Firefox and other browsers status in 0.3.0 RC2

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

steveh

Firefox and other browsers status in 0.3.0 RC2

Post by steveh »

i'm running 0.3.0 RC2 in qemu.

Firefox installer:
- getfirefox works (download goes for 100%)
but then
- firefox installer works quite until the end, finally it crashes reactos with a bluescreen
- firefox installer previously downloaded (not with reactos getfirefox), fails the same way with a bluescreen, so getfirefox is OK, and firefox installer itself has problems with reactos

Portable firefox:
- works
- my version is 1.5.0.3, when trying automatic update (to 1.5.0.6) the download works but the XPI update does not install, some error message about an XML file (??)

reactos' built-in "ibrowser":
- the activex download and installation works
but afterwards, bluescreen on each start of ibrowser...

IE2.0
- install completes without any error msg but afterwards there is no trace of the IE (!!)

IE3.02NT
- error message saying it cannot install because IE4.01 is already on the system ***LOL***
- installation of the separate mail and news components (the old predecessors of outlookexpress) of IE3.02 completes but i don't find them afterwards !

IE4.01SP2
- begins install, cannot complete because it says download of additional components failed (???)

Netscape 4.80
- installer starts but finally crashes with a bluescreen

Conclusion:
PortableFirefox 1.5.0.3 is usable on reactos 0.3.0rc2.
Another try will be the PortableFirefox 1.5.0.6 which is also available for download.

I have not yet tried to install opera. To be done!

And finally for all GUI reluctant people:
The simple text-based "lynx for win32" browser in the DOS window, also works on reactos.
digiboy

firefox works for me

Post by digiboy »

I installed firefox using the getfirefox program in the menu and it worked for me, it just took a long time (seemed to stall a few times).

I used 0.3.0 RC2 QEMU download although I used my own copy of qemu since the one downloaded just kept saying "access denied" (version conflict with kqemu ?).

I wonder why there would be different results when using qemu?
hefner

Post by hefner »

in RC 2 - Vmware the Firefox - Installer downloads, Install and starts Firefox without any Problem ... but if i want to browse , i must move the mouse to load the sites. This Problem also was in every Vmware version before...
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

I am writing this from FF on ROS 0.4.0 SVN rev23588 in QEMU itt is almosst impossible to typee single lletters. But downnload and install worked fine. mouse move bug seems still there.
jorge1987

Post by jorge1987 »

I Use Opera 9 in ReactOS, I have a little treubles, but I'm not sure if that are problems os VMware or probles of ReactOS and Opera.

Saludos :D:D

PD: Opera Rulez.
kopinux

Post by kopinux »

im using actual hardware:

firefox.
get firefox works.
but i manually downloaded firefox 1.5.0.6 and put it in my reactos partition in other os.
since anything related to download closes the windows.
firefox 1.5.0.6 works 100% from the installation to appearance, the problem is anything related to download closes the windows.

opera9
installation works and it runs but the address bar is messed up and it does not connect to the net.
florian

Post by florian »

Has anyone already tried opensource k-meleon which is based on the Gecko layout engine?

I could imagine that k-meleon would be much faster as FF on ROS as many people are using it on older machines. And maybe it could even work without having to download the Mozilla Active X Control first? (But probably not.)

I am curious because there is a new version 1.01 since 14.08.2006.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

florian wrote:Has anyone already tried opensource k-meleon which is based on the Gecko layout engine?
K-meleon works fine in reactos and winxp.
it's on both a lot faster than firefox because k-meleon uses native GUI (GDI) instead of a slow widget engine like firefox.

I will add it to the package manager, so that people can download it in 0.3.0 themself.
jorge1987

Post by jorge1987 »

Flock and SeaMonkey are a gecko based browsers, from mozilla fundation, and are best than firefox.

frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

jorge1987 wrote:Flock and SeaMonkey are a gecko based browsers, from mozilla fundation, and are best than firefox.

Flock, SeaMonkey and k-meleon are from community not from Mozilla directly. Only Firefox, Thunderbird, Bugzilla, etc. are from Mozilla or now only supported/maintained and widely hyped because of big sponsors behind like Google, etc.

And yes, all three (like our ibrowser) are based on the gecko engine.
jorge1987

Post by jorge1987 »

frik85 wrote:
jorge1987 wrote:Flock and SeaMonkey are a gecko based browsers, from mozilla fundation, and are best than firefox.

Flock, SeaMonkey and k-meleon are from community not from Mozilla directly. Only Firefox, Thunderbird, Bugzilla, etc. are from Mozilla or now only supported/maintained and widely hyped because of big sponsors behind like Google, etc.

And yes, all three (like our ibrowser) are based on the gecko engine.
Yes, you are right, sorry about that, it's very hard to me say the things with clarity.

Disculpen, no estoy muy acostumbradoa hablar en ingles, no quice decir que eran de la fundacion mozilla, quice decir que el motor de navegacion gecko, era de la fundacion mozilla, y se entendio cualquier cosa, jajaja, bueno, mis disculpas.
florian

Post by florian »

frik85 wrote:K-meleon works fine in reactos and winxp.
K-meleon version 1.0 didn`t function within my "qemulated" ROS 0.30 RC2. I just used an unzipped version and burned it as an .iso to test it from emulated cdrom within ROS - maybe that was too much.

But the off by one web browser version 3.5d worked. Of course this is a very limited browser with only html 3.2 and even no css support as far as I can remember and pages look like, too!

http://offbyone.com/offbyone/

Edit: Oh, an older version (3.5a) of the off by one web browser is already in the compability database:
http://www.reactos.org/support/index.ph ... y&group=22

But K-meleon wasn`t, that I checked before my post in this thread.
samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

Get Firefox works perfectly for me. (even tho FireFox works very poorly)

IE 4 Installation failes

http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ie4ok4.png
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4
bierleiche

FTP/HTTP Downloads

Post by bierleiche »

i have tried ReactOS 0.3.0 RC3 VMWare and installed Firefox with the integrated Install-Link.
Browsing works well. But when i try to access ftp-sites it either hangs, closes itself or crashes with bluescreens.

Downloading doesn't work at all with firefox in my case.

The integrated ReactOS-Browser makes it to download several things but i am not able to enter letters on for example goolge.

I have also tried the ftp - command in the command prompt. Connections can be established but the file transfers don't work properly so far.

Well...i just keep trying and waiting for the next ReactOS-Versions :roll:
jorl17

Re: FTP/HTTP Downloads

Post by jorl17 »

bierleiche wrote:i have tried ReactOS 0.3.0 RC3 VMWare and installed Firefox with the integrated Install-Link.
Browsing works well. But when i try to access ftp-sites it either hangs, closes itself or crashes with bluescreens.

Downloading doesn't work at all with firefox in my case.

The integrated ReactOS-Browser makes it to download several things but i am not able to enter letters on for example goolge.

I have also tried the ftp - command in the command prompt. Connections can be established but the file transfers don't work properly so far.

Well...i just keep trying and waiting for the next ReactOS-Versions :roll:
The same happens to me with mozilla and with the ReactOS browser, but the google thing doesn't allways happen, and it happens everywhere, the cursosr just keeps staying in the Adress bar. Still trying to figure out if it is beacause of something I did...