The computer music community reaching out to ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

In my opinion ReactOS must not ask or force software companies to show their compatibility with ReactOS.......
Most probbly once they know their software works "bug freely" with ReactOS they will add ROS themselves ......
But this is my opinion /......
forart

Post by forart »

Hunkadoodledoo wrote:Well, I am all for third party software ROS support, but pardon my ignorance in that I thought ROS is aiming for 100% compatibility with Windows software (i.e. no porting from Win to ROS). Am I wrong?
You misunderstood me. I mean that 3rd party software companies should help the development *of ReactOS* to make it compatible with their software ...

Anyway the point is spread the voice not just between open source devs, but companies too. Many of them are tired of MicroSoft politics... :mrgreen:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
dcuny

Post by dcuny »

Hopefully all software makers have automated regression testing available. I doubt that any of the larger companies would initially be interested in working with ReactOS (since it would represent a very, very small percentage of their market vs. the cost of testing.

However, a smaller developer might be interested in testing on ReactOS (assuming that ReactOS is already stable at that point) if enough of their customers showed interest in running on the platform - assuming that enough of their customers would be interested in running it.

The value (for ReactOS) would be that missing APIs could more quickly be identified. Of course, if the programming team didn't have time to fix these issues, there wouldn't be much point in providing that information.

The best of all worlds would be for a small developer who is exercising the sound API would at some point work with the ReactOS team to identify issues. Of course, since ReactOS is capable of identifying stubs and missing APIs, it's not stricitly necessary. But having any vendor run their test suite and certify that ReactOS would work with their product would be a good thing in relieving customer anxiety.

Given that this is sort of a chicken-or-egg thing, I suspect that it's not likely to play out that way. More likely, users will test particular applications themselves, and identify deficiencies to the ReactOS coders. Again, there's little point in doing that until ReactOS stabilizes, and someone capable of supporting the audio/midi API is available. :?
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi sweetjesus
it is cool u like ReactOS, and sorry I have not replay before I have been extream bussing with DirectX support to ReactOS.

1. ReactOS only can use NT4 driver for audio card but not full support
for NT4 audio driver are not complete.

2. ReactOS have support for dsound, but missing some reg key for it

3. Some is working on getting windows 2000/xp/2003 audio driver model into ReactOS. It take alot of time writing a new kernel stack.

I have been working on kernel stack for DirectX for the graphic subsystem and it take alot of time getting a driver stack inplace
even see it start working. It take around 1 - 3 year lest getting
basic of new stack working more or less. then it take a while
getting it stable.

If u apps does not working in ReactOS please let us known I maybe take a look at it. But I can not promies when.
Chis

Post by Chis »

Only when ReactOS supports ASIO drivers will it be suitable for music applications. I'd expect WDM driver support will come before this.

I'm looking forward to the day I can ditch Windows 2000 and run Ableton on ReactOS!
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi I known lite about ASIO drivers how the works thanks to kx project there great drv for sb. But ASIO using WDM to acceess the hardware.

as I told some one is already working on WDM audio drv model.
But it will take time getting it inplace
forart

Post by forart »

I think that other open source projects devs could contribute to ROS sound:

kX Project
OpenAL
VDMSound
PortAudio

Let's involve them !!! :wink:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
keytotime

Post by keytotime »

kx and portaudio are copyrighted.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

OpenAL and VDMsound are as well. As is ReactOS. So what?