2 OS on a PC?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dadesigna

2 OS on a PC?

Post by Dadesigna »

I have tested ReactOS with MS VirtualPC...
it's cool :D...

I'd like to install it on my pc, but I can't delete MS-XP. I need it.
Is it possible to have ReactOS and MS-XP on a pc?

Long time ago, I have installed Linux and MS-XP. When my pc booted
I could choice between MS-XP and Linux.

Is it the same with ReactOS. Can I choice at start, wich OS I'd like to
use?
ReactOS: feel the spirit of opensource...
jorl17

Post by jorl17 »

Well, I'm not an expert in that business, but I can give a suggeston.

First, reactOS can only read FAT16 and FAT32 partitions, wich means that if you want to share data with your winXP from ReactOS (and xp is on NTFS), u can't.
Second. I'll tell you how i did it.
First, I got a GParted CD and resized the partitions. My WinXPHome stayed in an ntfs partition. And i made up two other partitions, both FAT32.
The first one (FAT32) was for me to install reactOS, I installed it and did not wirte the MBR, i wrote to the diskette (it wasn't working till e ejected and inerted the diskette again).
After that, i booted my WinXP, to check if it all was OK.
So now i had two new partitions one wich allready had data, rebooted inserted the diskette (Notice that i defined my bios to start, first from the diskette then from de HD) and booted ReactOS. ReactOS recognised all of the HD's, but could only read two of them - It's HD and the other FAT32 HD.
So, I wn't back to Windows and gave name's to the HD's, to get oriented (something like - WindowsXP, ReactOS, FileSHare)
And I coppied some files to the FAT32 partitio wich didn't possess any OS. So I use that prtition to better file share and share applications, though i could of just been using ReactOS's partition, cause WindowsXP can write there, but to prevent damage, I share them to another one. I even installed an app in inReactOS and used in WindowsXP.

Latelly, I've been trying to Multi boot, directly between XP and ReactOS. I am using the BOOT.ini ain XP and Frldr.ini in ReactOS, been editing them in order to try and multiboot, but i think i'm far from beiong able to do it.

Hope i Helped! Doubts, just ask
P.S: Remember of the Alpha Stage, between virtual machines and the actual machine, I noticed tuff diferences, that go from graphics to Explorer bugs. That's why i Manily use the virtual machine
Andrewm1986

Post by Andrewm1986 »

There is this article

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... _from_GRUB

on how to boot reactos from grub. Similar instructions can be found for windows.

There is a windows version of grub also. This way will give you a menu, but may be hard to set up for a first time user
Dadesigna

Post by Dadesigna »

ok...
thanks for replies...

I will look what I can do to use ReactOS and WinXP.
ReactOS: feel the spirit of opensource...