ReactOS icon set

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

I think you should also replace folder, hard drive, "command prompt" and "my computer" icons with the tango ones.
(to have consitant icon set)
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

cmoibenlepro wrote:I think you should also replace folder, hard drive, "command prompt" and "my computer" icons with the tango ones.
(to have consitant icon set)
*grits teeth*
Beware, son, ye be on shaky grounds.
It compiles, let's ship it!
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Thanks for your work and engagement
Last edited by Dominik on Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Now I have to say something to the Tango icon set:
Some of them are good, but a lot of them are ugly or unrecognizable. They may look good when they are very big, but icons should be also recognizable, when they are small. Many icon designers try do make very realistic icons, but that's IMHO not the purpose of an icon. An icon should be easy to recognize!

[ external image ]
This one is really ugly. It looks like a bunch of red and gray on a black background. kokodin's icons look much better!

[ external image ]
This one is stupid. Everyone uses black for these kind of icons. These ones are gray. And they will be on grey background by default.

[ external image ]
Like this one: a bunch of dark gray (on light gray background). No contrast. You cannot recognize much.

[ external image ]
Can you imagine, what this icon means? It's almost impossible to see what that icon should represent.

[ external image ]
A typical case of too much detail! It looks blurry and not very colorful. There's no need for waved flags at that icon size (or at all).

[ external image ] and [ external image ]
You cannot recognize any difference at first sight.

And there are more:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

In fact I dislike many of the icons! Many of them are gray, boring and barely recognizable.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Submit new ones to their project. The idea of TANGO is to get community input.
Go Huskers!
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

ThePhysicist wrote: [ external image ]
This one is stupid.
Please be more tactful. Constructive criticism is one thing but calling something "stupid" is just mean.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Floyd wrote:
ThePhysicist wrote: [ external image ]
This one is stupid.
Please be more tactful. Constructive criticism is one thing but calling something "stupid" is just mean.
Sorry, you are right. :oops:
OK, I don't like it, as it is looking different to standard icons. I think black would be better.
BTW: Do you mean "mean" in the sense of "bitchy" or "misarable" or "average"? :roll:
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

If you try SuSE 10 then you can see the icons in action. They look quite good in practice.
Go Huskers!
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

ThePhysicist wrote: Sorry, you are right. :oops:
OK, I don't like it, as it is looking different to standard icons. I think black would be better.
BTW: Do you mean "mean" in the sense of "bitchy" or "misarable" or "average"? :roll:
heh. i agree, black would be better. like you said, it's all but universal that those kinds of buttons are black; but who knows? maybe if they throw enough "different" out there, maybe we'll see something that's cool and different that people like.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

mf wrote:
MadRat wrote:I think yellow is the defacto standard folder color in all OS'es anymore.
[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]
Actually, if you start counting, there aren't that many OSes at all, and only a few of them have yellow folders (most notably Windows). I find it an interesting fact to say the least that the window manager that wishes to be most like Windows (KDE) has blue/grey folders. In the end it really doesn't matter much.
I always liked the look of Mac 9 myself. Back in the day, when Mac 9 was "new" the icons rocked the house. Maybe we should do high color, high resolution versions of those?
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

ThePhysicist wrote:Now I have to say something to the Tango icon set:
Half of the icons you quote we don't even use.

I'm guessing the white arrow is from service manager.
I made it white to be a bit different. Black is boring.