BootCD vs LiveCD Image Size

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jason.b.c

BootCD vs LiveCD Image Size

Post by jason.b.c »

Ok after a little mishap i had to redownload reactos live 0.2.9.. Somehow it got deleted..when i was trying to re-burn it to a disk..( cd-rw )

Anyway after i got it i decided to archive it and the installer image that i've got, For safe(er) keeping..

I use 7-Zip to unzip everything i get and it also dosen't delete the original afterwards.

So i did that, I unzipped both into a folder i created and saved the zipped ones somewhere else ( so i now have two of the same thing ) But i couldn't help but notice something about the two images.

The installer is like only 16.2 mb's but the live one is 50.1 mb's .. Why ..??

Why is the live one so much bigger and the one that actually installs to a hard drive is so small.?? How can it install anything..??

Could someone please explain this one to me..?? I'm confused .

:roll:
Pete

Re: Whats up with this.???? I don't git'it..!

Post by Pete »

jason.b.c wrote:
The installer is like only 16.2 mb's but the live one is 50.1 mb's .. Why ..??
Why is the live one so much bigger and the one that actually installs to a hard drive is so small.?? How can it install anything..??

:roll:
The reason why the LiveCD is bigger than the Installtion CD is because the LiveCD is a preinstalled OS, the Installer can compress files and make it behave like a Compressing utillity such as WinRar,WinZIP,7z etc.
Installer does also most of the time generate needed information etc.
Which leads to that the Installer can actually be smaller than the OS.

Shortly, the LiveCD is bigger because it's a preinstalled OS
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

Installer does also most of the time generate needed information etc.

So then the installer "makes what it needs" when your installing on a hard drive ( or whatever )..???

Some kind of "build" command.??
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

No, More it "populates" certain areas, such as the registry.

Fills it in with certain goodies about your system and the like.

the liveCD has a "pre-populated" but more "generic" registry. Since it is prepopulated, it is much larger than the installer CD.

Mostly, it is the compression scheme being employed. Since the files are compressed, they take up less space.

You should compare the "FULLY INSTALLED" ROS directory against the size of the LiveCD, and not the "InstallCD" against the "LiveCD".

Comparison:

A windows XP installation can be well over 1GB in size, but the install CD only holds 650mb - 700 mb.

How big do you think a fully blown windows XP liveCD would be? (Better make it a DVD image, Kids!)
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

How big do you think a fully blown windows XP liveCD would be? (Better make it a DVD image, Kids!)

AHH, I see what you mean now, So then the info in the install image, even though i've already de-compressed it, still has compressed files in it..

I think i understand now, Hey!, Who changed the name of my thread.?? :roll:
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

jason.b.c wrote:I think i understand now, Hey!, Who changed the name of my thread.?? :roll:
I believe that would be Jaix, the Moderator.
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

Coviti wrote:
jason.b.c wrote:I think i understand now, Hey!, Who changed the name of my thread.?? :roll:
I believe that would be Jaix, the Moderator.
Thats cool.. :D
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

jason.b.c wrote:Hey!, Who changed the name of my thread?
I altered the thread title, because it was ... "confusing" ... and has nothing todo with the question per se.
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

frik85 wrote:
jason.b.c wrote:Hey!, Who changed the name of my thread?
I altered the thread title, because it was ... "confusing" ... and has nothing todo with the question per se.
Oh , I see what you mean.. :wink: