Cursor is too dinky looking...

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Do you think the cursor for ReactOS looks kinda dumb?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:38 am

Duh... of course!
30%
Nah
40%
What's the big deal?
30%

Total votes: 10

TOTMS

Post by TOTMS »

ged wrote:We moved away from a Windows style cursor due to worries of copyright infringement.
I was going to say that. We cant just copy the Windows arrow. The current ROS pointer is ok, could do with work or a way to change it, but again not by any means a high priority
RandomMe

Post by RandomMe »

Copyright on a............cursor ?! :shock:
TOTMS

Post by TOTMS »

RandomMe wrote:Copyright on a............cursor ?! :shock:
Maybe, or it could just fall under a general patent, I dont know, but I would sooner avoid the possibility of stepping on MS's toes.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

TOTMS wrote:Maybe, or it could just fall under a general patent.
You can't patent the look of a cursor.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Dominik wrote:[ external image ]
I think that the first cursor, looks better then the current one, but i don't want to piss off mf because of such a (IMHO) unimportained thing, so i will not commit it.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Dr. Fred wrote:
TOTMS wrote:Maybe, or it could just fall under a general patent.
You can't patent the look of a cursor.
Are you positive about that, or are you guessing?
Patent is the wrong word, but it could fall under copyright

We've had this discussion before and concluded as an image, there are rights to it, as there are with icons.
Thus, the cursor was replaced with the current design.

Recommiting the old design is contradicting the whole issue.
Matthias

Re: my two cents

Post by Matthias »

menn wrote:the default cursor is a really tacky place to put a logo, even one as cool as the ros logo. fun novelty, but not by default. also default cursor shouldnt be animated :| at least i really hope it won't be. funny, i didn't think it mattered until i read this thread.
I think the ReactOS logo cursor was meant to be the one indicating that the System is busy (like the sandglass cursor on Windows)
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

ged wrote:
Dr. Fred wrote:You can't patent the look of a cursor.
Are you positive about that, or are you guessing?
Patent is the wrong word, but it could fall under copyright.
Please have a look at the quote I answered to.
TOTMS wrote:Maybe [it falls under copyright], or it could just fall under a general patent.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

If you use an exact copy of it, sure they could ruffle your feathers but that is not going to happen. Xerox began the mouse cursor shaped like an arrow, not Microsoft, and there icon was a black arrow pointing straight up. Previously the first white arrow look for a mouse cursor was by Visicorp and it pointed directly to the top of the screen, too. Microsoft shamelessly copied cursors throughout the history of different Window-based GUI's, beginning by copying Apples's black cursor slanted slightly to the upper left highlighted by a slight white background. Lefthanded cursors were the norm at first and were copied by other popular Windowized GUIs from AmigaOS by Amiga, GEOS by Berkeley, GEM by DEC, etc.
Go Huskers!
menn

Re: my two cents

Post by menn »

Matthias wrote:I think the ReactOS logo cursor was meant to be the one indicating that the System is busy (like the sandglass cursor on Windows)
default mouse cursor
default (mouseover?) cursor
default hourglass cursor
default ? cursor
+ _________________________
default cursor theme

still not a great place to put a logo. anyway, it was the collection of defaults i was referring to. the ones that you will eventually see if you use the machine - without installing a non-default.
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

I think the default ReactOS cursor looks kinda retarded if you know what I mean; the "arrow" part of it is too big, and the other part is too short. Something needs to be done about it.
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

Once we have a fully Windows compatable and stable operating system, then we should worry about the cursor ;)
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Of course we cannot copy the Windows cursor, but I think it's fair use to create a new one very similar to the windows one. I think it should look alike, because some apps use their own cursors and those are in most cases similar to the windows default icons. I think it can look pretty stupid, if you use a special cursor set and sometimes a completely different cursor is shown.
Coviti

My design

Post by Coviti »

Here's my idea of a Windows-ish cursor. I didn't try to make an exact copy of the Windows cursor, just make it look similar to avoid copyright concerns.

http://www.savefile.com/files/9042950
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

A screenshot would be easier to understand. I never download cursor files since windows explorer can become violated by malformed ones.
Go Huskers!