What would you like to use ReactOS for?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Multimedia/Gamming
48%
Network Server(web/ftp/smb/dhcp/telnet/other...)
11%
Desktop/Office
32%
Other
10%

Total votes: 165

samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

Just your opinion...

The categories are preety self explanatory... Lets also consider what they mean in term of development requirements.

Multimedia/Gamming - This means we will need to support the latest video drivers, develop a sound architecture, direct x clone(this includes direct draw and friends, direct input and supporting joystick drivers :D )

Network Server - Most of these utilities are already under development and 0.4 roadmaps indicates that reactOS will be ready to asume such a roll.

Desktop/Office - OpenOffice already runs(it would be nice to get Microsoft Office to work), Printing support, Network Shares, email clients and the regular assortment of office apps.

Other - I was tempted to add a "I want it all!" option, but that would defeat the purpose... (everybody wants it all :wink: ) Select this option only if you want reactos for some other purpose... that i couldnt think off...
tomleem

All of the above?

Post by tomleem »

How about a choice of 'all of the above'? In case one plans to do a little of each? :?:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

When ReactOS is finally in a useable state, I would use it mainly as a replacement for Windows (Obviously). That would include Web Browsing, college assignments, IRC, etc., and occasionally a game or two. I would also use it simply to mess with, as I do with Windows (And as a result have to reinstall it about every 3 days. No kidding.). Simply, I want ReactOS to be a complete, 100% replacement for Windows and Microsoft's retarded licensing policies, just as it is planned to be. :D
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Ok where do terminal services servers fit in that.

Also where do clients working as clients that intergrate into a cluster as well.
Double mode here normal client stuff plus clustering.

Ie super computer in Office.

Fields a little narror for me and I am not exacty a other either.
samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

supercomputers?? heh...

proyects like distributed.net, folding@home, seti@home, where single nodes help out to do some big calculations... regular windows apps that, if they dont already run, they will soon do so.

is that what you mean by clusters?

"super computer in Office" have yet to see that... lol
maybe i just lack field experience
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

server stuff (my ftp, web and game server) and desktop stuff (gaming, frontpage and dinking around with some minor graphics).
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Diablo II is actually the only reason why i still boot Windows from time to time. That's why I chose Multimedia/Games
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Well I would use it for developing reactos.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

Mostly boring text processing and programming, with audio/video playback thrown in as well. If I want to play a game I'll fire up the ol' SNES emulator or play on a game console.

Stability is my prime concern. I want to be able to keep my workstation online for months, even years if necessary.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/ Like super computer.

Any applications with threads can be feed into the clients. Need a big amount of processor power for some reason just use all the computers in the office that no one is sitting at. Ie Screensaver or logout joins client to cluster. Leave Screensaver or login in most cases disconnects from cluster.

Linux sections all ready have this. Currently I do sometimes do this all users really know is that I have locked the screensaver settings. So I can colinux mosix cluster them up. Not the most effective methord.

I would say lack of field and lack of need. Also the on windows is blender rendering. Same methord. Screensaver hack.

Ok I would prefer to do this without hacking stuff to get it to work. And the advanage that you and pipe any application into it that runs multi threads.

If possiable Windows and Linux applications without colinux in mix. Posix compad would be good enough. Ok I would have to rebuild some apps but I can live with that.

Some cases just night run on the desktops stoped the need for bigger server to process stuff.
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

/Gamming
It's spelled like this=> Gaming.!

There's no option for missle guidence system..??! That's what i would really like to do with it... :lol:
atarixle

Post by atarixle »

I want to use it as a Windows-Replacement:

Desktop, Internetbrowsing, MP3(-Server), Video(-Server)..., my favorite Racing Games: nfs 1-9 (plus some other)..., and PuTTY has to run to connect to my command-line-linux (or BSD).
samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

Orbital weapons platform control system....

mwahahahaha
Disstress

Post by Disstress »

Matthias wrote:Diablo II is actually the only reason why i still boot Windows from time to time. That's why I chose Multimedia/Games
http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=diablo2 --ok now no reason to boot to Windows at all.

The only reason I would use it is to play video games. I hate Windows, but lets face it: WINE is awesome BUT it just doesn't deliver on a lot of different levels.
I play MMORPGs and if it doesn't have 6 million subscribers then it just won't have the support to get it up and running in WINE.

I totally understand, there are some more important things to get running in WINE. OSS doesn't make its money off of gamers it makes its money off of coporate support options.

Everything I need to run as far as business apps go, *nix+OSS has an alternative that suits my needs (OO.O, Anjuta, NVU/Screem, GIMP, Blender.) So I have a huge void in my computing: my video games. I WILL NOT install Windows on any computer that I own (my children's computers also do not have Windows, they run Ubuntu along with the GCompris Educational Suite-great for small children.)
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

@ Distress: I keep getting "connection interrupted" messages in Diablo II with WINE, which is why i don't use it.