoma font. I guess there's no Open Source Tahoma, so do I need WinXP to make Linux XP look this way? Or does it download the windows fonts? Could ROS also include a downloader/installer for these fonts?
Dadesigna

Re: Linux XP - Sounds similar to ReactOS

Post by Dadesigna »

s*** off the rest, ROS is the best... 8)
ReactOS: feel the spirit of opensource...
samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

looks like some sort of red hat based distro with WINE and a XP theme....

I dont see ANY similarity with ReactOS
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4
jorl17

Post by jorl17 »

Yes indded, after takinga better look, it's just another linux with a compatibility program, it can't even run all of them, through what i've read...
Alkali

Post by Alkali »

The compatibility program is wine, the list of compatible windows programs links directly to the wine page. I really don't see anything new brought to the table hear.
digiboy

it's linux with wine

Post by digiboy »

Like everyone said. It's just Linux with Wine pre-installed.

I myself have given up on Linux. Recently I tried to use a simple "old" HP LJ 4 printer with the latest and greated FC5 and it didn't work on both of my systems. Frustrated I installed Windows and it worked right away.

Linux drivers "currently" are too buggy.

Windows API is more evolved.
Windows drivers are more available and reliable.
Windows 2000/XP can be just as reliable as Linux now (9x was junk). I can't remember the last time I've seen a BSOD.
Linux would have just as many virus etc. if it was mainstream.
Granted MS apps suck (IE, Office) but we have FireFox and OpenOffice now.
And ROS is free.

The Choice is becoming more and more obvious.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

I hate when people use Fedora a as a bench mark of Linux. Its a bit like using Current Reactos as the Bench Mark of windows.

Not even close. Fedora is nothing more than a limited Development release with stuff broken.

OpenSuse ships with comerial made addons. Some of these are drivers for stuff. Even Debian ships with more drivers than Fedora. Not that I recommend using Debian to a newbie.

There is a reason why Linux does not have viruses. Nothing to do with market share. If you total up all devices its 6 linux's to even 1 window's based thing. So Linux has the market share. Hackers could cause real harm if they could bring linux down.

Linux servers and clients are protected by either apparmor or selinux. Both control what applications can and cannot do. Windows out box no application access control. I do mean none. If you use the quick switch between users one is admin and one is a limited account. You can reach from the limited account to the desktop of the admin user and control it. This is only a example of many secuirty holes in windows that means once you in the system is yours.

In Linux you break in now you need to break the application secuirty to get to full control of system while risking that the system will send off a SOS to the admin that is breached or a attemped breach in progress. Its safer to hack a Windows box due to its lack of secuirty.

Windows Virus problem is nothing more than lack of internal defence in the OS. Vista should at long last fix most of that. But the limited to admin hack still works in Vista. So Disable quick switch between users its not safe.

Quick Switch between users on Linux is safe no secuiry hole.

Viruses exist on a platform due to bad construction in the OS or software running on it not the number of users. IIS also proves this. It had a lot less than apache since it was a soft target it got pounded a while back. I hope final Reactos does not have some of these major secuirty holes. As an Admin I don't want it to be simple for hackers to break it.
Windows API is more evolved.
Microsoft trash. Windows API is not more evolved. It just different. More evolved with suggest it has Scalable Windows and Icons at least to be at the same level as the current Linux Standard Base ABI. The Standard base is behind the bleeding edge. Linux API is still evolving it has not stoped yet.
Windows drivers are more available and reliable.
True for somethings False of others. Ok where are the Cell blade server drivers for Windows. When it comes to Wireless lan. Linux uses Windows drivers or its own. This will happen more often. So you can expect Linux to have more drivers than Windows. Why because it uses the windows ones as well. Also next Linux Standard Base version 3.2 will see the return of Canon made printer drivers to Linux.

Some linux driver problems have been caused by companys demanding a single device interface. One driver per platform for all Linux distros will come. Same with single binary codecs per platform for all linux distros newer Linux Standard Base's will have both.

And what is with that printer not working http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_print ... LaserJet_4
Status is works perfectly. Most likely you just need to know how to setup a linux printer or install the correct driver. Mind you it does not Autodetect under Linux.

Not everything does under Windows too. Reason Autodetect under windows can cause it to load completely the wrong driver and stuff everything up. Some printers don't have Autodetects under linux because its harmful due to more than one printer having the same signiture yet requiring completely different drivers. Linux admins perfer no driver to be loaded compared to the wrong one loaded.

My new computer insert a XP disk and it does not even install reason machine does not have a floppy and it has a sata harddisk. So you have to go slipstream the XP disk then install. But linux supports Sata straight out box. So both don't always come with everything you need.

Now Reactos still has its place. Advantages. Can be standalone and light on memory than what a Linux will be.

Reactos kernel can be used to run windows drivers contained on linux to support hardware linux does not have drivers for. Even run side by side with Linux using Xen. What Linux does better linux has direct hardware access to. What Linux does not support better Reactos has access to.

We are seeing the world of the Single OS on a machine end.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

http://fonts.appliedlanguage.com/tahoma_font.shtml

Sorry about the kinda of explosion. Reactos does not need people thinking that secuirty problems can go just under carpet.

tahoma font is downloadable from many sources.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

oiaohm wrote:http://fonts.appliedlanguage.com/tahoma_font.shtml
tahoma font is downloadable from many sources.
Yes, i have already found out myself. (It seems the eula even allows redistributing if it was taken from word 97 viewer.)
So maybe there should be a font updater app, like GetFirefox (GetCorefonts?) wich downloads and installs the fonts.