Summer of Code 2006

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

banjax

Summer of Code 2006

Post by banjax »

Will reactos be a participating mentoring organization in the google summer of code 2006? If so, when will there be ideas posted on the google participating mentoring organization links?

Last year several of the BSD projects caught on to this opportunity early and managed to submit their interest early, then had a number of their student proposals accepted. The timeline for proposals for participating mentoring organisations is the 1st of May.

However if reactos can get organised early and submit their interest to google it may be possible to get several student proposals accepted. However to do that reactos needs to get a link up on summer of code site with ideas for student proposals.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Summer of code had a good effect on Wine, why wouldn't be the same for ReactOS?
I think it would be a very good idea to apply since reactOS needs more developers.

So I say go for it!
http://code.google.com/soc/
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

Not just Wine, it had a good effect on pretty much every organization that participated. And some of the projects were very huge deals, just look at Blender3d, OpenOffice and Gaim for starters. It seems like if ReactOS applied, they would be a shoe-in, since Google would benefit very much from a Windows compatable OS.
bratao

Post by bratao »

We need conect google !
It a must to Reactos grow !

Any developer enter in contact ? ??

:shock:
dark

Post by dark »

The best thing to do would to be send an email with a lot of the major developers' names attached. (from the general mailing list there is an item that says someone has already contacted google by themselves though...)
GvG

Post by GvG »

dark wrote:(from the general mailing list there is an item that says someone has already contacted google by themselves though...)
That someone is Aleksey Bragin, our Project Coordinator, not just some random person
Jaix
Moderator Team

Means we soc?

Post by Jaix »

Does that mean that we soc? (participate in Summer Of Code)?
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

If they except us ...
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

So if the application was already done, all we could do now is to hope that they accept us. :wink:
ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Looks like Google has accepted ReactOS into the 2006 Summer of Code challange. Aleksey Bragin's also asked for some ideas on 'small' projects to be suggested.

Original Post
My Blog Post (Shameless Plug ;))
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

Dunno if these are valid suggestions or if they are even possible, but it'd be nice to get sound somewhat fully working or maybe further implementing DirectX/OpenGL. There's probably a million and one things that could be done though :)
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

ScoTTie wrote:Looks like Google has accepted ReactOS into the 2006 Summer of Code challange.
COOL! 8) I'm sure it will have a great effect on the project! :D
whitehornmatt

Post by whitehornmatt »

This is very good for reactos, I think things like network, USB and other FS should be up the top of things to do
Cristan

The Summer of Code

Post by Cristan »

The official site for ideas for the summer of code is the one at the wiki. The current ideas:

* Winlogon/GINA. Develop an actual login and multi-user implementation in ReactOS
* Any windows application you might want to "clone" (=develop an alternative, FOSS implementation). MMC would be a good one.
* The explorer enhancements (look for 0.3.0 "wow factor" stuff, plus other explorer enhancements to make it more like windows, look in Roadmap for references)
* UXTheme support
* Sound architecture in ReactOS (having Windows XP/2003 sound architecture as a reference)
* Improving WIDL compiler in ReactOS (plus maybe something else)
* Develop ext3 IFS driver for Windows XP/2003
* Develop (improve) Reiser4 IFS driver for Windows XP/2003
* Develop (improve, finish) a Windows XP or 2003 compatible USB 2.0 stack based on Linux's USB drivers using a wrapper
* Code a Direct3D 9 compatible dll working under Windows
* Code or improve any other Direct X module you feel comfortable with
* ReactOS (Desktop) Search (system-wide, api, databases per volume, extented query interface, etc.; an alternative to Apple Spotlight and/or WinFS, see ReactOS_Search)
* Package Manager (download files, etc. and msi support; more info: ReactOS_Package_Manager)

Maybe we should remove/reject some of the ideas. For example: the "explorer enhangements" idea look a bit vague to me. Also, I think ReactOS would be helped a lot more with for example full USB 2.0 functionality, sound or DirectX 9, than with a FOSS clone from already existing windows software.

I also have 1 idea to add: better video driver support. Make it this good, that you simply can run the installer from (for example) nvidia.com, and maybe implement hardware acceleration for a few basic things (the cursor, moving windows, things like that).
Dr. Fred
Developer

Re: The Summer of Code

Post by Dr. Fred »

Cristan wrote:Maybe we should remove/reject some of the ideas. For example: the "explorer enhangements" idea look a bit vague to me. Also, I think ReactOS would be helped a lot more with for example full USB 2.0 functionality, sound or DirectX 9, than with a FOSS clone from already existing windows software.
Keep in mind that not everyone has the skills to write such code. Btw the ideas come from our Project Coordinator Fireball. But you can express your objections in the discussion page.
I also have 1 idea to add: better video driver support. Make it this good, that you simply can run the installer from (for example) nvidia.com, and maybe implement hardware acceleration for a few basic things (the cursor, moving windows, things like that).
Afaik, this is not enough work for a project.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?