XP look-alike interface?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Would you like to "keep with the times" by implementing an XP-style interface for ReactOS?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 211

Viator

Post by Viator »

The 2 things i loathe most about windows is the over use of the desktop.
You see these pppl with 500 shortcuts to applications they dont even use
maybe they use one or two, and a bunch of install files which are leftover from things they downloaded. And the other is cluttered start menus with a million things on there when you only need a few. I think the use of the taskbar should be promoted more. All frequently used shortcuts should be there. The quicklanuch should be where they go. Destop should be only used for open running applications. The use of desklets should be promoted as well. Sorry just annoys me..... so no i dont want an xp like interface especially not as default. Simple Clean Fast Thats what ReactOS should be.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Like this?

[ external image ]

I like XP's desktop with a smidgeon of IceWM and KDE element added to it.
Go Huskers!
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

No, like this:
[ external image ]
Found that on Google images -- it's not my computer!
Switchboy

Post by Switchboy »

Viator wrote:The 2 things i loathe most about windows is the over use of the desktop.
You see these pppl with 500 shortcuts to applications they dont even use
maybe they use one or two, and a bunch of install files which are leftover from things they downloaded. And the other is cluttered start menus with a million things on there when you only need a few. I think the use of the taskbar should be promoted more. All frequently used shortcuts should be there. The quicklanuch should be where they go. Destop should be only used for open running applications. The use of desklets should be promoted as well. Sorry just annoys me..... so no i dont want an xp like interface especially not as default. Simple Clean Fast Thats what ReactOS should be.
I like my Desktop and program folder the way it is: a real mess. It's like my room: I can find everything I need as long as nobody else touches it. Everything I need is just one click (or two show desktop) away from being used. And when you look at my desktop closely there is some logic in it. (web)browsing tools, make stuff tools (Photoshop, 3d max and office) and games all centered. And the top of the desktop just for programs you just downloaden en need fast or alot.
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

The desktop is very useful for organizing files. I use it until I have about three rows of icons, then clean it up. It's very useful for keeping things handy.
Setjhaba

Post by Setjhaba »

Although I voted "yes", I think the color scheme should be a little more professional. In fact: I like the XP-GUI but I don´t like those "kindergarten-colors". Discreet dark colors would be nice. I think, as many users said before me, themeability would be nice. The requested GUIs span from 3.11 over 2000 to Vista (and let´s not forget KDE). There will never be a solution, all users would be happy with. So I think with being themeable, everyone can create a desired style...
Viator

Post by Viator »

nah this is what im refering to.
http://davidcramer.net/gallery.php?do=image&id=10

and this

http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/art/69/lh5048_03.jpg

What will the "startmenu" be called in reactos will it still be startmenu?
Im interested in seeing more mockups of a more "classic" feeling startmenu
or maybe an xp one
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

Now that is getting ridiculous! I counted 204 Desktop icons, 45 toolbar icons on the taskbar, and 18 tray icons! What the heck?!
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

i want themeability but i don't want that god-aweful luna theme.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
usotsuki

Post by usotsuki »

Setjhaba wrote:Although I voted "yes", I think the color scheme should be a little more professional. In fact: I like the XP-GUI but I don´t like those "kindergarten-colors". Discreet dark colors would be nice. I think, as many users said before me, themeability would be nice. The requested GUIs span from 3.11 over 2000 to Vista (and let´s not forget KDE). There will never be a solution, all users would be happy with. So I think with being themeable, everyone can create a desired style...
The times I do use dreXP I use Luna with metallic colors and different fonts.

-uso.
DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

good idea then it make it easer to use
.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

windows xp is looking proffesional. reactos dont.
simply.
maybe 0.4 (rewrite of explorer + themability + well designed reactos look and feel)
or 0.5
or 1.0 :)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Why are these old threads being revived?
calande

Post by calande »

Luna! Definitely :)
etko

Post by etko »

Z98 lock it or delete it. There is only one theme worth to support Windows XP theme Windows Classic.