I think...

it looks great!
85%
it looks like crap.
15%

Total votes: 47

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Sorry, but I do not really like the colours on the buttons. It does not match the borders, is hard to read and is out of place.
Viator

Post by Viator »

It originally was one shade of grey but i thought it would look nice if the highlited tab and the pane were a lighter shade of grey i could have just used a little shading and kept them near identical instead of using two dirrent shades but i kind of liked the result after i had changed this. This is Foss the code can be made to work with any mockups people design but sometimes that means a little more work. ReactOS will function like and look like windows but it should and hopefully will have extra funtionality. Being able to change the colors of more parts of the ui seems like a nice thing to add to me. Alot of times its not about what it WILL look like but what YOU think looks best thats why we see alot of differing designs. I think thats one of the great things about Foss :)
Peter

Post by Peter »

As you are inviting opinions, here is mine.

For the sake of ReactOS (and me), I beg you not to make this the default theme, or at least make the classic look an option.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

Peter wrote:As you are inviting opinions, here is mine.

For the sake of ReactOS (and me), I beg you not to make this the default theme, or at least make the classic look an option.
Although I do like this look, I would agree that the clasic theme should at least be an option.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Viator wrote:It originally was one shade of grey but i thought it would look nice if the highlited tab and the pane were a lighter shade of grey i could have just used a little shading and kept them near identical instead of using two dirrent shades but i kind of liked the result after i had changed this. This is Foss the code can be made to work with any mockups people design but sometimes that means a little more work. ReactOS will function like and look like windows but it should and hopefully will have extra funtionality. Being able to change the colors of more parts of the ui seems like a nice thing to add to me. Alot of times its not about what it WILL look like but what YOU think looks best thats why we see alot of differing designs. I think thats one of the great things about Foss :)
Let me give you reasons instead of just saying FOSS and FOSS and FOSS, over and over and over. Firstly, it is not common through all your work. For example, the sheets, frames, forms, and many other objects do not follow what you have done (you have not even changed all of the same objects, like not all of the buttons have been done). Secondly, you have destroyed the height perspective by doing so, which with the borders you have, causes some people pain to look at (this is something all themes should not be doing, esp if they want to be anything near a default theme or included). Thirdly, you have edited the font, which is drawn above, and that is not correct. Forty, you have made it harder to read the fonts, which simply makes, it a bad thing to do. Themes are to make it easier to present data, that is their main role.
Viator

Post by Viator »

You come off as an asshole. I am NOT a professional graphic artist never prentended to be one. I drew that myself thats why the height perspective is off .I did it for fun i made it they way -I- Think looks good. Lets see here if you have somthihng in the foregrond ie the the themes tab you see there or as you are calling it "button" it is LIGHTER if you have somthing in the background it is DARKER ie the other tabs.. Do you think reactos will come with MSFONTS installed? I DONT THINK SO. yeah the font isnt nice but its better than NONE
The borders are the same as the ms version as far as i can see compare them.

Themes are made to change the look and feel of the ui to ANYTHING the user feels forms and functions they way THEY LIKE!

I remember when linux bboards and irc channels had people like this spouting RTFM etc etc. Your rudeness is a discredit to the reactos community.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Microsoft once released a set of fonts commonly known as "Microsoft TrueType Core Fonts" for free. They are shipped with various Linux distributions, so i can't think of any reason why ReactOS shouldn't be shipped with those fonts :)
Check out this:
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/
Viator

Post by Viator »

i thhought you could download them but not DISTRIBUTE them ie have them come with your distro or os. I guess its a legal grey area? most distros seemed to not come with theminstalled by default but they had them in their repositorys for downloading.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Viator wrote:You come off as an asshole. I am NOT a professional graphic artist never prentended to be one. I drew that myself thats why the height perspective is off .I did it for fun i made it they way -I- Think looks good. Lets see here if you have somthihng in the foregrond ie the the themes tab you see there or as you are calling it "button" it is LIGHTER if you have somthing in the background it is DARKER ie the other tabs.. Do you think reactos will come with MSFONTS installed? I DONT THINK SO. yeah the font isnt nice but its better than NONE
The borders are the same as the ms version as far as i can see compare them.

Themes are made to change the look and feel of the ui to ANYTHING the user feels forms and functions they way THEY LIKE!

I remember when linux bboards and irc channels had people like this spouting RTFM etc etc. Your rudeness is a discredit to the reactos community.
For someone who just turned up and starts imposing something should be changed to how they like it, that is rude. I gave reasons to fix things, you have just used covers, emotion and discredits. Please start doing things by reason, esp if you want to make it a default. Instead of just insulting people. I never mentioned anything personal, but you just have gone strait to it, and I will not.
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

:roll: Okay, guys, enough of this nonsense. Ideas are ideas, and opinions are opinions, and neither of you are likely to change those of the other person. I can see some nasty stuff coming up if this continues, so I suggest you try to keep it civil.

Please don't feel offended, but I recommend this site to a lot of people:
http://onlinenetiquette.com/netiquette_101.html

As this site emphasizes, hiding behind your computer screen and throwing out comments that you would never say to the other person's face makes you come across as a jerk.

Please don't take offense, I just hate it when arguments break out over some of the most trivial matters.
Viator

Post by Viator »

I didnt "just show up here" ive been a member for a few years now just not posting alot (wonder why :( ) I was showing folks somthing that i made that i thought looked nice i never suggested that it be DEFAUlT or used AT ALL in ros. I never said that developers or ANYONE must do ANYTHING. If you call stating an opinion "imposing" then everyone here is guilty of that.I donot care if you dislike what ive made i dont care if you give your opinion or SUGGESTIONS how to fix it. I do think however you were using a condescending demeaning and or mocking manor in your post.(not constructive criticism) If that is/was not the case then ill let it go

So back to topic....i would like to see your ideas/rendering of what you think would be nice what kind of theme do you prefer etc.
billyswong

Post by billyswong »

What are suggested in pg.2 are going TOO FAR. I think the original idea of this thread is a "classic twist" but those "crystal" themes don't look classic. They don't look crystal either. They don't even look shiny...
Viator

Post by Viator »

you are right it isnt meant to have the total glass look or be shiny all over
i saw what the original poster had posted and it gave me an idea of what
-I- myself would personally like. believe me NONE of this stuff will EVER make it into production. I think thats why alot of people get so hot headed around here they think that because someone posts an idea, comment or opinion on how somting should look or function that somehow it might end up into reactos. I think the developers have a strong sense of what they want and DO NOT want included. So have no fear strange funkylooking or outlandish items wont end up in ros :)
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Viator wrote:I think thats why alot of people get so hot headed around here they think that because someone posts an idea, comment or opinion on how somting should look or function that somehow it might end up into reactos. I think the developers have a strong sense of what they want and DO NOT want included. So have no fear strange funkylooking or outlandish items wont end up in ros :)
Are you serious? Not everything posted in the forum will be added to reactos?

Does it also means that this great animation will most probably be rejected?
[ external image ]

Damned! :evil:
Blazkowicz

Post by Blazkowicz »

billyswong wrote:What are suggested in pg.2 are going TOO FAR. I think the original idea of this thread is a "classic twist" but those "crystal" themes don't look classic. They don't look crystal either. They don't even look shiny...
it still looks classic to me while being different. I just can't give up classic for something else right now, but this kind of change I welcome.

Phalanx wrote: Thirdly, you have edited the font, which is drawn above, and that is not correct.
I'll nitpick a bit : under Windows you can change the font for the title bar ;)