What would you like to use ReactOS for?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

What would you like to use ReactOS for?

Multimedia/Gamming
48%
Network Server(web/ftp/smb/dhcp/telnet/other...)
11%
Desktop/Office
32%
Other
10%

Total votes: 165

Ratteler

Post by Ratteler »

Multimedia/Gamming

My reasons are

#1) It's the hardest to do.

#2) It will have a trickle down effect on all others as Online Gaming, will force better networking, and higher graphics power will help with Office apps too.

#3) It Windows #1 strength, and Linux's biggest weakness. When Half Life and Steam run full speed under RoS, Windows will actually be forced to compete again, and may rememeber that the Customer is #1. Not the special interest group or their own agenda for World domination. :lol:
terra.clay

Post by terra.clay »

To play any games released for windows around 1997-2003 (or newer) with modest hardware.

Would love to have a gaming system as light as Win98 yet have some advanced capabilities similar to *NIX system. So far ReactOS is going great.
hefner

Post by hefner »

i will use it as an Windows-Compatible Thinclient OS with ultrafast boottime.

I need only an Working Network Stack, Graphics Drivers and an stable RDP Client :)
PUOjACKz

Post by PUOjACKz »

One of the duty of my work is PC Technician and I would replace WinXP with ReactOS, in order to remove all the authentication annoyance and copyright/closed source problems of Microsoft Windows, in all the installation and users that want Windows.
IMHO, I will promote ReactOS, instead of Vista, reintroducing a perfect backward compatibility with Win9x programs and games.

I hope that ROS could be useful in the desktop enviroment ASAP, because, I'm tired of XP and it's palladium activation.

Long Life to ReactOS.
kopinux

Post by kopinux »

probably everything.
cardondenis

Windows TSE alternative for runing windows only software

Post by cardondenis »

LTSP (ltsp.org) is a great tool to replace desktop by linux thin client. It is a cost cutting solution for both businesses and school. The thing that makes the migration path to this kind of plateform difficult is compatibility with windows based applications.
Installing a Windows TSE (terminal service) allow a linux thin client to access windows application remotly, but it is awfully expensive.
Having TSE in ReactOS (plus application compatiblity) would make it a killer app (outch, I should say os).

Cheers
forart

Post by forart »

samwise52 wrote:Orbital weapons platform control system....
Are you mad ?

Silos control for Global thermonuclear war ! (aka DEFCON)

[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
:shock: :P
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

HA! Lets play tic-tac-toe instead... :wink:
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: Windows TSE alternative for runing windows only software

Post by Jaix »

cardondenis wrote:LTSP (ltsp.org) is a great tool to replace desktop by linux thin client. It is a cost cutting solution for both businesses and school. The thing that makes the migration path to this kind of plateform difficult is compatibility with windows based applications.
Installing a Windows TSE (terminal service) allow a linux thin client to access windows application remotly, but it is awfully expensive.
Having TSE in ReactOS (plus application compatiblity) would make it a killer app (outch, I should say os).

Cheers
I agree, but it will take a really long time until ROS is stable enough for Terminal Services, but as a client we will be a serious alternative pretty soon. By the way, the MSTSC is under way.
andrei

Window must die?

Post by andrei »

I'm developing web sites. Linux works perfect for me, however many web-users prefere Windows and are using IE. Thus I need to run IE somehow for testing purposes.

I don't like Windows for it's not free. ReactOS, I hope, will work for me.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: Window must die?

Post by Jaix »

andrei wrote:I'm developing web sites. Linux works perfect for me, however many web-users prefere Windows and are using IE. Thus I need to run IE somehow for testing purposes.

I don't like Windows for it's not free. ReactOS, I hope, will work for me.
This is embarrassing for me, but I must say... ...IE doesn't work in ReactOS, but it does on WINE, so I suggest you use Linux all the way for this purpose. Saying this I really hope you stay with us anyway as ReactOS gets more mature it might run IE in the future.
samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

LOL seems no one wants to trust an NT clone for Server dutties... FOOLS!

ReactOS is gonna be a nice Web Server (when apache 2 finally works (hopefully in 0.3.1)) OMG I CANT WAIT!!
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4
FORCE

Post by FORCE »

Gaming and desktop os because it is much faster and wont conain any useful services and other shit like win does.
samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

Hallowed are the Ori
You must all be brought to the light that is ReactOS
Nice.
Gaming and desktop os because it is much faster and wont conain any useful services and other shit like win does.

Yeah.. but most games require DirectX and this may take a while to finish...
FORCE

Post by FORCE »

Yeah.. but most games require DirectX and this may take a while to finish...[/quote]

I hope this after 2-3 years or so that DirectX quite functional, but now i promote ReactOS every way i can.