manual installation of ROS

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

loki1985

manual installation of ROS

Post by loki1985 »

sorry if this was already discussed....

yesterday i set up an old notebook, now dual-booting Ubuntu 5.10 and Win2K SP4. i made a new FAT32 partition, in the hope to install ROS there. the problem now is: boot managers.

i have grub installed, which automatically enabled the dual booting. my question is now: is it possible to install ROS manually to the FAT32 partition, by simply extracting the ISO contents to the drive from windows, and then manually adding freeloader to GRUB somehow?

thanks in advance,

---loki
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

Please read the following Wiki page:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... _from_GRUB

For more information use the Wiki and/or Forum search function.
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

i already tried to do as described in the wiki, the problem is the manual installation of FreeLoader. i manualy made a freeldr.ini, and copied freeldr.sys to D:\ (the fat drive, as seen from windows).

the problem: it seems that GRUB cannot read the partition.... and this is where i am stuck....

btw: is this correct so far, or must freeldr.sys be in the linux file system?
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

ok, seems there is no point in what i am doing.

then i need to ask the other way round: how can i install ROS without overwriting my current boot setting? since i don't want to risk loosing that config....
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

loki1985 wrote:ok, seems there is no point in what i am doing.

then i need to ask the other way round: how can i install ROS without overwriting my current boot setting? since i don't want to risk loosing that config....
One the last setup screen of the text mode setup, you have the option to choose if you want the FreeLoader (hdd or drive a) or not.
steveh

Why not first-time call "setupldr.sys" via grub?

Post by steveh »

If you plan to start reactos from grub by:

title ReactOS
root (hd0,0)
kernel /freeldr.sys

then i suggest that you should also add to the grub menu the following selection:

title ReactOSfirsttime
root (hd0,0)
kernel /setupldr.sys

Wouldn't that grub selection do the same first-time installing work as the reactos boot CD normally does?
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

ok, i somewhat succeeded.... grub succeeds in loading FreeLoader.
booting the setup from the setup CD from harddisk works, but it freezes while initialising.....

then i copied the content of the qemu-image of version 0.2.9 to D:\ using the vdk driver tool.

this works, at least until the graphical boot screen is shown, then ROS freezes....

system is an IBM ThinkPad T23....

what do you folks think, is it cause the files from the qemu image are not good for my installation, so i should retry with burning CD etc, or is this a general ROS problem.... ?
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

If ROS locks during the graphical boot screen, try reinstalling it, and select the VGA driver instead of VESA.
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

ok, after fixing the loaders debug entry, it seems the problem is the floppy driver. it gets to initialising the floppy driver, and then freezes....
this _could_ be because my notebook doesn't have a floppy drive.

is this a known problem?

(experienced with 0.2.9, maybe this is fixed already?)
GvG

Post by GvG »

Try deleting \reactos\system32\drivers\floppy.sys, if the driver isn't there it can't be loaded and therefore it can't hang during initialization
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

loki1985: Try the latest revision from http://svn.reactos.org/iso. If the problem isn't solved in the latest build available there, please let us know. As of the time of this post, the latest build is 21897, available here.
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

ok, big thanks for the ideas already, i cannot try now but will try tomorrow when back in office...

will report the results then....
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

ok, here is the result: deleting floppy.sys worked perfectly, now the system boots up and runs... :)

next i will try if this problem still exists with the current SVN, this could take some time....

/EDIT: OK, tried with ISO from today, and the problem still exists.... added the whole thing to bugzilla, bug 1508...