Running in Bochs

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

whirl

Running in Bochs

Post by whirl »

I'm in the middle of compiling my first stab at ReactOS and was looking ahead to how I was going to get it to run on the Bochs emulator. What steps should I take to make the 'bootcd' build of ROS run on Bochs for Windows? Thanks!
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

I would really recommend to use QEMU. There's already a preinstalled QEMU-Version including QEMU downloadable. It's much faster and easier to use, when using Qemu Manager frontend.
If you want to have it even faster use vmware-server or VirtualPC, both freeware now.
You will not have to take any special steps, except compiling with dbg=0 and kdbg=0 if you compile trunk, because it might not be working with debugging on.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi bochs is great emulator in many way but have one big problem speed.
ReactOS defualt is using graphic user interface (GUI). I am recomande if u do not need doing really advance debuging, u should switch to

vmware or qemu
both are free for linux.

If u do not need todo extream advance debuging I say use qemu or vmware. I am using vmware server in frist hand. and doing almost all debugibg there.

Bestreagds
Magnus
whirl

Post by whirl »

ThePhysicist wrote:I would really recommend to use QEMU. There's already a preinstalled QEMU-Version including QEMU downloadable. It's much faster and easier to use, when using Qemu Manager frontend.
If you want to have it even faster use vmware-server or VirtualPC, both freeware now.
You will not have to take any special steps, except compiling with dbg=0 and kdbg=0 if you compile trunk, because it might not be working with debugging on.
If I were to use vmware Server or VirtualPC, how would I point those to the boot CD I've made? Would I have to actually make an ISO image of that and put it on CD, or can I run it 'locally'?
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi
Vmware can mount a ISO/images as CD
same goes for floppy and hd
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

whirl wrote:If I were to use vmware Server or VirtualPC, how would I point those to the boot CD I've made? Would I have to actually make an ISO image of that and put it on CD, or can I run it 'locally'?
Select the ISO (mount as "CD") which you have downloaded from reactos.org website with VMware, QEMU, Bochs or Virtual PC.
whirl

Post by whirl »

frik85 wrote:Select the ISO (mount as "CD") which you have downloaded from reactos.org website with VMware, QEMU, Bochs or Virtual PC.
I'm not downloading an ISO from the website, I'm compiling one.

What all do I put into the ISO I'm making? The entire output-i386 folder or what?
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

whirl wrote:
frik85 wrote:Select the ISO (mount as "CD") which you have downloaded from reactos.org website with VMware, QEMU, Bochs or Virtual PC.
I'm not downloading an ISO from the website, I'm compiling one.

What all do I put into the ISO I'm making? The entire output-i386 folder or what?
NO!

Code: Select all

make

make bootcd
make livecd
... bootcd & livecd commands will create for you two ISO files. Just select the prefered one in your virtual machine app (VMware, etc.).
whirl

Post by whirl »

Ah, I see that now. This makes life a whole lot more simpler. Thanks!
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

I may be wrong for doing this, but to update I have used make install to create an installed reactos tree that I copied over the existing disk contents rather than re-installing the whole thing (not that that takes long anyway)