Basic development

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Indigno

Basic development

Post by Indigno »

I'm too new to C++ and C to really do anything there, but I'm pretty good in Visual basic, liberty basic, dark basic and the like. I was wondering if ReactOS supports programs written in those languages. If so, then I could write a few programs for it, like some of the programs that usually come with wondows but not distributed otherwise, basic stuff like some games, or a calculator. Just a suggestion.
GaeTaN

Re: Basic development

Post by GaeTaN »

Indigno wrote:I'm too new to C++ and C to really do anything there, but I'm pretty good in Visual basic, liberty basic, dark basic and the like. I was wondering if ReactOS supports programs written in those languages.
Why wouldn't Ros supports those programs ?
If it doesn't it will one day ;)
Well, for Darkbasic, I hope it won't in fact :lol:
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Visual basic: Yes. Some bugs.
Liberty basic: My old favorite! I think. Not sure.
Dark Basic: Comon, give the ros team a break. Its not all that good, has 3d collision problems, and is hard to activate, and its freaking 3d. Did i mention its 3d?(It pissed me off so much i actually cracked it using ROSASM and a hex editor.)

since Dark Basic uses 3d at all times, everything drawn is drawn using a technique of 2d that can be done in 3d. DirectX and OpenGL are two programs that might be a while.

Try rapidq, there already showing some nice usage, infact too recently to be coincidence. However, there are two rapidqs, and the one i find is wrong so dont go looking yet.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

GaeTaN wrote:
Indigno wrote:I'm too new to C++ and C to really do anything there, but I'm pretty good in Visual basic, liberty basic, dark basic and the like. I was wondering if ReactOS supports programs written in those languages.
Why wouldn't Ros supports those programs ?
If it doesn't it will one day ;)
Well, for Darkbasic, I hope it won't in fact :lol:
Well, there is two different things talked about here I think. ReactOS will only support C, C++ and assembler in the tree, this is because there will be too much mess to mix other languages in there, so if you want to help in the development of ReactOS you will have to do it in one of these languages.
If we are takling about programms that is going to be possible to run within ReactOS there will be possible to run all that windows runs. This software can not be a part of the ReactOS code tree but has to be inserted through the package manager or usual installation.
Indigno

Post by Indigno »

I'm talking about programs that will run on reactos, not part of the actual source. I was thinking more along the lines of basic applications that come with the distrobution like paint, calculator, some games, etc...
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Jaix wrote:Well, there is two different things talked about here I think. ReactOS will only support C, C++ and assembler in the tree, this is because there will be too much mess to mix other languages in there, so if you want to help in the development of ReactOS you will have to do it in one of these languages.
I was just wondering, what would be so messy about having programs written in multiple languages for example in ROSapps?
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

Matthias wrote:I was just wondering, what would be so messy about having programs written in multiple languages for example in ROSapps?
RosApps can be build with rbuild. Apps and driver written in C or C++ are fine, all other programming languages would requiere additional dependences. Furthermore developer would need to learn additional programming languages to check/work with that code.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

frik85 wrote:RosApps can be build with rbuild. Apps and driver written in C or C++ are fine, all other programming languages would requiere additional dependences. Furthermore developer would need to learn additional programming languages to check/work with that code.
And this is why the package manager is so very nice, everyone can create stuff that can be linked to it no matter the language used to create the binaries in this way we can easily create nice and fast set-up for a computer, just select to download and install.