ROS ON THE XBOX!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PLowran

ROS ON THE XBOX!

Post by PLowran »

I read and tutorial somewhere and the person had mentioned that they had the react os ported to the XboX.
does anyone here know anything about this and how to do it?
They have win98 and win2k on there but it has to be run through a emulator, thru xbox linux, If someone knew how to hava a straight bootable ROS on the XboX that would be Dope.
Phil
Davy

Post by Davy »

You must configure the build system first, then compile and have it make a livecd, I do not know if bootcd would actually install let alone work but livecd will.

1. Open config.template.rbuild in a program like Notepad.
2. Change <property name="SARCH" value="" /> to <property name="SARCH" value="xbox" />
3. At the command prompt in that folder, mingw32-make
4. After it all builds, mingw32-make livecd

It will then create a livecd CD image which you burn using whatever burner software that supports writing images.
PLowran

Post by PLowran »

Has this been tested? and also I dont know wht you mean by configure a build? Is that just doing what you specify in direction number 1?
I am also wondering 2 other things...

1) Will this notice the FatX Drive? theres really no point if I cannot save to the Xbox.

&

2) Is it possible to install this to the XboX? Also being able to read the FatX? I have found a Port of windows CE for the xbox but its no good to me if I cannot run Windows Programs and it also doesnt have Keyboard Support. Plus I think the Project has been cancelled so I would expect an update with the support. I have tons of WinCE programs becuse I used to have a PocketPC. But its still not as cool as Win9x or up.
Everyone has Win 9x and 2k running but you first have to Run a Linux Emulator and then the Windows, and thats too much work to get it working.

My mission is to make a PC out of an XboX for my Kid Brother, but so that he can also play games.

Thanks for your helpl so far though, anymore will help!
Philip
PLowran

oops

Post by PLowran »

also where is that file located?
I have an iso which i can explore in with WinRar, but cannot find that file?
Phil
Fork

Post by Fork »

hmm.. from what i understand, you need a modified version of the cromwell bios.. wich, only some of the developers got..

btw, im not shure if i read your post correctly but you can't run xbox games On reactos, nor linux or ce, if you put it on the xbox..
PLowran

ok

Post by PLowran »

Uhh with WinCE, you have to boot to your SoftMod Dash (if you know anyhting on Softmodding XboX's) and then go through your file explorer and boot the Executable to run Win CE. So thats no biggie there.
Also for the linux I believe the Xbox jsut boots to your SoftMod dash and you have to go through you menu to the applications and then it will start Linux, like going through your start menu in Windows to find a program.

But if this is at all possible I would love to know what anyone can come up with
Philip
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

At this point, ReactOS on the Xbox is heavily in the development stage and requires a bit of know-how to do, so if you don't understand what is meant by "configure the build," then putting ReactOS on your Xbox is probably something you don't want to do at this point.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Currently it is the best idea, to put linux on the xbox. There are several ways to get it on it even without modifying anything on the xbox (as long as you have an xbox before v1.6). You will then still be able to use the xbox normally for games (except xbox live), but you can also select linux from the dashboard.
There's a step-by-step guide on xbox-linux page. And if you think you are not experienced enough, there are also people, who will help you/do it for you for a little gift.
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

Reactos on an xbox is ill practical, linux is a better choice, linux has usb suport, and allows you to still play games. So you can get a mouse and keyboard going
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

Fireball's USB code is nearly (may allready be?) mature enough to start keyboards and some mice. It may be possible to get a USB keyboard and mouse working on the current SVN.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

we've had the mouse and keyboard working on the xbox.
Ferret-Simpson

Post by Ferret-Simpson »

Just slightly off-Topic. . Wierd:

My Workstation and PDA run Server OS's, My Security Server runs a WorkstationOS and my Bedside Table runs Amiga Research OS.

NYAAAH! :D
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

I assume you are mocking my signature. (So many people do...)

However, that is a pretty neat claim. I have recently come into posession of an old arcade console upright that is broken, and intend to hook it up as a MAME arcade machine. Does your table have a Mini ITX inside?

Perhaps someday ReactOS will be stable enough to run on the XBOX and be worthwhile--- when that day comes, I will hook it up with a wireless USB keyboard and mouse, and use it to surf the internet, and watch DivX movies from my couch. I realize I could do that allready with XBOX linux, but I dont really like Linux.
Ferret-Simpson

Post by Ferret-Simpson »

Actually, it's just a highly modified desktop that's been mounted under the table. Glows quite nicely. It's actually got 2 OS's on it, and no (working) network connection. AROS for playing retro-hacker, and Windows ME for playing Final Fantasy 7.

Actually, you tend to find after playing with the Zaurus PDA, that Linux being a server OS is complete DSDJSF.

My two workstations run OpenBSD 3.9/Sparc64 and Slackware 10.2 respectively, My PDA's run Linux 2.6.17 and Windows Mobile 5. My wristwatch runs PalmOS 4.1.2, and my security server runs IRIX 5.3, although it needs some serious maintenance and reconfiguring (Bought it with no screen and a dead NVRAM: NVRAM has been replaced, screen as of yet has not)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

PLowran wrote:I read and tutorial somewhere and the person had mentioned that they had the react os ported to the XboX. does anyone here know anything about this and how to do it?
I know how to do do. I made some tests for Fireball recently. 0.2.5 is available for booting on XBox, but regardless, what you do, 0.3.0 will NOT boot on XBox yet.
Davy wrote:You must configure the build system first, then compile and have it make a livecd, I do not know if bootcd would actually install let alone work but livecd will.
1. Open config.template.rbuild in a program like Notepad.
2. Change <property name="SARCH" value="" /> to <property name="SARCH" value="xbox" />
LiveCD will NOT work. You need to do a "make install" on a folder and copy this files to E: on XBox. And btw, Davy, config.template.rbuild needs to be saved to config.rbuild to work then.
PLowran wrote:Will this notice the FatX Drive?
Yes it will. ReactOS fully supports FatX.
Fork wrote:hmm.. from what i understand, you need a modified version of the cromwell bios.. wich, only some of the developers got..
and some testers, too (Like me) ;-) But youre right, you need a modded Cromwell Bios Loader
PLowran wrote:Also for the linux I believe the Xbox jsut boots to your SoftMod dash and you have to go through you menu to the applications and then it will start Linux
No that easy. You load the Cromwell Bios Loader (Known as Xromwell, too) This loader replaces/adds some Features a real BIOS would have and so you can run Linux on XBox.

And now, just wait till is gets released. Fireball will continue work on it as soon as he got some spare time.