Weekly Newsletter

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dark

Weekly Newsletter

Post by dark »

The last weekly newsletter on the front page is dated Feb. 10, 2006. I would say it's dead.
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

I guess it isn't weakly any more ;). I think it should be removed from the front page, a weekly newsletter whose last post is that old looks a bit "sloppy". Maybe it could make room for the last 10 topics posted on or anything like that?
Last edited by Cristan on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

It's not dead.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

Even Wine's "weekly newsletter" isn't weekly. If there's no news to write about, why bother posting a newsletter?
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

I think there's enough news for a casual ROS visitor. Possible topics: Some things that now work (IE, OOo 2.0 installer, ...) bugfixes, implementations (DX), what's going on with the cachemanager rewrite, what's still missing for 0.3.0, interesting information from the forum and mailing list, ...
But I know it's always a lot work to complete a full newsletter. Maybe TwoTailedFox just needed a little vacation. And maybe he would appreciate some help: some "free writers" that write small articles about things they find interesting and have some understanding of and then send them to TwoTailedFox, so he can gather some stuff together and doesn't have to write the full newsletter on his own.
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

I agree, there are a lot of things going on at the moment. What ThePhysicist said, but also what proposal about the auditing has been chosen, the almost complete networking, the amazing new look, the vast improvements in the number of commits every day, etc. Heck even TwoTailedFox had a few ideas:
TwoTailedFox wrote:With Development in SVN going to a crawl, I will be looking at highlighting the auditing process as it goes, as well as tracking new developments to the existing code.

And also, many thanks to those of you that emailed me. In the shadows I've been in recently, it's nice when people remind me I'm still somehow worth something.
I think he should have posted something a long time ago. Anyway, I've mailed him about this topic, and I hope that he'll reply soon. I also hope he'll just pick up his old work, because I really liked the newsletters.
TwoTailedFox

Post by TwoTailedFox »

Mass, mass apologies for seeming to disappear on all of this, that originally wasn't my intention at all, but RL just had other plans for me.

I will be restarting the Newsletter right where the last one left off... after I sift through the 500+ Commits since the last one I recieved via the Ros-Svn Mailing List (Mental Note: Can someone have a look at that? Those Emails were a godsend.)

But, I need to ask a favour. I've been out of the loop for a while, and I'm asking around what's changed since February. Klemens Friedl and DrFred have given me initial information, but a little help couldn't hurt.

I'm going to go sift through SVN, and log all changes to the code (That I can find), and from what I can see, I assume most of the code apart from the kernel has now been audited?

"It's not dead, I still see it creeping along the floor!"
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

TwoTailedFox wrote: I will be restarting the Newsletter right where the last one left off... after I sift through the 500+ Commits since the last one I recieved via the Ros-Svn Mailing List (Mental Note: Can someone have a look at that? Those Emails were a godsend.)
Just use ros-diffs until ros-svn returns. That's been back up and running for a while now and contains all the info ros-svn used to.
But, I need to ask a favour. I've been out of the loop for a while, and I'm asking around what's changed since February. Klemens Friedl and DrFred have given me initial information, but a little help couldn't hurt.
pop into IRC and pick our brains ;)
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

Another nice idea is the submission of ReactOS to the summer of code. For more info, check the topic and the wiki.
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

go with this

Code a Direct3D 9 compatible dll working under Windows (not a wrapper that calls OpenGL)
Code or improve any other Direct X module you feel comfortable with

I have a portion of it write aready for my rtw game

Although its up to you

There is a problem though, my copy can be used for research, but i dont recoment using in full, it uses some ms stuff from the MSDN developers libary.
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

Um yeah... I was talking about that it would be cool to write about in in the newsletter.

Speaking of which, how is it going with the newsletter? I would really like a new one, but if this isn't going to be possible due to RL, that's also fine with me. However, in the latter case, you should say so, and let the newsletter be removed from the frontpage.
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

No reply nor newsletter fror over a month. It's official: the newsletter is dead.

Maybe there is someone else here who can write a newsletter every now and then? I still think a newsletter on the frontpage is a good idea.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

We need a technical writer, something similar to what winehq provide.