If you run ReactOS native, is it slow?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

.t.

If you run ReactOS native, is it slow?

Post by .t. »

I compile ReactOS trunk and 0.3 daily, but (when both work) they are really slow when running executables. Mouse movement becomes delayed, and it's if the CPU is on full load; but it can't be, unless there's a bug. However, it's not so slow running in Qemu. What's the problem? What config.rbuild options should I have? I have a pentium-m CPU, so that's the option I've set. Should it be different?
Davy

Post by Davy »

I too have noticed that discrepency, it seems ReactOS has become more of a VM operating system then an actual operating system... something has to be done about this because I'm eager to try it out on my box ASAP without the need of emulation lol
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

As long as it is in such a early state, it will hopefully stay this way. It is tested and bugtracked on a VM, because of nice features, like COM to Log-File etc and it allows you tons of other things you hardly can do with a 2nd PC. Why trying to run it on all possible PCs and risking its stability in the main Bugfixing Environment, a VM? It's alpha and is not meant to be used as a main OS. If you really want to try it, then use a VM.
keytotime

Post by keytotime »

.t. If you run ReactOS native it is very fast an responsive. What you need to beware of is the lack of USB keyboard/Mice support. Also like previously mentioned it is alpha software, so there will be bugs an major feature's missing. No sound/printer support or NTFS read/write support.
.t.

Post by .t. »

I get this behaviour while running mainly only driver install programs. Perhaps when driver support is better, this will be solved.
steveh

You should use qemu with kqemu accelerator

Post by steveh »

I don't run reactos natively anymre since several weeks, because the installation once crunched the primary partition table of the 2nd HDD. Other disadvantage: in alpha stage it's a bit difficult to include vendor drivers for real hardware (graphics + network card) into real installation.

Reactos comes with some native XGA/SVGA and NE2000 drivers for virtual hardware emulated by qemu.

qemu + kqemu give good or very good performance results for reactos, even on an older P4 (1500Mhz).
You would think it is running native on a P1 or P2.

But I found performance with Qemu alone, WITHOUT accelerator rather disappointing.

Not yet tested XEN (needs an extra trunk?)
or vmware (pay-ware).

In the early days (ros <= 0.2.3) i once tested reactos with Bochs (=terribly poor performance).
Matthias

Re: You should use qemu with kqemu accelerator

Post by Matthias »

steveh wrote:But I found performance with Qemu alone, WITHOUT accelerator rather disappointing.
That doesn't surprise me. That's because qemu without the accelerator module emulates the guest CPU instead of running the code natively as it does with the accelerator module. The point is that you can use qemu on, say, a PowerPC or SPARC machine, which doesn't wor with VMware or similar.
.t.

Post by .t. »

Well, that's not what I meant. I meant driver support, not hardware support. That means the drivers I install are supported by the OS, rather like poorly supported applications.