IE7 works in SVN_0.3

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GvG

Post by GvG »

ged wrote:Development stopped because of Harmuts mail
Yeah, let's blame this on Harmut and shoot the messenger. I'm not saying sending the email was the smartest thing to do, but that doesn't change the fact that he did point out real, existing problems. In my view those problems are the cause, not Harmuts mail.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

I'm not saying Harmut's mail is the reason for dirty code, or blaming him for anything.
I'm just pointing out that development stopped due to his mail. If that mail hadn't been sent, development would never have stopped.
If the situation had been handled differently, development may have taken a different path too.

Whoever's fault it was, and people will have different views, development as it was stopped the day that mail was sent.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hartmut public was/is one reason of many ReactOS did stop devlopeed. Another reason was that casper did close down the SVN tree and did take it offline for a time. another reason is many of reactos devlopers need a break after all that happen. But some us will be back soon as coder. I will try start this weekend again. (I have been say it for some time now)
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

Will this browser work in react os? http://www.myie2.com It looks preaty cool!
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

jason.b.c wrote:Will this browser work in react os? http://www.myie2.com It looks preaty cool!
System requirement is IE 5.5. I think it's more an IE addon than a complete browser like Firefox. If you get IE running, it will probably run, too. But I still prefer Firefox.
jason.b.c

Post by jason.b.c »

ThePhysicist wrote:
jason.b.c wrote:Will this browser work in react os? http://www.myie2.com It looks preaty cool!
System requirement is IE 5.5. I think it's more an IE addon than a complete browser like Firefox. If you get IE running, it will probably run, too. But I still prefer Firefox.
It looks like a whole browser to me..! And yes I too still prefer firefox..!
vperez69

Post by vperez69 »

Any Browser that uses the IE control in it, is definitely an IE clone. If the requirement is IE5.5, then he is using the IE control, and hence, IE with your own window dressing.

:D
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Don't forget how IE is actually designed. Iexplore.exe is less than 100KB, and there isn't much else in the internet explorer folder at all. All the real components are libraries in your system, that can be accessed by any web browser that wants to use them, such as MSN explorer or crazybrowser. Using those libraries, it takes little effort to clone IE. They then spend a moderate amount of effort adding stuff like tabs, a download manager, etc.
vperez69

Post by vperez69 »

Exactly - IE is actually a form with a bunch of controls. The active control being the IE ActiveX control. Any program that requires IE 5.5 or better to be installed, is using this control, and hence, is nothing more than a window-dressed IE.
steveh

IE dlls overwrite system dlls?

Post by steveh »

You probably know that on windows systems, I mean windows < XP, example NT4 or W98, IE installation not only installs it's DLL libraries.
It also overwrites some system DLL with it's own versions!
Would an IE installation on reactos also install "with it's ellbows" and overwrite system dlls?

And i'm quite sceptic if "microsoft update" would work and install the life-essential security patches the IE needs every 4 weeks.

PS:
I'm very uncomfortable about IE and i will not permanently install it on reactos.
vperez69

Re: IE dlls overwrite system dlls?

Post by vperez69 »

steveh wrote: You probably know that on windows systems, I mean windows XP, example NT4 or W98, IE installation not only installs it's DLL libraries.
It also overwrites some system DLL with it's own versions!
Would an IE installation on reactos also install "with it's ellbows" and overwrite system dlls?
Interesting point. If ReactOS is re-writing portions of the commerical part into open-source versions, and then an application (such as IE) installs a newer, commercial version, will that lead to legal repercussions?
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

There could be legal problem as I'm sure that the liscense says explicitly that IE should be installed only on a legal windows copy.
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

8) If any thing it is an end-user dispute, It is up to the user to install the software.

It is at no fault a softwear makers problem if someones softwear runs crossplatform. Other wise their would be loads of problems
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi all

how do i setup ie 7 to run on ReactOS
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

Install an early IE, copy all IE7 files from an XP comp

If you cant find a copy of IE, install AOL 4.0

Change the old regkey from your old ie

Time - 22 min

GoodLuck