Notepad++ as the default ReactOS editor?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Notepad++ as the default ReactOS editor?

Yes
32%
No
60%
Maybe
8%

Total votes: 73

FORCE

Post by FORCE »

Yes it is good and i use it too but for default install must contain simple notepad and lots of people wants this who dont need extra possibilities.
uriox

Post by uriox »

The problem with Reactos is the target audience. Most people here seem to think that first target will be the average Joe. I'm sorry guys, but this won't happen, no chance a guy like this is going to even think about installing a new OS... :(
Only geeks and so on will install reactos on real hardware. Look at real simple OSes, like geekbox. Everyone can install it, yet who's using this ? Geeks. That's all you'll get first.
So saying that notepad++ is too complex is nonsense for me. :wink:
Well, whatever, reactos pad has its advantages (you can change the code to test whether kernel implements something, etc.).
But it's obvious keeping function limited apps like this is a direct call for distros. Same thing for file manager, calculatot, shell, etc.
In the end, only the kernel and real core applications will matter, we all know this I guess.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

The original notepad tool is simple and fast. As long as that basic functionality of the originals is present then it need no other. Your notepad and wordpad should be windows-like. If a ROS user wants to add another editor then I see no problem with obtaining it outside the base package.

By implementing "cool" features into Windows replacement files, the devs risk alienating their flock. /parrot
Go Huskers!
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

uriox wrote:The problem with Reactos is the target audience. Most people here seem to think that first target will be the average Joe. I'm sorry guys, but this won't happen, no chance a guy like this is going to even think about installing a new OS... :(
Only geeks and so on will install reactos on real hardware. Look at real simple OSes, like geekbox. Everyone can install it, yet who's using this ? Geeks. That's all you'll get first.
Would you say the users on this forum are a good cross section of the people who will use ReactOS?
Looking at the poll results, you'll notice the number of people who don't want notepad++ outweigh the number of people who do by about 3 to 1.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

There's also the fact that some of us are in a position to force the average Joe into using ReactOS because of budget problems.
TOTMS

Post by TOTMS »

FORCE wrote:No because default must be simple and fast, if someone wants use it then replace notepad.
Agreed, its a good program, but not really suitable for a total notepad replacement.
uriox

Post by uriox »

counting_pine wrote: Would you say the users on this forum are a good cross section of the people who will use ReactOS? Looking at the poll results, you'll notice the number of people who don't want notepad++ outweigh the number of people who do by about 3 to 1.
True. But my opinion is that the work on reactos notepad is just useless. All we're waiting for is kernel improvements and compatibility. If notepad++ works, no reason to develop something else. I fell it's just a waste of time.
You could argue that developers working on the kernel and those working on tools are not the same, but still their work would be better used to file bugs or other. This is not different from the situation Linux was confronted to in the 90s.
Well, whatever, I'm just an old whiner I guess... :wink:
nateklomp

Consider Notepad2.

Post by nateklomp »

I agree that ReactOS devs should be focusing on kernel and compatibility, rather than bundled-apps. IMHO, ReactOS and MS should spend less time on apps and more on the OS itself!

I'd recommend Notepad2, it's smaller, faster, more MS-like, user-friendly, and is also freeware (GNU license).

http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html
Pythagoras1

Post by Pythagoras1 »

i took a look at notepad++ and i must say that its user interface would require clean up before i would want it to be a replacement for a simple editor. of course i can imagine a professional tool as simple editor too, but it is difficult to bring both things under one hat, because usability itself is an own science.
charlieg

Re: Consider Notepad2.

Post by charlieg »

nateklomp wrote:I agree that ReactOS devs should be focusing on kernel and compatibility, rather than bundled-apps. IMHO, ReactOS and MS should spend less time on apps and more on the OS itself!

I'd recommend Notepad2, it's smaller, faster, more MS-like, user-friendly, and is also freeware (GNU license).

Possibly a better case than for Notepad++ due to it's simpler UI. Looks slightly lighter too.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Mrkaras wrote:I voted No, way too complex for a default notepad replacement. It does look good in its own right and I might even start using it but way too complex for people that can bearly operate notepad.
i disagree, when you open it it defaults to a MS notepad style of operation, only after you change settings will it do this other stuff. besides, it has line numbering.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
Floyd

Re: Consider Notepad2.

Post by Floyd »

charlieg wrote:
nateklomp wrote:I agree that ReactOS devs should be focusing on kernel and compatibility, rather than bundled-apps. IMHO, ReactOS and MS should spend less time on apps and more on the OS itself!

Possibly a better case than for Notepad++ due to it's simpler UI. Looks slightly lighter too.
it is simpler. and lighter, it's 250K as opposed to notepad++'s 800K

but so what? no one has 14.4s anymore.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

kristian wrote:
Elledan wrote:Sometimes you don't need features, but literally just a 'notepad' for editing/viewing basic text files and keeping notes.
Elledan is so right! The name "Notepad" suggests that this is a program for taking notes. :wink:

I think it's important to remember that not everyone is a programmer with the need for syntax highlightning, regular expressions, and brace and indent highlightning. Note that Notepad++ is a source code editor according to Wikipedia, not a program for simple, basic note-taking.

I suggest that the standard notepad should be kept simple. Those who needs a lot of features can install this program.
wikipedia has more articles over thundercats and anime than science. it's not exactly the oracle of correctitude or factinistas (but it is a great starting point)
Ratteler

Post by Ratteler »

uriox wrote:The problem with Reactos is the target audience. Most people here seem to think that first target will be the average Joe. I'm sorry guys, but this won't happen, no chance a guy like this is going to even think about installing a new OS... :(
No... but an OEM might very well install it for them. If RoS can survive the inevitable legal terror attacks of MS after they have a 1.0 Distro availble, you might very well see the Gateway's and Dell's of the world ditch MS in favor of RoS.

Vista looks like it's still going to be mostly a 32bit OS. The 64 Bit version will still not run 32Bit applications as fast as the 32 Bit version, if at all.

With no real Windows 64 bit application, RoS might very well provide the much needed competetion to MS.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Ratteler wrote:
No... but an OEM might very well install it for them. If RoS can survive the inevitable legal terror attacks of MS after they have a 1.0 Distro availble, you might very well see the Gateway's and Dell's of the world ditch MS in favor of RoS.

Vista looks like it's still going to be mostly a 32bit OS. The 64 Bit version will still not run 32Bit applications as fast as the 32 Bit version, if at all.

With no real Windows 64 bit application, RoS might very well provide the much needed competetion to MS.
i disagree. OEMs will ship with windows because that's what people know. OEMs don't ship with anything other than windows because that's what the world essentially uses (i mean really, ~90% market share). the people that will be using reactOS for the foreseeable future are people who are savvy enough to want to try other OSes. after react gets a toehold then perhaps, OEMs and the more adventurous "common user" will venture to other operating systems.