Summer of Code 2006

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

aeridus

Post by aeridus »

Well, I submitted my application; is ReactOS limited to a certain number of people? I would love to be able to contribute and gain official work experience at the same time, I do hope I get in.
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

aeridus wrote:Well, I submitted my application; is ReactOS limited to a certain number of people? I would love to be able to contribute and gain official work experience at the same time, I do hope I get in.
As far as I know, potentially everybody could sign up to code for ReactOS, but realistically, the only limit is how many people sign up for your project.
aeridus

Post by aeridus »

Ah, cool. :) I got the impression from Google's stats of last year that there were roughly 10 people per open source project, but I'm sure ReactOS appreciates all the help it can get. ;)

I'm hoping to help improve the looks and maybe figure out the graphics acceleration. I don't have a whole lot of experience with really advanced code but I'm great at analyzing a piece of code and optimizing the heck out of it. ;) Also, I've created a lot of graphical programs and I'm an artist on the side, so I'm sure all my skills will come in handy. :)

Also, I am not sure how polished the application has to be; I have never written a proper proposal before. I listed my general skills and the areas of ReactOS that I would like to work on, but should I talk with one of the ReactOS people directly to make it look nicer for Google to see? If so, who should I contact? I'm not sure which developer is most involved with the graphics part of ReactOS.
Alkali

Post by Alkali »

I'm not sure which developer is most involved with the graphics part of ReactOS.
Most likely ged.
aeridus

Post by aeridus »

Thanks!
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

aeridus wrote:Also, I am not sure how polished the application has to be; I have never written a proper proposal before. I listed my general skills and the areas of ReactOS that I would like to work on.
I added 2 useful links to the buttom of our wiki page.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
cuppm

Post by cuppm »

Is there any update on this? The Google SOC site says they are posting the accepted applications on the 23rd, but it's now the 25th and no update there.
-I-

Post by -I- »

can anyone explain me why people want support for NTFS witch is a real PITA because its based on reverse-engenearing, and has no complete documentation.

there are several good replacements that in the sametime also will be directly usable by unix (ext v3 and ReiserFS v4) so please for gods sake use those,

also (but i know ill get slapped for this by diehard gamers) wouldn't it be better to go for OpenGL all the way first.

a third Q - what about .NET interfaces, would it be a good idea to get MONO project intergrated

about management tools, instead of winscript would there be good alternatives. a basic binairy version of #perl maybe
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

-I- wrote:can anyone explain me why people want support for NTFS witch is a real PITA because its based on reverse-engenearing, and has no complete documentation.

there are several good replacements that in the sametime also will be directly usable by unix (ext v3 and ReiserFS v4) so please for gods sake use those,

also (but i know ill get slapped for this by diehard gamers) wouldn't it be better to go for OpenGL all the way first.

a third Q - what about .NET interfaces, would it be a good idea to get MONO project intergrated

about management tools, instead of winscript would there be good alternatives. a basic binairy version of #perl maybe
There is a somewhat lengthy discussion about NTFS in the ZFS thread (go figure):
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Basically, the pros boil down to the fact that there's going to be a lot of migratory users when ReactOS hits 1.0 and many of them (including myself) are going to have harddrives that are formated in NTFS. And know I definitely won't want to have to bother to reformat all of my drives, so therein lies the strengths for an NTFS driver. Others like EXT3, ReiserFS 4, and hopefully ZFS will most likely make their way into ReactOS sooner or later.

And MONO and OpenGL are coming along, but remember, they still have .7 version numbers to get them complete, and as far as I know, they aren't specifically tied to any version number so far in the roadmap.
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

Some assignments can now be found at the google SoC page!

Clipboard Server API Implementation
by Pablo Borobia, mentored by Alex Ionescu

Remote Desktop client application & ActiveX control
by Michele Cicciotti, mentored by Alex Ionescu

ReactOS Print Spooler Service (Spoolsv)
by Peter Windridge, mentored by Alex Ionescu

Login System
by Justin Haygood, mentored by Thomas Weidenmueller

Clipboard Server API Implementation
by Pablo Borobia, mentored by Thomas Weidenmueller
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Summer of Code FAQ wrote:Google will provide a stipend of 5000 USD per student developer, of which 4500 USD goes to the accepted student applicant and 500 USD to the mentoring organization upon successful completion of a project.
So if those 5 projects are completed, what will reactos do with the 2500$ it will recieve as a mentoring organization? :P
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

cmoibenlepro wrote:
Summer of Code FAQ wrote:Google will provide a stipend of 5000 USD per student developer, of which 4500 USD goes to the accepted student applicant and 500 USD to the mentoring organization upon successful completion of a project.
So if those 5 projects are completed, what will reactos do with the 2500$ it will recieve as a mentoring organization? :P
I think it is 4, just one looks doubled up to me.
Joao M

Post by Joao M »

Phalanx wrote:
cmoibenlepro wrote:
I think it is 4, just one looks doubled up to me.
The Clipboard Server API appears twice.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

:oops:

So clipboard, once completed, will give 1000$ to the project? nice! :wink:
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

Apparently, Google REALLY REALLY wants that clipboard. :P