some support questions

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

zzarr

some support questions

Post by zzarr »

Hi!

When I tested ReactOS (both live cd and real installation) my head went full of questions and thoughts!

So were shall I begin...

Is it possible:

ReactOS will support OpenSSH? (like linux, mm)

ReactOS will support X11? (tunneling graphics from and to)

ReactOS will support (ext2), ext3, reiserfs, nfs... (I love the ide of hard and soft links)

ReactOS will support linux executives?

and an thoughts:

it would be nice if there were both a linux like system and windows, like
"C:\ReactOS" could be a soft link to "/" and so on.

greetings and keep up the good work! I love it!
Zzarr
WaxDragon
Developer

Post by WaxDragon »

ReactOS will support these things just as windows does.

We are not trying to be linux.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

OpenSSH is the most likely, its near essential to have SSH security in an os.
zzarr

Post by zzarr »

Tanks for fast answers!

I still wonder if it will (or not) be possible to user X11 tunneling.

Or maby rdesktop?
WaxDragon
Developer

Post by WaxDragon »

PuTTY has been working for me for some time.
zzarr

Post by zzarr »

Okey but putty can't use X11 (correct me if I'm wrong)
What I wonder is simply if there's going to be a buildt in "cygwin" like system of some sort

So you can run both a ssh and a sshd under ReactOS.

And connect if a computer with ReactOS with "ssh -X <computer> -l <me>".

Like you can to a linux, solaris, ... computer.

Sorry if my question was unclear.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

ext2 will be in some release of ReactOS which release it will be I do not know. it depns on many thing. ext2 will be ReactOS second filesystem
it is almost complete in a branch. it only have varus problem in current trunks. we are waiting on rewrite cachmanger branch finish then we can start look into ext2 brach what problem it has.
zzarr

Post by zzarr »

Thanks!

Hope the problems ext2 will be solved! :)

A nother question... will ReactOS be Xen compatible?

When I installed ReactOS (0.2.9) I couldn't get the sockets to work...
aren't they working yet?
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Some did start a branch for XEN I do not know the status on it. how far it have been made. The devloper that did start on it are taking a break.
zzarr

Post by zzarr »

Okey!

How far is ReactOS from the first "useble" stage (then it's stable and you can run almost every windows program, and working sockets and so on)?

And will the graphics be more like XP instead of 98/NT?
I like the graphic in XP, but would rather run ReactOS! :)

The thought of throwing out my XP installation and run ReactOS instead is makeing me jump high! :)
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Unfortanatally, its quite unstable program wise since the os is close in to beta.
Im going to display my little bar. This isnt meant to piss anyone off, but:

[|||||>_______]
.1_____.3_____.5
I think we may drop alpha by 0.5. By then i think it will be stable. Unless this is the kind of project people always like to use unstable versions numbers for all of the releases, and there are projects like that..

I personnally dont care. This OS could be described as a project i was going to start a couple years ago. It would have tooken me too long just to make a build enviroment :) Infact, in linux sometimes its harder to install things. Tell me when mingw works in ReactOS becuase windows XP Wont get past late setup in QEmu.

Im having a setup related problem so i cant use the mozilla plugin.

EDIT: About visual themes: I think it could be done easily. Theme packages are really cool, i wonder if we can implement a windows XP theme system. And, i have to say, vista themes are only zip archives of images and one config file, so when it comes out, i wonder how much attention we'll be paying..
zzarr

Post by zzarr »

Thanks!

I know till will take quite a while before ReactOS i stable... (but when it is...)

Another question, are you planing on makeing any kind of paket installer system? (like apt in debian and yam in redhats linuxes, ...)

It would be nice!

And another thing, what about backup possibilitys? (Maby a possibility to mirror a drive or partition)

Keep it up!
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

We have packet mangers in rossapss under devloping
I do not know how far it have comes
Jaix
Moderator Team

It is difficult to prophesy, especially about the future.

Post by Jaix »

Hello, it is hard to tell when ReactOS is going to be usable, but I would guess that 0.5 will be pretty good, but that depends on what you need. Networking and sockets will be working in a near future, and then you will be able to use some network software but because there is still so much that lacks in other areas you have to try every app one by one. I have been able to run UltraVNC Client on ReactOS a long time ago, but I didn't succede with rdesktop or MSTSC but I'm sure it will in the future.
ReactOS aims for total Windows compatibility for software as well as drivers so in time all the things you have mentioned will work, but hey, we are before 0.3 release, so be patient.
zzarr

Post by zzarr »

Hi!

I'm patient... and antustiastic. :)

Thanks for your answer.

You know... when that mail pops upp in my inbox... I can't do anything exept go to this site.... it's fun to read the answers :)

I realy whant to help to, but I don't think I got the knowledge or the resources to do it.

If not delphi programming helps which I doubt (well there's a list of windows API's in delphi which I could give you).

greetings