Open the forum in a fullpage not in a frame!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lucio Diaz

Open the forum in a fullpage not in a frame!

Post by Lucio Diaz »

It is very anoying to use the forum inside the frame, and not everybody have to know that they can access the forum via http://reactos.com/forum/

So my petition, make the forum open in a new page,

a very simple javascript:
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
function abrir(tutor){
window.open( forum, "","fullscreen=no, scrollbars=yes")}
//-->
</script>

And the following html expresion:
<a href="javascript:abrir('http://reactos.com/forum/')">Forums</a>

Can manage it.
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

Couldn't they just make the link go to the forum, instead of opening in a frame?
Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz »

Of course, that way is easier, opening the forum in a whole page, but the way i suggest will keep also open the reactos.com site.

Still, i think, for usability, the forum have to open in a full webpage.

Post by Guest »

make it a normal link. no new window, no javascript, no frame.

some people like to open things in a new window (or tab).
others want to open it in the current window/tab, replacing the site.
those who have no clue (or don't care) can still use the Back Button, or a link at the top*, to return to the main site.

*you have one, right? oh.. tsk tsk

with a normal link, everyone can do it the way they like, in a trivial way, using browser's features.
various hacks (frames, target, javascript) to make it work in any particular way are Very Annoying. drop them.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

I'm always opening stuff in new windows which breaks out of the frame pretty quickly. If it were me I would definatly just link directly to the forum and avoid the frame. I would also place the ReactOS site header and some links back to the main page as the header on the forum pages.
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

SomeGuy wrote: I would also place the ReactOS site header and some links back to the main page as the header on the forum pages.
yep. That would make life easier.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

A problem with your script, Firefox and others like it will block that as a popup probably.

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

uniQ wrote:A problem with your script, Firefox and others like it will block that as a popup probably.
AFAIK, Firefox will not stop popups that are triggered by clicking somewhere... not sure though.

But also, javascript isn't really necessary I think...
I think target="_blank" in the link is enough to open in a new page.
Len

Post by Len »

The frame thing is terrible, luckily an option "open frame in new window" exists in FireFox and Safari :). I think the whole site could use a little update, the news items are also out of order.

You can make a php based system based on this phpBBoard without too much effort, allowing you to post news in a hidden forum witch is linked to the frontpage or so, like this one.
Get some phpBB additions at http://www.phpbbhacks.com/.

Maybe something for the future, ReactOS gets more attention each new version, and an easy readable and maintainable site is a must then. Now I just check these forums, that's enough for me.