React OS = Linux?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ferret-Simpson

Post by Ferret-Simpson »

Capable of being hacked and formatted by a three year old with a z-tech?
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

That depends. Do you think an OS can only be as secure as the applications it runs?
jorge1987

Post by jorge1987 »

I hope ReactOS never be like Linux.

Saludos :D:D
Andrewm1986

Post by Andrewm1986 »

jorge1987 wrote:I hope ReactOS never be like Linux.

"Like" Linux how?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Andrewm1986. Complicated, unuseable for PC beginners and compicated for advanced users, too.

For example the resolution:

XP: Control Panel, Mouse to right, Res got higher.
*nix: Bitchin around in config files.
And I could continue the whole day this way.

Old, slow, shitty X-Server thrown on a old Terminal OS, same sick hype as the one made for FireFox.
Ferret-Simpson

Post by Ferret-Simpson »

So get Mandriva!

I believe that an OS itself has to be secure, and it's applications also have to be secure. If there's a problem with one, that's not especially compensated for in the other, then it doesn't matter how secure the other is.
Andrewm1986

Post by Andrewm1986 »

EmuandCo wrote:Andrewm1986. Complicated, unuseable for PC beginners and compicated for advanced users, too.

For example the resolution:

XP: Control Panel, Mouse to right, Res got higher.
*nix: Bitchin around in config files.
And I could continue the whole day this way.

Old, slow, shitty X-Server thrown on a old Terminal OS, same sick hype as the one made for FireFox.
X is nothing to do with linux os.

Linux is the kernel....
jorge1987

Post by jorge1987 »

it does not concern the security to me, I want a easy system, where
to run my applications for Windows.

If I want a Linux like sistem, I use "Linux", "BSD", "Minix", and other so many SOs, *nix, I like ReactOS, because, is not a Linux like system.

If I want Linux, I Install Linux, If I want a W32, I install ReactOS. :P ;)

PD: Linux is for servers, Linux for desktops, Sux. Linux, is a great and very very secure system, but its dont like to my friends, or my clients, and it dont likes to me, no for be hard, because, is not in my necessities a extra secure system, but yes is a necessity to me, what the system can be easy for the end users.
Ferret-Simpson

Post by Ferret-Simpson »

1987:
Linux for servers: Sucks. Use Solaris on a nice set of Fire E25K's
Linux for desktops? Ok if you like Unix. OpenBSD is better.
Linux for PDA's? UNBEATABLE.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

At my university most people say unix=cool, windows=sux, most PCs have solaris 1 installed (only PC in our Internet cafe have win NT installed). I don't have much unix knowledge, but I managed to download a file from my ftp server using command line ftp, it only took a little longer than normal. I just didn't realize that there was a new PC with win 2k installed, explicitly signed with a label that only experienced people should use it ;-)
One of my Profs needed about half an hour to simply email some .ps files compressed as tar gzip to me. In win it would have taken about 2 minutes. If I have asked him to send them as pdf compressed as .zip, he would probably have said "no, that's not possible!" So linux sux as desktop OS for everyone who is not able to use it. And that's much people. And sadly a lot of people seem to think they are able to use it (because it's cooler than win), but they aren't.
Ferret-Simpson

Post by Ferret-Simpson »

"ThePhysicist" And university. Doesn't that say it all? UNIX type OS's are "Cool" because they show that the user has an IQ of above 3.

I think that the biggest problem with UNIX as a Desktop OS is that all the attempts to make it a suitable Desktop OS have been half-assed and poorly attempted. When i said mandriva, I was very much joking. The last few times I tried to use a mandrake/Mandriva release, they were buggy and complicated. It's not that Linux doesn't have the capability of being a powerful and Easy-To-use desktop OS, after all, Look ac Mac OSX! It's a great Desktop/Workstation OS, And it runs on the FreeBSD Kernel. It's just that the people who tend to code Linux distributions don't have the time of day for a serious effort to make it user friendly, unlike PDA software manufacturers such as TrollTech. Qtopia after all, is a great PDA GUI, as well as a great Phone GUI. The open source variant and equivalent, Opie and GPE respectively: are like cheesy kids music from the 90's. made for <X> by <X>. Not made for the public.
Zephyr.Pellerin

Post by Zephyr.Pellerin »

Or Maybe, Help out Mozilla and develop a more IE compatible browser with ActiveX controls (With Safety features of course), and all that other good stuff
the_darkside_986

Post by the_darkside_986 »

Before I found out about this project, I thought to myself, wouldn't it be interesting if someone wrote a free win32 kernel just like Linus wrote a unix kernel...

I have my computer set up to dual-boot openSUSE + Windows XP. I think win32 and unix systems are great in their own separate ways--and being able to dual-boot a free open source version of both of them would be a dream come true. I wish I knew how to write complex applications so I could help with this project in my own spare time.
AdB3

Post by AdB3 »

ThePhysicist wrote:At my university most people say unix=cool, windows=sux, most PCs have solaris 1 installed (only PC in our Internet cafe have win NT installed). I don't have much unix knowledge, but I managed to download a file from my ftp server using command line ftp, it only took a little longer than normal. I just didn't realize that there was a new PC with win 2k installed, explicitly signed with a label that only experienced people should use it ;-)
One of my Profs needed about half an hour to simply email some .ps files compressed as tar gzip to me. In win it would have taken about 2 minutes. If I have asked him to send them as pdf compressed as .zip, he would probably have said "no, that's not possible!" So linux sux as desktop OS for everyone who is not able to use it. And that's much people. And sadly a lot of people seem to think they are able to use it (because it's cooler than win), but they aren't.
I COMPLETLY UNDERSTAND where you are coming from, I've used windows forever, and it is generally quicker. Although, as I am now taking more and more CS classes I've been forced to use Linux, and while I still suck at using it, I see its power. The learning curve is too steep!!! But I use windows, the solution SFU. I tried cygwin but I couldn't stand it on my computer. Now I don't know how I could live without vim, emacs, gcc, and man pages for all the other wonderful utilities I have no idea about, YET. In my ideal world ReactOS would provide the 'speed' of windows AND the raw power that this open-source movement has created.
To-mos

Post by To-mos »

st wrote:No. It is based on its own WinNT-like kernel written from scratch.
Ahhh yea the source code is signed buy Linus.