0.4.0 goals

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

digiboy

0.4.0 goals

Post by digiboy »

How does everyone feel about the goals in 0.4.0?

IMHO I think that some of them could wait later, and focus on more important features.

DHCP Server -> Easily use 3rd party for now
Remote Desktop -> 3rd party (VNC)
Telnet Server -> 3rd party (cygwin/ssh)

I think cloning core features would be more important such as SMB, NTFS, WDM. Then we could dual boot on real hardware and get things rolling.

Any opinions?
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

i'd really rather not marry cygwin to reactos. it just seems messy to me.
:-/
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

We always have http://www.kpym.com/ for ssh. At least that is something not requiring cygwin to work.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: 0.4.0 goals

Post by Jaix »

digiboy wrote:How does everyone feel about the goals in 0.4.0?

IMHO I think that some of them could wait later, and focus on more important features.

DHCP Server -> Easily use 3rd party for now
Remote Desktop -> 3rd party (VNC)
Telnet Server -> 3rd party (cygwin/ssh)

I think cloning core features would be more important such as SMB, NTFS, WDM. Then we could dual boot on real hardware and get things rolling.

Any opinions?
DHCP server will be included in the future.
VNC -Client is already working, just install UltraVNC, server will work in time, we need people who wants to debug and return info to the devs. We have a RDP-client on it's way, (probably one or two monts away).
Telnet-server will also be included in the furure.

All these are important stuff and will come and probably sooner then later.

How about SAMBA-client & server, Clipboard, Printing-system, local security, login, directx, not to mention stability and compatibility.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

Jaix wrote:How about SAMBA-client & server, Clipboard, Printing-system, local security, login, directx, not to mention stability and compatibility.
Samba-TNG client, clipboard, gina logon and directx (draw and later d3d) are work in progress and will come in near future too.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

I'd like better compatibility with Qemu. tcpip.sys keeps crashing after a very short time when running in qemu, but i don't know if this is a bug in the tcp/ip stack or in the LAN driver. I don't think it's a problem with qemu, because debian sid runs fine in Qemu for hours.
Surprisingly, i can't get ReactOS to work in VMware on Linux. The installation works fine but it it'll crash with a bluescreen when trying to run it. It works with VMware on Windows though, and it's surprisingly stable :o)
digiboy

Post by digiboy »

Jaix wrote: DHCP server will be included in the future.
VNC -Client is already working, just install UltraVNC, server will work in time, we need people who wants to debug and return info to the devs. We have a RDP-client on it's way, (probably one or two monts away).
Telnet-server will also be included in the furure.

All these are important stuff and will come and probably sooner then later.

How about SAMBA-client & server, Clipboard, Printing-system, local security, login, directx, not to mention stability and compatibility.
That all sounds good to me :D

Just wanted to make sure priorities are where the majority would like them.

But then again, with many developers working I guess it really doesn't matter. Just plug stuff into the main trunk once it's working.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

frik85 wrote:
Jaix wrote:How about SAMBA-client & server, Clipboard, Printing-system, local security, login, directx, not to mention stability and compatibility.
Samba-TNG client, clipboard, gina logon and directx (draw and later d3d) are work in progress and will come in near future too.
Yes, isn't that nice!
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

digiboy wrote:That all sounds good to me :D

Just wanted to make sure priorities are where the majority would like them.

But then again, with many developers working I guess it really doesn't matter. Just plug stuff into the main trunk once it's working.
Exactly, I wasn't opposed to you, just informing you about that those stuff will probably come before 0.4 (unless 0.4 is coming really soon).
samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

IMO the big thing about 0.4 is MSVC building :D
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4
Ferret-Simpson

Post by Ferret-Simpson »

NTFS isn't even supported on the *NIX's yet. I'm looking forward to Clipboard, Security, and Samba. Oh, and stability etc etc.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Ferret-Simpson wrote:NTFS isn't even supported on the *NIX's yet.
NTFS _is_ supported on Linux. Advanced features like rights management, compression, encryption etc. don't work, but the basics (e. g. reading, writing, creating and deleting files) do with the ntfs-3g driver. However i don't think it's necessary for ReactOS. If one really needs NTFS, he can use the driver from Windows.
Andre

Post by Andre »

NTFS read/write support is in the roadmap for version 0.5
So I guess we shouldn't worry about that right now.
Then, while devolping 0.4.0 the ntfs-3g can be also
further developed, and to be ported after the 0.4.0
release.
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

Andre wrote:NTFS read/write support is in the roadmap for version 0.5
So I guess we shouldn't worry about that right now.
Then, while devolping 0.4.0 the ntfs-3g can be also
further developed, and to be ported after the 0.4.0
release.
Who said anything about ReactOS using NTFS-3G? If anything, (imo) ReactOS NTFS support should be based on Linux-NTFS (No messy FUSE crap).
Andre

Post by Andre »

It is at the moment the most complete open sourse implementation of the NTFS filesystem.
One of the goals of 0.5 is full NTFS read/write support. This is providing that, so wouldn't it be logical to use this, in stead of an other incomplete solution.