OS Game Compatibility

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

keese210

OS Game Compatibility

Post by keese210 »

Hi I just recently heard about this new operating system, so I thought I would check it out. I've heard that the OS is a reconstructed Windows 98. My question is:
Since wat you're working on was at one point Windows 98, does that mean that when I go to look for games for this thing, I will need to look for Win98 compatible games?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Theoretically, once ReactOS is more or less complete, any Windows game that was designed for NT and beyond should run on ReactOS. You don't need to look for Windows 98 games. In fact, I don't even know of those would run, since games like C&C and Red Alert do not work on XP without setting a compatibility mode.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

No this was not windows 98 at any point. There was once an attempt to create a win98 compatable OS but this is not it, although I beleve some of the developers may have been involve with both.
Reactos is intending to be winNT (including 2000,XP etc) compatable rather than win98 compatable.
kopinux

Post by kopinux »

i installed dosbox with it, and run a few dos games, it was great.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

HI
ReactOS is aiming at create a NT kernel (windows nt4.0/2000/xp/2003) kernel.

ReactOS will run win32 games and software,

ReactOS will not run 16bits apps.

Moblius is a project that is trying create a windows 98 clone. But they have not done much the last 3 year it seam they have died or some thing.
Only project left and is active devloping is ReactOS that aim to create a windows equal on the market. And we are only OS project that have reach so far we have done.
candle_86

Post by candle_86 »

will a compatability mode be included at a later date?

Also will reactos be released in a 64bit flavor?
Jaix
Moderator Team

compatibility and 64bit.

Post by Jaix »

candle_86 wrote:will a compatability mode be included at a later date?

Also will reactos be released in a 64bit flavor?
Welcome to ReactOS!
About compatibility my personal believe is that there will be developed a 16bit compatibility layer sooner or later (probably later) when most of the main goals of ROS is accieved and some developers can spend time on other things then just make stuff work.

When it comes to 64bit I am pretty sure that there will be such a port as soon as there are GPL development tools for it, or everything works well to run under MSVS (Microsoft Visual Studio).
PUOjACKz

Post by PUOjACKz »

About Win98 compatibility, in ROS, probably, in the future, someone could insert it. Remember that ROS is OpenSource, so, it will be not strange if someone will start a distro of this OS, improving some part not implemented in the original project.
Of course, these considerations could be made only if the OS is FOSS. Closed source OS is another world.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

It's not about "Open Source", it's about time and technic limitations. It's in a reasonable timeframe technically not possible to "add" Win9x driver compatibility to ReactOS.
Win9x is based on DOS and the drivers have direct hardware access.

Let's talk about the applications, it's about the Win32 API (abbreviation: "WinAPI"), almost all apps written with using the WinAPI should run on WinXP and ReactOS.

Win9x apps will (propably) work as long they don't interact with Vxd drivers (CD burning apps, scanner/printer apps, etc.

btw. you can still run Win 1, 2, 3x, 9x and ME apps in WinXP, even apps which are more than 20 years (e.g. Win 1 apps) old run almost without any glitches.
PUOjACKz

Post by PUOjACKz »

But maybe, someone could implement, in the OS, a particular workaround for VxD drivers of these programs. About the OpenSource, this fact make the OS more editable than a Closed Source one. This is a step beyond XP logic.
keytotime

Post by keytotime »

Yes that may happen in the future, but for now I would rather it become fully XP compatible. ReactOS does not have fully working USB drivers.
PUOjACKz

Post by PUOjACKz »

What is important, now, is that ReactOS have to come out from the "factory", as a NT clone, in order to have a Windows XP alternative ASAP. After that, we could stay here all the time to discuss any implementation to do, but the OS must be complete and stable before doing this.
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwww i was hoping 16 bit would be enabled at some piont then it would have more of a leading edge against XP and NT i hatw XP for not supporting 16 bit because dos box doesn't always work. :(
So if you could please find it your hearts to support 16 bit i tink that would widley be appreciated. :cry:
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

Win16 apis are actually needed for some software titles, because they use a 16bits installer. Older version of MS Office are noteworthy examples of this.

Patience is a virtue.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

ya, but 16bit programs don't work on x64 either. Could not install Starwars racer because it's installer is 16bit. Programs have already moved on from 16bit.