0.4.0 goals

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

reactux

Post by reactux »

what about aplication and drivers compatibility?
is that imrooved over relases?
tomleem

usb source code at source forge?

Post by tomleem »

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_ ... usb+driver
use source code for usb in ReactOS?

8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
tomleem

Re: usb source code at source forge?

Post by tomleem »

tomleem wrote:http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_ ... usb+driver
use source code for usb in ReactOS?

8)
One feature 0.4.0 could use is usb support (since verything now is usb this or usb that).

I forgot to add the above to my post. :(

8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

what about aplication and drivers compatibility?
is that imrooved over relases?
Yeah! thats one of the big points. Expect more in the future
One feature 0.4.0 could use is usb support (since verything now is usb this or usb that).
We already have some USB compability(mouse,keynoard), expect alot more in the next releases :wink:
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4
slythfox

Post by slythfox »

How about this: GUI png support. Those tango icons look terrible! Currently, there is no transparency support, and only 24 bit max color. As result everything looks bad.

Here's what I don't understand about ReactOS: Why completely copy the Windows OS? For example, use a linux partition rather than a proprietary FAT or NTFS filesystem. This gives more advantages to ReactOS. And, instead of creating your own notepad/wordpad clone, use an open source one like Notepad++.

My personal oppinion of ReactOS is to use more open source code: that way you have less work to do, and you get a better outcome! For example, take a look at the Linux 2.6 kernal to figure out how to get NTFS support.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

These arguments have been made before, and ultimately it's the developers whose decisions actually make the difference. I'm also assuming you mean filesystem when you say Linux partition. As far as NTFS and FAT32 is concerned, some of us would actually like to read NTFS drives, and FAT32 is so widely used it's more or less a universal filesystem because it spreads out across Linux/Unix, Windows, and Mac. Being unable to use FAT32 would be kind of stupid, considering all the places it is used in. As for Notepad++, there was a vote put forth by many members of this forum that said they didn't want it to be the notepad that came with ReactOS.

ReactOS is emulating Windows NT. NTFS is part of Windows NT, basically an integral part. Yes there are ways to make the permissions and other such things translate over to something like ext3, but that doesn't make NTFS go away. Nor does using a file system like ext3 necessarily give ReactOS any special kind of advantage. And as far as the fragmentation problem is concerned, if ReactOS ends up writing files anything like what Linux does, fragmentation would be the last of our worries. Spread out files are far more damaging to operating speed/efficiency. At least in Windows, you can defragment the drive to bring them back together.

ReactOS has recycled many things from other open source projects. If I'm reading the USB stuff correctly, they imported the driver for USB from a Linux implementation. Same goes for the NTFS and FAT32 drivers.
Sniper

Post by Sniper »

tomleem

USB Support!

Post by tomleem »

We already have some USB compability(mouse,keynoard), expect alot more in the next releases :wink:[/quote]

I look forward to it. There are - seemingly -so many USB periphials.

8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

For example, use a linux partition rather than a proprietary FAT or NTFS filesystem.
Umm... yeah.. we will be able to use ext2/ext3 partitions soon, and if you write windows drivers for other FileSystems we will gladly support them
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4
slythfox

Post by slythfox »

samwise52 wrote:Umm... yeah.. we will be able to use ext2/ext3 partitions soon, and if you write windows drivers for other FileSystems we will gladly support them
This GPLed driver maybe?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Support is already being integrated into ReactOS for ext2/3. samwise was referring to drivers for other filesystems, such as Reiser4(which some people pushed but won't happen unless someone ports a driver) or ZFS or the like.
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

Actually, IFS drivers cannot work in ReactOS until the Cache Manager is in working condition (Don't ask me why, this is just what has been said by developers). From what I've heard, the ReactOS FAT driver is very ReactOS specific, due to the problems with Cc (Cache Manager).

The ext2/ext3 driver is in ReactOS, but I believe it is disabled, along with a read-only NTFS driver. (Again) The reason for this is mainly the Cache Manager.

*Goes off hoping he didn't give any false information* ;)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

If true, that explains why the developers sometimes get annoyed with all the "suggestions" about filesystems.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

It is true Z98. And IFS drivers can be developed without being in the main tree too. There is a part build Reiser driver on sf.net. People could complete it if they have the skill and want to.