A new operating system out soon.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

jason.b.c

A new operating system out soon.

Post by jason.b.c »

I was asked if i could tell people about this, here's the website->

http://wallyos.16.forumer.com

If i wasn't supposed to post this in here then i appologise in advance. :roll:
StringCheesian

Post by StringCheesian »

What's implemented so far? Processes, paging, memory management, filesystem?
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

StringCheesian wrote:What's implemented so far? Processes, paging, memory management, filesystem?
uuummm, Well i'm not really sure, you see because it's not my project so i wouldn't know, it's just that i was asked nicely if i could tell some people about it so thats ah what i'ma doin. :wink: :roll:

But really though check out the forum, ask the guy when it might be done.!
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top
Hello everyone. This is the first post in the blog. Smile. Well today the development for WallyOS Codename Genises BETA 1 has started. The BETA will be out soon but you will need a specific amout of posts to download it unless you contact me first at wallyosdev@hotmail.com

If you would like more info plese feel free to email me at wallyosdev@hotmail.com
Yeah, a new OS, wich started development on 1st/2nd of April and wich will be beta soon... ;-)
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

Yeah, a new OS, wich started development on 1st/2nd of April and wich will be beta soon... Wink
Do i detect a hint of sarcasim, There's no need to be rude, I was just simply asked if i could mention it somewhere so i did, Its not my project i don't have anything to do with it, and my first impression was that this os was allmost done because why else would there be a forum for a system that dosen't exist yet?

Just forget i mentioned it then. Somebody can delete this thread.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

jason.b.c wrote:
Yeah, a new OS, wich started development on 1st/2nd of April and wich will be beta soon... Wink
Do i detect a hint of sarcasim,
Definitely!
There's no need to be rude,
I didn't want to be rude, it's just sarcasm.
I was just simply asked if i could mention it somewhere so i did, Its not my project i don't have anything to do with it, and my first impression was that this os was allmost done because why else would there be a forum for a system that dosen't exist yet?
Yes there's a forum and you might have noticed that you are the only one in that forum ;-)
And you might have read that the development began few days ago and it's already BETA ;-)
And there's no information at all on the page.
It's nothing more than a (failed) 1st April joke.
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

:oops:
It's nothing more than a (failed) 1st April joke.
You really think this??, Damn it.!

Yea i'm sure your really going to get a good laugh out of that. :lol:

Not too funny to me, i thought it was serious. :x
tomleem

been there, fell for it

Post by tomleem »

On http://www.netlabs.org , they have a REXX operating system that was released on 04-01. I thought it was real but told it was an April fools day joke. :!:

:lol:

8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: been there, fell for it

Post by Jaix »

tomleem wrote:On http://www.netlabs.org , they have a REXX operating system that was released on 04-01. I thought it was real but told it was an April fools day joke. :!:

:lol:

8)
Looks like someone else has pulled your leg too

http://tomleem.homestead.com

is unavailable...
vperez69

TinyKrnl

Post by vperez69 »

Talking about new OS's, I just discovered TinyKrnl. Their website explains that their purpose is similiar to ReactOS, yet subtly different, and various of their contributors work here as well.

do these projects work hand in hand, or are they competing projects that share contributors?
ThePhysicist
Developer

Re: TinyKrnl

Post by ThePhysicist »

vperez69 wrote:Talking about new OS's, I just discovered TinyKrnl. Their website explains that their purpose is similiar to ReactOS, yet subtly different, and various of their contributors work here as well.

do these projects work hand in hand, or are they competing projects that share contributors?
Very interesting! I havent know of this before.
It looks like it's a side project of the ReactOS devs, not a concurrent project, wich wouldn't make sense ;-)
It's even hosted on the same svn server.

If I understood it correctly, the focus is on the kernel only and it is not planned as a real Windows replacement as ReactOS, but more for developing/learning/debugging things. I am sure, TinyKRNL and ROS share the kernel code as much as possible.
That may be a reason why some of the developers haven't commited much to ROS recently, but are more working on the kernel. Hopefully we will see some kernel enhancements in the future, imported from that project. I couldn't download/checkout the code yet.
But maybe it's only to get around that nasty kernel audit somehow ;-)
vperez69

What confuses me is ...

Post by vperez69 »

You would think then that TinyKrnl would be a subset of ReactOS, as in theory, both are open sourced kernels compatible with XP. It seems to me that ReactOS would be add-ons to TinyKrnl work. no?
geertvdijk

Re: What confuses me is ...

Post by geertvdijk »

vperez69 wrote:You would think then that TinyKrnl would be a subset of ReactOS, as in theory, both are open sourced kernels compatible with XP. It seems to me that ReactOS would be add-ons to TinyKrnl work. no?
I never head of this project before, but it looks pretty amazing. with the win 2k3 sp1 stuff... Useful for Ros, this might be. Yoda rocks. lol
-graey-
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

The project is pretty new. It began after the audit things started. So I think, it might be an attempt to speperate kernel development from the general OS development to reduce probable future legal issues.
The same way as WINE is not affected by the ROS audit/legal issues.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

[TinyKrnl] began after the audit things started. So I think, it might be an attempt to speperate kernel development from the general OS development to reduce probable future legal issues.
TinyKrnl is a project of a ReactOS dev who want to code that for learning purpose and for a documentation book.

Afaik, he (and some other) doesn't use ReactOS code.
Some of the documentation may become useful for ReactOS in future.
No code sharing.
The same way as WINE is not affected by the ROS audit/legal issues.
Don't spread bullshit around.

Which legal issues?

WineHQ has their own Code Audit now:
http://www.winehq.org/?issue=310#Softwa ... r%20Update