Software for ReactOS

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

Disease

Software for ReactOS

Post by Disease »

Aside from development of an Operating System, is software for this Operating System also created? I mean...is the whole point building an Operating System that allows you to install your own software you download from the net, install from CD or write yourself, or is ReactOS supposed to have it's own browser, mediaplayer and such?

Because in that case I have plenty of unfinished projects I would love to finish. (a messenger, a browser, a mediaplayer, some basic games even)

-Disease
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but what would be the point in yet another Media Player, Messenger etc.? If the Developers want to include a media player etc, they'd probably use the media players which are around already, such as VLC or Media Player Classic etc., once all the needed APIs are in place. Perhaps you should consider to contribute for example to Miranda IM.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Package manager.

Post by Jaix »

Projects that are good and useful can be added to the package manager so it can be downloaded and installed from ROS directly, so if you finnish your projects and they are good there is a posibility to have them there.
Disease

Nah

Post by Disease »

Nah, it's not worth finishing (or starting) projects if they are nood specificly needed.

If somewhere in the development someone would go like...oh God, this is what we need but we don't have it yet...then I'm here.

Hmm...so it there anything that is needed? (now or in future releases)

-Disease
ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Matthias wrote:I'm not trying to offend anyone, but what would be the point in yet another Media Player, Messenger etc.? If the Developers want to include a media player etc, they'd probably use the media players which are around already, such as VLC or Media Player Classic etc., once all the needed APIs are in place. Perhaps you should consider to contribute for example to Miranda IM.
Writing a media player (like MPC, not VLC) wouldnt be to hard. They would just use the DirectShow API (once DirectX is implemented of course). I think for the large part things like this will probably be up to either the package manager or distributions.

That said, if i had to choose one to be shipped with ReactOS id pick MPC. While VLC is good it also requires a bit more know how to use and doesnt have the familiar look of MPC.
drwook

Re: Software for ReactOS

Post by drwook »

Disease wrote:Because in that case I have plenty of unfinished projects I would love to finish. (a messenger, a browser, a mediaplayer, some basic games even)
such as gaim, firefox, vlc, freeciv. etc etc ? Go contribute to some of these, or others, rather than recreate the wheel...
Matthias

Re: Package manager.

Post by Matthias »

Jaix wrote:Projects that are good and useful can be added to the package manager so it can be downloaded and installed from ROS directly, so if you finnish your projects and they are good there is a posibility to have them there.
That'd be a great idea - if there were a package manager.
@ Disease: would you want to work on a package manager like, say, debian's apt or something like that?
Disease

I would like..

Post by Disease »

I would if you give me a very specific desription of the package manager. I have had plenty of moments that I decided to add something of myself into software that people, or give it my personal 'look' and turned out to be exactly what they didn't want it to be or look like.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Package manager is precent.

Post by Jaix »

A package manager is already precent, but it seames to me like development has stalled, I'm sure some new resources would be great to boast development.

Read more here: http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/R ... ge_Manager
Disease

Disease

Post by Disease »

Well, it seems that most of the useful software is already included or suggested. So I guess that leaves me without work. :?
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: Disease

Post by Jaix »

Disease wrote:Well, it seems that most of the useful software is already included or suggested. So I guess that leaves me without work. :?
On the contrary, if you have opensource code and want to contribute it is welcome in one or another way. One thing that I would like is a C port of the TinyWeb server from ritlab, check it out if you would like a challenge! (Only 53KB big but is a really nice webserver. We would need a webserver in the trunk I think.
Disease

Post by Disease »

I have a fully functional (but more advanced) 'clone' of the windows calculator, do we need a calc.exe or is it already in ReactOS?
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

There is a calc in reactos/base/applications/calc in the svn. Its based of Wine calc.

If yours is better sure contact ROS developers. Depending on how locked it is to windows. You might even be able to get it into Winehq.

The Open Source way is competion.

Its very hard to find something that is not already started. The question Is the program you have better than the other one. Now a lot of the side projects here need a lot of work. Just because someone else started something does not mean you cannot complete it. Either way you get credit starting or completing a project.

Note lead developers have the right to define better different to you. Ie added some features and now its harder for a new user to understand.

Some cases it will be excepted because of the new features. Some times it will be rejected due to making it harder on new users. Until you ask and display to the lead developers what you have you will never know.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Check out the SVN!

Post by Jaix »

Disease wrote:I have a fully functional (but more advanced) 'clone' of the windows calculator, do we need a calc.exe or is it already in ReactOS?
I would recommend you to check out the SVN-trunk and examine what you can contribute with from what you find there.
Disease

Post by Disease »

Hmm. I'll do that.

I've always enjoyed 'completing' software, but writing it from scratch gives me more satisfaction I guess.