Yet another design suggestion

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

L_X

Yet another design suggestion

Post by L_X »

Hi everyone,
I don't know anything about coding, but still would like to participate, I've made a visual style for WinXP recently, and I want you guys to check it out - maybe you'll find some ideas useful.
This style is actually a vista mod, and the only things that I did myself are buttons, window decoration and start button.

Here are the screenshots:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

You can download this visual style for XP here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/23910765/Rea ... e.zip.html

BTW, how about an OSX-like dock app for ReactOs. I think it is extremelly convinient. This can be a great answer to vista's sidebar. It will replace quick launch. Trey and system icons from desktop (My Computer, My Desktop) can be moved there too, thus making interface clearer and less crammed.
atarixle

Post by atarixle »

hmm, looks like a dimmed aero-basic style ... not really new
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

beautiful, but very 'vista like'
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

What toolbar are you using on the right side?
Go Huskers!
L_X

Post by L_X »

What toolbar are you using on the right side?(
It's Y'Z Dock - IMHO the best dock app for windows. Others have additional functions like taskbar/trey features, but this one is far better in terms of resources usage - it eats up so much less RAM compared to its counterparts that it's even funny. It's a shame that it never made it to 1.0 version (f**k Apple) :[/quote]
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Yet another, yet another...
Arg!!!!!
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

RKLauncher is very nice as well... google ;) :P
-graey-
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

Well that theme beats all hell out of the current one. If it is fully FOSS or whatever, we should include it now! Nice one! Also, please recommend a dock over here:

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 0024#20024

I haven't messed with any of them, and I'm not sure which dock is best.

rhY
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

Hey, L_X Can you modify that theme just a tiny bit to be more green/black/purplish instead of green/black/bluish? Would look really nice with this wallpaper, which I'm donating to ReactOS, if they want it.

http://www.leperkhanz.com/forum/gallery ... n.jpg.html
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

There is no way in the world that all the design suggestions and themes can be included with ReactOS. And then there's also that one little detail, which is that ReactOS doesn't even have theming support yet, and it is not planned for the forseeable future. Seriously, you could make up the nicest theme the world has ever seen, and it will not be included with ReactOS because it simply won't work.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Coviti wrote:There is no way in the world that all the design suggestions and themes can be included with ReactOS. And then there's also that one little detail, which is that ReactOS doesn't even have theming support yet, and it is not planned for the forseeable future. Seriously, you could make up the nicest theme the world has ever seen, and it will not be included with ReactOS because it simply won't work.
Okay here comes this arrogant ignorante question again...
Well have any of all these theme designers said anything about (Officially Including this into ReactOS?)
Exacly none of these designers have stated that, It's not the author asking if it would be included, it's all the other users.

Also we all know that ReactOS dosent have any capabilities of using these themes AT THE MOMENT
hence the AT THE MOMENT All designers know that, and why they publish their designs here IT'S BRAINSTORMS.
If we all would see everything in just black and white then ReactOS will come nowhere.

This is just suggestions, and if the ReactOS devs like em, and many of the users do like them.
Then maybe in the future ReactOS will make it's own variant of the (Luna Theme/ Modern Theme) based on these ideas.

Just have some faith, and stop seeing everything in Black and White.

The place there no ignorance exist, There is knowledge
crhylove

Post by crhylove »

Coviti:
ReactOS is in Alpha. That implies that eventually it will be in beta, and even farther down the road, it will even be a 1.0, or finished "product" that everyone can use easily.

Of course it isn't YET, but IT WILL BE. And planning ahead for that time (or even for the beta time, when some theme support might be worked on!), is a good idea.

We're not going to win hearts and minds by being an ugly knock-off of windows 95.

rhY
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

Pete,

Simply posting themes here is an implication that the author wishes for them to be included with ReactOS. Perhaps that wasn't the intent here, but it came across that way.
-----------------------------

crhylove,

I am well aware that theming support is planned for the future, but by that time these posts will be so old that it would take serious effort to search the forums and find them. That would probably be seen as a useless effort, so they (the developers) would most likely just say, "Oh, forget it" and make their own themes, and all the themes posted on the forums for the last few years would be wasted. Now, if the authors of these themes were to save them and release them when theming support is available, their work would be much more likely to be considered for use with ReactOS.

Think about it from a developer's perspective. Would you really search the entire forums for posted themes, when you could just simply make your own? I think it would be wiser to start showing off your themes when they can actually be used, rather than years before.
crhylove

Yes, but.

Post by crhylove »

Can't we use ONE of the themes now as a replacement for the default? You have to admit there is something fiendishly hiddeous about the current default. I vote for L_X's theme.

rhY
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

crhylove,

There default theme will not change. It doesn't matter how hideous you think it looks, other users (I for one) enjoy the simplicity of the Windows Classic style. It provides a way for new users to link ReactOS to Windows, and allows them to be more comfortable with it.

And, as I have already said, there is no way in the world that you can replace the default theme now. There is absolutely no support for themes, especially those as elaborate as this one. Unless you want to implement theming support in ReactOS, you can wait until it comes out, which will be a few years away.

All other users: Don't worry, there is no chance that any theme besides Windows Classic will be set as default (Unless we ever get our own Luna alternative). It just won't happen, and if there are themes available for ReactOS, I do not believe they will be included with ReactOS, but rather available by the Package Manager.